[comp.sys.cbm] C64 Robotics Hackers' Advice Wanted

wampner@next3 (Eric Wampner) (06/05/91)

In article <1991May17.201040.28205@athena.mit.edu> ttrueger@athena.mit.edu
(Timothy T. Rueger) writes:
> Hi,
>
> I've been away from my C64 for a few years now, but I'd like to recycle
> it and do some hardware hacking.  I'd like to control some DC Lego
> motors I have using my C64, and possibly be able to receive sensor
> information as well.
>
> I presume this should be done over the parallel port.  (Or not?)
> Ideally, I'd like to just be able to send/sense logic high and low
> signals and let my motor power supply system and sensors handle the
> rest.
>
> Any advice or pointers to good documentation?  Or is there something
> simple out there I could buy that would do this for me?
<sig deleted>

Well, I am with the UCF Robotics Society, and we run our robot with
a C64 (upgrading to the amiga, better developement env).

In the beginning, we used a Fisher-Techniques (I don't know the
spelling, wasn't my baby). I think it was a serial port job.
I don't know if they are still avail, may be expensive. They
produce lots of put together robot packages (education, i guess)

Currently we have this horrible memory mapped hardware. Works
great ( most of the time ), amazing thing we haven't blown a 64
yet.

Hmm, simple description-> When you access memory in a computer.
you cause address lines to go to a particular number,
ie, if you want 38420, then the address lines correspond to that
byte in memory. So on the cartridge port are 2 ports which
correspond to blocks of memory ( I don't remember which ones)
You set up your hardware to look like memory, ie your hardware
has to have ports which read/write info, then you can just
peek and poke your information. The address lines tell your
hardware which byte is being read/write, and then your
hardware either places information on the data lines, or
reads them.

Sounds simple? Well if so, I can provide some sample schematics
and a more detailed description. If you are lost and don't
understand, well, I am afraid it would take a couple of digital
design courses to help you. i am just a CS major, with an
annoying tendency to end up with a soldering iron in one hand.
(and a piece of robot in the other).

I hope this doesn't deter you, it is fun, but it certainly
isn't easy. As for good docs, well i don't know of any,
make sure you have the Commodore Programmer's manual, you
need it for addresses and such.

Eric Wampner
eww@engr.ucf.edu
wampner@next1.acme.ucf.edu