[comp.sys.cbm] File recovery from trashed disks,,,

lncjb@cc.newcastle.edu.au (06/03/91)

Does anyone have a program able to recover files from disks with
	destroyed directories?  Hopefully this could be emailed or posted.

D-L-K@cup.portal.com (Patrick Andreas Maher) (06/07/91)

There is not really a program that will help a bad directory but there are
a couple that will go back and undelete any if they have been scratched
from the directory.  I myself am able to restore a directory but it would
almost be unable to tell it over mail or even over the phone.  Let me take
one thing back.  There is a program that will restore a 1581 directory if
it happens to get messes up.

alfalfa@milton.u.washington.edu (Corey Lawson) (06/08/91)

In article <43039@cup.portal.com> D-L-K@cup.portal.com (Patrick Andreas Maher) writes:
>There is not really a program that will help a bad directory but there are
>a couple that will go back and undelete any if they have been scratched
>from the directory.  I myself am able to restore a directory but it would
>almost be unable to tell it over mail or even over the phone.  Let me take
>one thing back.  There is a program that will restore a 1581 directory if
>it happens to get messes up.

Well, unscratching a disk only goes so far, especially if you have changed
any of the info on the disk.  Then, when you validate the disk, you could
totally lose some info.  Well, not totally lose info, if you have a good
disk editor.

I have a disk editor (it is called "Disk Surgeon"...it rocks) that will
print the link information for any sector.  You can have it go to a printer,
too...
Of course, this would probably mean doing at least some of the work by hand.
But the tedious part (getting the link information) would be done.

Now...perhaps someone should write a program that does this for EVERY sector...

-corey lawson
alfalfa@milton.u.washington.edu

ps:  anyone with info about Koronis Rift?  anyone with a 1581 for sale?

poe@oasys.dt.navy.mil (Daniel Poe) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun3.132545.10228@cc.newcastle.edu.au> lncjb@cc.newcastle.edu.au writes:
>Does anyone have a program able to recover files from disks with
>        destroyed directories?  Hopefully this could be emailed or posted.

The Maverick Utilities includes a program to do just this.  I used it
once to recover a disk with a corrupted directory.  It also recovered
previously deleted files and pieces of files.  As I recall, it named
the files it found as F1, F2, etc.  Also, you may have to edit the file
type after the recovery.  I believe all recovered files were recreated
as prg files, so other file types would have to be modified to the correct
type.

Hope this helps.

DP