[comp.sys.cbm] C64 and Lazer Printers

bbrewer@lamar.colostate.edu (Robert Brewer) (06/24/91)

I am currently completing a Dissertation on my little C64.  The entire
document is saved on disk using Word Writer 5.

While printing a draft copy, my printer began to smudge badly. I am not
yet through experimenting with different papers and ribons.

Has anyone had any experience connecting Lazer printers to a C64?  A nice
clean Lazer printout would make a very nice manuscript.  I have thought of
converting my WW5 files to ASCII and sending them to my IBM at school, but
that would take too long.  I could probably rent a Lazer right here in town if
I could get the proper interface.

Please answer via email.   Thanks in advance for your advice.
Bob

|-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=|
| Bob Brewer, Instructor of Low Brass and Music Education                    |
| Director, Jazz Studies and the Rocky Mountain Jazz Orchestra (RMJO)        |
| Department of Music, Theatre and Dance                                     |
| Colorado State University at Fort Collins                                  |
| Office phone: 303-491-6957                                                 |
| Internet address: bbrewer@lamar.ColoState.EDU                              |
|=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-|

72560.3467@CompuServe.COM (Howard Herman) (06/27/91)

To:   >INTERNET comp-sys-cbm@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: comp.sys.cbm

bbrewer@lamar.colostate.edu (Robert Brewer) writes:

>Has anyone had any...

As long as your dissertation doesn't require graphics, you can be up and
running with a laser printer very quickly.

Most (but not all, so check before you buy or rent) lasers have settings for
IBM and/or Epson emulation printer input.

So select this option on the laser, use any Word Writer 5 compatable printer
file driver (IBM or Epson), and use any of the printer interfaces to connect
the laser to your C64.

My preference is the Xetec Super Graphic Jr.  However ALL the interfaces on
the market today perform very well.

For graphics, `fancy' fonts, and the like GEOS is the way to go with a laser
printer.
Howard Herman
INET:  72560.3467@CompuServe.COM