[comp.sys.cbm] C128 terms & archivers

metahawk@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Wayne G Rigby) (06/15/91)

Now that I think I've mastered Xmodem, I'm looking for a terminal program for
my 128 that's much better than what I got with my 1670 modem.  I need a
VT100/102/220 (anyone of these) terminal emulator, preferably with kermit
protocol, but I'll settle for Xmodem.  It must operate at 1200 baud and 9600
baud.  (Well, 9600 baud would be EXTREMELY nice, but not absolutely necessary.)
If someone could point out where such a program might exist and where the
dearchiving program (if one is needed) also is located.

                        Thanks for any help that can be rendered,

                                   Wayne Rigby
                                   Computer and Systems Engineer (in training)
                                   Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
                                   metahawk@rpi.edu

desimone@cse.uta.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (06/16/91)

In article <809k4=d@rpi.edu> metahawk@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Wayne G Rigby) writes:
>I need a VT100/102/220 terminal emulator, preferably with kermit
>protocol, but I'll settle for Xmodem.

Kermit 2.2 will fill your needs.  It is a C64 program, but if you run it
in 64 mode on a C128, it will recognize this and use 2 MHz and 80-column
output.  It has VT100 emulation and Kermit protocol.  However, it has
little else in the way of features, such as no capture buffer, no
dialing directory, etc.

--
David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..

S1.KGD@isumvs.iastate.edu (Keith Davis) (06/17/91)

In article <809k4=d@rpi.edu>,
metahawk@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Wayne G Rigby) writes:
>Now that I think I've mastered Xmodem, I'm looking for a terminal program for
>my 128 that's much better than what I got with my 1670 modem.  I need a
>VT100/102/220 (anyone of these) terminal emulator, preferably with kermit
>protocol, but I'll settle for Xmodem.  It must operate at 1200 baud and 9600
>baud.  (Well, 9600 baud would be EXTREMELY nice, but not absolutely necessary.)
>If someone could point out where such a program might exist and where the
>dearchiving program (if one is needed) also is located.
>
>                        Thanks for any help that can be rendered,
>
>                                   Wayne Rigby
>                                   Computer and Systems Engineer (in training)
>                                   Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
>                                   metahawk@rpi.edu

I would suggest getting ahold of Bob's Pro Term 128 v2.3.  It has good
emulation for the ones you listed.  It will go 2400, but I'm not sure about 9600.
It will also take advantage of your 64k video chip if installed.  This will
take your buffer from 60k to about 124k (nice improvement :)

    Keith

alanw@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Alan Weber) (06/18/91)

How do you get it to take advantage of the 64k video chip?

Thanks, Alan

S1.KGD@isumvs.iastate.edu (Keith Davis) (06/20/91)

In article <8230003@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM>,
alanw@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Alan Weber) writes:
>How do you get it to take advantage of the 64k video chip?
>
>Thanks, Alan
I think it uses it automatically..  I'm not exactly sure.

72560.3467@CompuServe.COM (Howard Herman) (06/20/91)

To:   >INTERNET comp-sys-cbm@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: comp.sys.cbm

S1.KGD@isumvs.iastate.edu (Keith Davis) writes:

>I would suggest getting ahold of Bob's Pro Term 128 v2.3.  It has good
>emulation for the ones you listed. It will go 2400, but I'm not sure about 9600
>It will also take advantage of your 64k video chip if installed.  This will
>take your buffer from 60k to about 124k (nice improvement :)

How do you access a larger buffer with BTP?

I use version 2.3 (the one with the dongle).  While it runs from a RAMLink at
lightening speed (boots in one second, e.g.) its buffer is still 60k.

-------------
Howard Herman
INET:  72560.3467@CompuServe.COM

ggold@nuge103.its.rpi.edu (Gordon Lloyd Goldberg) (06/22/91)

72560.3467@CompuServe.COM (Howard Herman) writes:

>To:   >INTERNET comp-sys-cbm@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.cbm

>S1.KGD@isumvs.iastate.edu (Keith Davis) writes:

>>I would suggest getting ahold of Bob's Pro Term 128 v2.3.  It has good
>>emulation for the ones you listed. It will go 2400, but I'm not sure about 9600
>>It will also take advantage of your 64k video chip if installed.  This will
>>take your buffer from 60k to about 124k (nice improvement :)

>How do you access a larger buffer with BTP?
>
>I use version 2.3 (the one with the dongle).  While it runs from a RAMLink at
>lightening speed (boots in one second, e.g.) its buffer is still 60k.
I've had alot of problems with BobsTerm - I really don't like its VT100
emulation at all - from what I've seen, the best available is definitely
DESTERM - so spring for the $25 bucks for the shareware registration and
get it - my fee is in the mail....

- Gordon

--
Gordon Lloyd Goldberg                   <ggold@rpi.edu>
 "mens agitat molem"  <userGACN@rpitsmts.BITNET> <The_Flamemaster@mts.rpi.edu>

S1.KGD@isumvs.iastate.edu (Keith Davis) (06/24/91)

>How do you access a larger buffer with BTP?
>
>I use version 2.3 (the one with the dongle).  While it runs from a RAMLink at
>lightening speed (boots in one second, e.g.) its buffer is still 60k.

What?  Mine doesn't require a dongle?  I have a friend with a 128D
with the 64k video chip.  When we use BTP on it, he gets the extra
64k video memory used as additional buffer space.  Don't ask me how to
access it, as it uses it automatically on his 128D (64k RAM video memory chip).

72560.3467@CompuServe.COM (Howard Herman) (06/27/91)

To:   >INTERNET comp-sys-cbm@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Newsgroups: comp.sys.cbm

S1.KGD@isumvs.iastate.edu (Keith Davis) writes:

>What?

A flat 128 here has the 64k video chips, but BTP doesn't know that.

Was a custom hack done to BTP to let it access the extra RAM?

If this is a standard feature of the current version being sold, can you tell
me where I can get it.

Thanks!