[comp.sys.cbm] RESET button for C64

house_s@cho006.cho.ge.com (06/13/91)

I would very much like to have a reset button for my C64.  I figure all that is
needed is a normally-open push button that is connected between the RESET
line and +5V or possibly connected between
_____
RESET and ground, if RESET is active low.  Is this all that is needed, or must
there be anything else?

Thanks.

Stephen

grx0644@uoft02.utoledo.edu (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.125540.2364@cho006.cho.ge.com>, house_s@cho006.cho.ge.com writes:

> I would very much like to have a reset button for my C64.  I figure all that is
> needed is a normally-open push button that is connected between the RESET
> line and +5V or possibly connected between
> _____
> RESET and ground, if RESET is active low.  Is this all that is needed, or must
> there be anything else?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Stephen
Steve:

Simply connect an normally open push button switch in series between the ground
and the RESET line on the user port  (pin 3). I suggest that you connect 2
switched in series so you don't accidently press the button and losing work you
have entered: see ascii graphic:

                           ---         ---
pin 3 (user port)----------o o---------o o--------------gnd
              	           sw1         sw2

This will reset your computer and save your power supply the destructive surge
of a total power-up.

Hope this helps (its on my C64 and works fine).

Tony
|Anthony Paul Schliesser 			GRX0644@UOFT02.UTOLEDO.EDU|
|The University of Toledo			GRX0644@UOFT02.BITNET     |
|College of Pharmacy				FAC2966@UOFT01.UTOLEDO.EDU|
|						FAC2966@UOFT01.BITNET     |

dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks) (06/14/91)

house_s@cho006.cho.ge.com writes:

>I would very much like to have a reset button for my C64.  I figure all that is
>needed is a normally-open push button that is connected between the RESET
>line and +5V or possibly connected between
>RESET and ground, if RESET is active low.  Is this all that is needed, or must
>there be anything else?

*Dont* connect RESET to a +5V line; you will at best simply blow your
fuse, and at worst have a burnt out motherboard.

Connecting RESET to ground is what you want to do to effectively create
a reset situation.

--
dean@coplex.uucp (Dean Brooks)
Copper Electronics, Inc.

house_s@cho006.cho.ge.com (06/15/91)

In article <1991Jun13.125540.2364@cho006.cho.ge.com>, I wrote:

> I would very much like to have a reset button for my C64.  I figure all that
> is needed is a normally-open push button that is connected between the RESET
> line and +5V or possibly connected between
> _____
> RESET and ground, if RESET is active low.  Is this all that is needed, or must
> there be anything else?

Well, I've already gotten a boat-load of replies.

In summary,  _____
just connect RESET to ground via a normally-open switch.  One of the easiest
ways of doing this is to connect Pin 1 to Pin 3 of the cartridge port
(expansion port, I think)

Thanks to:

Steve Mane
Golando
Phil
Frank Prindle
Stephen Coan -- Said to use a one-shot button and to attach to IC that
		generates the RESET signal

Stephen House
house_s@cho006.cho.ge.com

cgreen@essex.ac.uk (06/15/91)

From article <1991Jun13.125540.2364@cho006.cho.ge.com>, by house_s@cho006.cho.ge.com:

> I would very much like to have a reset button for my C64.  I figure all that is
> needed is a normally-open push button that is connected between the RESET
> line and +5V or possibly connected between
> _____
> RESET and ground, if RESET is active low.  Is this all that is needed, or must
> there be anything else?

The second version is right.  What is needed to do a reset is to pull
the RESET line down to 0v.  This will cause much less trauma to the
chips in your C64 and the PSU than a power-down and power up.

Chris Green

(chris@kbss.bt.co.uk  or  cgreen@essex.ac.uk)

.

desimone@cse.uta.edu (Fuzzy Fox) (06/16/91)

In article <5318@servax0.essex.ac.uk> cgreen@essex.ac.uk writes:
>....  This will cause much less trauma to the
>chips in your C64 and the PSU than a power-down and power up.

This is true, although not all programs are resettable.  Some programs
attempt to trap reset by storing boot ROM code at $8000 in memory.  And
they succeed, too.  Often you'll find that certain programs cause your
computer to lockup on reset.

IMO, this is bogus programming.  If a program does not want you to reset
and start hacking its code, then the program should instead just do a
simple CLEAR MEMORY function, then continue with the normal reset.  No
need to KILL the computer.

--
David DeSimone, aka "Fuzzy Fox" on some networks.          /!/!
INET:    an207@cleveland.freenet.edu                      /  ..

house_s@cho006.cho.ge.com (Stephen House) (06/16/91)

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Stephen House			Real Life Novelists -- Way Cool Group!!

"I hope I treat her kind, and don't mess with her mind when see starts to see
the darker side of me."	   --- Neil Young "Lookin' For Love" off of "Zuma"

andreww@uniwa.uwa.oz (Andrew John Williams) (06/17/91)

house_s@cho006.cho.ge.com writes:
>Thanks to
>Stephen Coan -- Said to use a one-shot button and to attach to IC that
>		generates the RESET signal
He's right - unless you're careful, and don't ground reset for too long,
you might have problems. I've destroyed my C64 too many times. I'm not
sure why, but one of the chips in there doesn't like being reseted for
more than 1/2 sec or so.
Also, another warning - don't plug or unplug your disc drive or printer
without switching the power off first. If your C64 is like mine, the
drive and the computer do NOT have a common ground. Well, they do, but
it is made through the drive cable. If the ground disconnects before the
signal, you might end up with 20V or more on the signal pin (there is no
reason for both machines to be at the same potential)
Just a couple of things I've learnt the hard way.

John West (stealing Andrew's account)
Fish over the rainbow

>Stephen House
>house_s@cho006.cho.ge.com

treesh@vangogh.helios.nd.edu (06/27/91)

All this talk about the RESET functions of the 64 has inspired me to write
this to the network.  Reset on the C64 is handy, and it does help reduce
the stress on the components of the system.  Intrestingly, I have found
that the RESET on a C128, even in 64 mode does function differently in
the hardware.  While on a C64, you can reset your system from any reset
pin on any external port (cartiridge,serial, or user all have reset lines)
on a C128, it will NOT reset the system if these lines are pulled low.
This is of little concern, since the C128 has a built in reset button, but
for hardware hackers who wish to have hardware control of the reset function
of the C128, be aware that the only place to pull low that will acutaly work
is the line connecting to the button on the C128.

Most of my friends who have installed RESET into their 64's have done so
only for one major reason....HACKING!

Since the "CBM80" trick is a little know programming stunt on the c64, most
any simple basic source code can be ripped out of the claws of protection
scheems thur the use of this procedure:

* RESET the computer
* at the READY prompt, enter this:

* poke 2050,1
* sys42291
* LIST

That will break most autoboots, and even ML data encryption scheems can be
broke with that sicne at the point basic source is running, its more then
likely decrypted in whole, the RESET wont erase ram, but does change the
frist three bytes of basic text to zeros (does a NEW), the poke an sys
have the effect of doning a "SHORT UNNEW".  You can LIST, but dont try to
run or edit the basic code, all the pointers are MESSED UP!

I have 10 programs (PD) that are written with hackers like you in mind!
The frist 3 are crackable using the above procedure, but the rest get
harder and harder and harder!!!

All 10 program use BASIC as the route language, preceeded by autoboot and
enctryption protection scheems.  Its more fun then a lot of your games,
and if someone could tell me HOW, I will be happy to put them up in
milton for you to take your best shots at!

Hack my stuff...come on...I DARE YOU!

ctfm

himacdonald@watmsg.uwaterloo.ca (Hamish Macdonald) (06/28/91)

> In summary,  _____
> just connect RESET to ground via a normally-open switch.  One of the easiest
> ways of doing this is to connect Pin 1 to Pin 3 of the cartridge port
> (expansion port, I think)

Perhaps a 1K resistor to limit current should be stuck in there too.

D-L-K@cup.portal.com (Patrick Andreas Maher) (06/28/91)

Nope, you don't need the 1K resister to make it work.  It will work
just fine by puting the connecter to pin 1 and to pin 3.  I have
placed a bunch of these there and they all work just fine.  There is
also another way of doing it, y

there is a place on one of the chips that you can place the wire
and the other to a ground to make it work, but can't remember which
one it is.