[comp.sys.cbm] CBM 610/710

druegeme@hpwad.WAD.HP.COM (#Daniel Ruegemer) (06/24/91)

Hello world,

in a note I've been writing about CBM 610/710, and I got many responses
asking what kind of machine this is.

It's the last computer of what I call the 'real cbms', that means the
family of PET, 3032, 4032, 8XXX. It has an extended Commodore Basic 4.0
(like the 8000). The extended Commands refer in general to the extended
Memory. Normally, it has 128K RAM. This memory is adressed by 'bank-switching'.
One 64K-Bank is reserved for variables, the second for program-code.
The machine works with an extended 6502 (6509 or so) and includes the
SID 6581 (yeah, not the 6522, I messed up!). It also has got a RS232,
this is really sensational for a computer of this family.
It was built in the late 80's, and I guess it was the biggest flop in the
history of Commodore. It was introduced with a price of about 4000DM, but
when nobody bought it, it was sold by a firm for only 200DM.

(Sounds like a sad tale, I think, really blue)

btw. I've written some nice software for these babies that I sold in the
80's. If you're interested in it or the 600/700, drop me a line!

Daniel

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (06/26/91)

In a letter to All, #Daniel Ruegemer (druegeme@hpwad.WAD.HP.COM ) wrote:

 >in a note I've been writing about CBM 610/710, and I got
 >many responses asking what kind of machine this is.

 >It's the last computer of what I call the 'real cbms', that
 >means the family of PET, 3032, 4032, 8XXX. It has an extended
 >Commodore Basic 4.0 (like the 8000).
 >The extended Commands refer in general to the extended
 >Memory. Normally, it has 128K RAM. This memory is adressed
 >by 'bank-switching'.
 >One 64K-Bank is reserved for variables, the second for
 >program-code.
 >The machine works with an extended 6502 (6509 or so) and
 >includes the
 >SID 6581 (yeah, not the 6522, I messed up!). It also has got
 >a RS232,
 >this is really sensational for a computer of this family.
 >It was built in the late 80's, and I guess it was the
 >biggest flop in the history of Commodore.

   Hmm, that sounds like what Commodore sold in North America as the "B128".

--
Geoffrey Welsh - Operator, Izot's Swamp BBS (FidoNet 1:221/171)
root@zswamp.uucp or ..uunet!watmath!xenitec!zswamp!root

kizn@dorsai.com (Daniel Delvalle) (06/27/91)

druegeme@hpwad.WAD.HP.COM (#Daniel Ruegemer) writes:

> It was built in the late 80's, and I guess it was the biggest flop in the
> history of Commodore.

 Hmm..  I always considered the Commodore Plus 4  (+4), The biggest Flop in
their line. It came out sometime in the mid-80's and just sorta vanished
after a while.

                                                           """""
                                                           ". ."
                                          Kizn. :>           l
                                                            (-)

root@zswamp.uucp (Geoffrey Welsh) (06/28/91)

In a letter to All, Daniel Delvalle (kizn@dorsai.com ) wrote:

 >druegeme@hpwad.WAD.HP.COM (#Daniel Ruegemer) writes:

> It was built in the late 80's, and I guess it was the biggest flop in the
> history of Commodore.
 >
 > Hmm..  I always considered the Commodore Plus 4  (+4), The
 >biggest Flop in
 >their line. It came out sometime in the mid-80's and just
 >sorta vanished
 >after a while.

   I think its little brother, the C16, was the bigger flop... and there's a
whole host of machines that never saw the light of day.