[comp.sys.cbm] Ray-tracing 128s

cshamis@desire.wright.edu (Christopher Alexander Shamis) (06/27/91)

Greetings Fellow CBM'ers.

  I have a totally off the wall request but I thought Id throw it at you.

  Does anyone know enough about Ray-tracing to collaberate with me on a
programming venture to create such a program for the 128?

  I know its may just be a pipe dream but Im not a complete fool.  I was
thinking something along the lines of 640x200 monocrome ray tracing.

  Am I dreaming ???  Furthermore on the same subject, does anyone even know
enogh about ray tracing to explain to me how it works????

  I have  spent time messing about on a freings Ami 3000, and fell in love with
Scultp 4d,  I wanteed to know what kind of algorithms could be used.

  Im thinking about programming it in pascal, for speed, or maybey even haveing
the actuall math-work in ML, and the user interface compiled basic.

  Please keep in mind Im talking SIMPLE stuff here.  reall simple.  But i was
curious to see if it could be done.  (maybey even 40 col mode????)

  I am curios what you Experts have to say about it.

  Thanks.

*-------CShamis@Desire.Wright.Edu-------*------------CShamis@WSU.Bitnet-------*
| You got to read the fine print.       | D.E.C. VAX___     Your not Dealing  |
| So where where all my BIG savings?    | \  / |\/| \___         with         |
| Put it in writing.                    |  \/  |  | ___/6.0     I B & M       |
*---------------------------------------*-------------------------------------*

pilgrim@daimi.aau.dk (Jakob G}rdsted) (06/29/91)

cshamis@desire.wright.edu (Christopher Alexander Shamis) writes:
>Greetings Fellow CBM'ers.
>
>  I have a totally off the wall request but I thought Id throw it at you.

>  Does anyone know enough about Ray-tracing to collaberate with me on a
>programming venture to create such a program for the 128?

I can't help you with making one(well, I have other things to do...)
but it isn't silly at all. When I used a c64 back in 1986/87, I used
a raytracing program called GigaCAD +. I would call that pretty much a
raytracing program. You could output monochrome and 4-multicolour, and
there was an option for making 4 screens(i.e. a 640x400 monochrome). The
fourscreen thing looked nice on printer.
Apart from that, you COULD raytrace for resolutions that the C64/128 don't
have, and then put it on disk.

--
From the notorious
                      Jakob Gaardsted, Computer Science Department