[comp.org.decus] Wanted -- Formatter for DEC Rainbow Disks

daffy@warwick.UUCP (Steve Hunt) (02/02/87)

Howdy folks,

A friend of mine is the (proud?) owner of a DEC Rainbow micro with
two 360k drives.  But, as many of you are no doubt aware, DEC in their
wisdom did not distribute a formatter with the machine -- so he is
stuck at the moment with a very limited number of usable disks.

Does anyone out there have a formatter, P.D. or otherwise free of cost,
that we could get hold of?  We might even (gasp) consider paying a small
amount of money for a commercial product if that proves necessary!

If you can help a poor frail Rainbow to live out its twilight years
with lots of those nice, old-fashioned 5 inch disks, please mail me
and we will discuss a way to do the transfer.

Thanks in advance,

		Steve Hunt.

--
"University computer centers are notorious for being run by
 empty-headed bozos."       -- Henry Spencer.

Steve Hunt, DONALD Programmer 1st Class
Mail: daffy@warwick.UUCP   sahunt@warwick.UUCP    daffy@uk.ac.warwick.ubu
Home: "The Silo", 15 Molesworth Avenue, Stoke Green, Coventry CV3 1BU, UK
Tel:  0203 447765

campbell@maynard.UUCP (02/10/87)

In article <486@ubu.warwick.UUCP> daffy@ubu.UUCP (Steve Hunt) writes:

>A friend of mine is the (proud?) owner of a DEC Rainbow micro with
>two 360k drives.  But, as many of you are no doubt aware, DEC in their
>wisdom did not distribute a formatter with the machine -- so he is
>stuck at the moment with a very limited number of usable disks.

   1.	The drives are 400K, not 360K.

   2.	A formatter IS included with both operating systems (CP/M and
	MS-DOS) for the Rainbow.  Admittedly, the first releases of
	CP/M and MS-DOS for the Rainbow omitted the formatter.  But
	later releases, beginning about three years ago, included
	a formatter.

	If you are missing a formatter, you also have ancient and fairly
	crufty operating system software.  The current version of MS-DOS
	for the Rainbow is 2.11.  2.05 is OK;  2.01 (what you have if you
	don't have the formatter) is garbage.  There are various bootleg
	copies of 3.10 for the Rainbow floating around but it's not yet
	officially released by DEC.

	If you're still under DEC maintenance, you can get the latest
	OS free of charge.
--
Larry Campbell                                The Boston Software Works, Inc.
Internet: campbell@maynard.uucp             120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

klr@hadron.UUCP (02/11/87)

In article <486@ubu.warwick.UUCP> daffy@ubu.UUCP (Steve Hunt) writes:
>Howdy folks,
>
>A friend of mine is the (proud?) owner of a DEC Rainbow micro with
>two 360k drives.  But, as many of you are no doubt aware, DEC in their
>wisdom did not distribute a formatter with the machine -- so he is
>stuck at the moment with a very limited number of usable disks.

Every Rainbow I have ever owned (2 of em) has always come with a formatter
for the floppies.  If you are looking for a winchester formatter, call
the The Pot of Gold FIDO at the number listed in the .signature.

Old Rainbows never die, they just become FIDO BBS.

 Kurt Reisler
 UNISIG Chairman, DECUS US Chapter                       | Hadron, Inc.
 ..{seismo|sundc|rlgvax|dtix|decuac}!hadron!klr          | 9990 Lee Highway
 Sysop, Fido 109/74  The Bear's Den   (703) 671-0598     | Suite 481
 Sysop, Fido 109/483 The Pot of Gold  (703) 359-6549     | Fairfax, VA 22030