[comp.org.decus] Where is DECUS Lex?

still@usceast.UUCP (05/06/87)

I have heard that Charles Forsyth's version of Lex is on one of the DECUS
sig tapes, but after carefully perusing the 86/87 DECUS software catalogue,
I have not been able to find it. Can anyone out there tell me which sig tape
it appears on, and if in fact, whether it is still being distributed? (I also
have heard rumblings that it may be AT&T derived. Is there any truth to this?)

I would greatly appreciate any information I might receive.

ADV-*thanks*-ANCE

                                                      Bert

       What DesCartes really meant was "I think; therefore, I am paid."
    ("shar" is actually an ancient term meaning "some assembly required.")
                                     #
UUCP:   {...ihnp4!akgua |            #  US SNAIL:  Bert Still
         ...seismo!ncr-sd!ncrcae}    #             Dept of Mathematics
                      !usceast!still #             University of South Carolina
                                     #             Columbia, SC 29208
BITNET: T410119@UNIVSCVM             #
                                     #

minow@decvax.UUCP (05/07/87)

In article <2388@usceast.UUCP> still@usceast.UUCP (Bert Still) requests
information on Charles Forsyth's version of Lex.

This is distributed with Decus C (11-SP-18).  Charles has copyrighted
the program, and Decus has a release from him stating that it is
his property.  Bert's comment "I also have heard rumblings that it may
be AT&T derived. Is there any truth to this?" is the first I have heard
of this (and I have had a copy of Charles's Lex for about 7 years now).
If Bert, or any one else, has information that it may be Unix derived,
I would appreciate knowing of this so as to avoid infringing on AT&T's
rights.

Martin Minow (Decus C maintainer)
decvax!minow

The above does not represent the postion of Digital Equipment Corporation.

authorplaceholder@gorgo.UUCP.UUCP (05/10/87)

Martin Minow writes:

>This is distributed with Decus C (11-SP-18).  Charles has copyrighted
>the program, and Decus has a release from him stating that it is
>his property.  Bert's comment "I also have heard rumblings that it may
>be AT&T derived. Is there any truth to this?" is the first I have heard
>of this (and I have had a copy of Charles's Lex for about 7 years now).
>If Bert, or any one else, has information that it may be Unix derived,
>I would appreciate knowing of this so as to avoid infringing on AT&T's
>rights.

I have examined Decus Lex along side UNIX Lex and have not found any
significant homology in the code. It is appears to be an independent effort.

  Steve Blasingame (Oklahoma City)
  ihnp4!gorgo!bsteve

(This does not represent an opinion of AT&T, but my personal observation)