[comp.org.decus] C compiler for little PDP-11s

dieter@jupiter.nmt.edu (The Demented Teddy Bear) (11/28/88)

I've been led to believe that a C compiler for small PDP-11s exists.
One rumour is that it is available via DECUS.  Has anybody seen this
beasty?  Would I be better off writing my own?  If it does exist, etc,
how small an -11 can I run it on?

Thanks.

Dieter
--
Welcome to the island.  You are number six.
dieter%nmt@relay.cs.net

dmcintee@netxcom.UUCP (Dave McIntee) (11/29/88)

In article <1535@nmtsun.nmt.edu> dieter@jupiter.nmt.edu (The Demented Teddy Bear) writes:
>I've been led to believe that a C compiler for small PDP-11s exists.
>One rumour is that it is available via DECUS.  Has anybody seen this
>beasty?  Would I be better off writing my own?  If it does exist, etc,
>how small an -11 can I run it on?
>
>Thanks.

In 1983 and 84 I used DECUS C on a PDP-11/34a with 128KB on memory running
RSTS/E. (Try to find a smaller system that today!) It worked out very well.

--
Dave McIntee
NetExpress Communications, Inc.	  	Phone: (703)749-2380

johnl@n3dmc.UU.NET (John Limpert) (11/29/88)

In article <1535@nmtsun.nmt.edu> dieter@jupiter.nmt.edu (The Demented Teddy Bear) writes:
>I've been led to believe that a C compiler for small PDP-11s exists.
>One rumour is that it is available via DECUS.  Has anybody seen this
>beasty?  Would I be better off writing my own?  If it does exist, etc,
>how small an -11 can I run it on?

DECUS has a very nice (and large) C compiler package for the PDP-11.
I ordered it several years ago and installed it on a PDP-11/24 under
RSX-11M and on a LSI-11 under RT-11.  It would run just fine on the
LSI-11 with 28KW and an RX01 floppy disk subsystem.  The only problems
you might have are getting the sources off the tape and building the
compiler.  The tape is in DOS-11 format and you may need to get some
of the DECUS file transfer utilities if you are working with RT-11.
While the compiler can be manually built on a floppy only system, it is
much easier to build on a system with RL02's or some other type of
hard disk.  A recent DECUS catalog should have most of the info that
you need.

--
John A. Limpert
UUCP:	johnl@n3dmc.UUCP, johnl@n3dmc.UU.NET, uunet!n3dmc!johnl

dieter@titan.nmt.edu (The Demented Teddy Bear) (11/29/88)

In article <1067@netxcom.UUCP>, dmcintee@netxcom (Dave McIntee) writes:
> In article <1535@nmtsun.nmt.edu> I write:
> >I've been led to believe that a C compiler for small PDP-11s exists.
>
> In 1983 and 84 I used DECUS C on a PDP-11/34a with 128KB on memory running
> RSTS/E. (Try to find a smaller system that today!) It worked out very well.

No problem.  PDP-11/03 w/ 30 Kw of memory running RT-11.  That's right,
no separate I&D.  I need a code squeezer; it's kind of like a wine press,
only different.

I remember when 16 Kb was more memory than anyone would ever use,
except maybe the big number-crunching physicists and their Crays.
Today, 4 Mb is too small for a Sun 3/50 running SunOS 4.0 (or even
3.5).  And yet Unix started on a PDP-11 that wasn't much bigger than
my 03.  VMS is pretty much a pig with similar amounts of memory also.
Whatever happened to "small & fast"?

Never mind me, I'm rambling again.  Even my employer knows I'm going
senile....

Dieter
--

ben@vmsa.technion.ac.il (Ben Pashkoff) (11/30/88)

In article <1535@nmtsun.nmt.edu>, dieter@nmtsun.BITNET writes:
> I've been led to believe that a C compiler for small PDP-11s exists.
> One rumour is that it is available via DECUS.  Has anybody seen this
> beasty?  Would I be better off writing my own?  If it does exist, etc,
> how small an -11 can I run it on?

The item you want is a decus c compiler, number 11-sp-18. I have an entry
for it in the 1986/87 catalog. It says that it does not run on pdp11/40 and
lsi 11 FIS floating point. The kernel is written in MACRO-11 and the language
is then written in c.

|      Ben Pashkoff                 BEN@VMSA.TECHNION.AC.IL               |
|                                   BEN@TECHMAX.BITNET                    |
|                                   BEN@TECHUNIX.BITNET                   |
|      VAX/VMS Systems              APLBENJ@TECHNION.BITNET               |
|      Computer Center              VMSA::BEN                             |
|      Technion IIT                                                       |
|      Haifa, Israel 32000          Phone:(972)-4-292176                  |
|_________________________________________________________________________|

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (12/01/88)

In article <1535@nmtsun.nmt.edu> dieter@jupiter.nmt.edu (The Demented Teddy Bear) writes:
>I've been led to believe that a C compiler for small PDP-11s exists.
>One rumour is that it is available via DECUS.  Has anybody seen this
>beasty?  Would I be better off writing my own?  If it does exist, etc,
>how small an -11 can I run it on?

The DECUS C compiler runs under RT11 (among other os's), and I'm pretty
sure it'll run on a non-seperate I&D space 11, ie., it'll run on anything.
If your machine is so small it doesn't have 64kb of core (none of that
new-fangled MOS stuff:-), you might want to up it to that.  The copy I
have on RX01's came from an 11/23.  If someone will send me a bootable
RT11 system on an RX02, I'll send them back a copy of the DECUS C I've
got.  You see, I upgraded from rx01's to rx02's, and my v5 rt11 distribution
is on rx01's, with the wrong boot blocks....

--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, or my 11/34)