[comp.org.decus] Car rental at Atlanta symposium

mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) (04/06/89)

I note, with a combination of dismay and amusement, that DECUS has,
for what presumably seemed like good reasons to whoever made the
decision, selected Alamo Rent A Car as the designated car rental
agency for the Atlanta symposium.  If you read rec.travel, you
undoubtedly recall the discussion a couple months ago about car
rental companies in general, and Alamo in particular.  A followup
posting by someone who started the whole discussion pretty much
says it all:

> Thank you all of you who posted your experiences with Alamo;
> there were a few other car rental agencies who got mildly
> blasted, but Alamo was considered, by far, the most underhanded
> dirty-dealing outfit.  There were even a few people who, when
> I mentioned that I had had a bad experience with a car rental
> agency, said: "Alamo, right?"

Some of the sleazy practices that people complained about included:

--  Unavailability of the class of automobile that the customer
    had reserved, coupled with substitution of more expensive
    cars, requiring that the driver pay the higher cost.  (Most
    other car rental companies, when making such a substitution,
    provide the larger car but honor the lower price that the
    customer was promised at reservation time.)

--  High-pressure badgering to buy the "optional" CDW, even when
    the drivers *knew* that they were covered by their personal
    insurance.

--  Attempts to charge customers for small dents and other sorts
    of minor damage that had been there before the car left the
    lot.  Plus the remarkable (and, in many people's views, rather
    suspicious) ability of their employees to zero in on these
    trivial pre-existing damages, as if they might be collecting
    on the same dent from customer after customer after customer.

--  A one-time, non-refundable fuel fee, where the customer gets
    charged approximately $2/gallon * gas_tank_capacity, but with
    the tank generally only half full.

So those of you who plan to rent a car in Atlanta might be well
advised to watch out.  I'd be curious to hear of any horrendous
experiences after the symposium.  As for me, I'll be taking MARTA.

By the way, it seems that Alamo is interested in renting only to
residents of the US:  Their 800 number doesn't work from Canada
(not unusual), but their advertisement in the DECUS registration
packet doesn't include any other telephone number which people
outside the range of their toll-free number might be able to use.

-----

Mark Bartelt                          UUCP: {utzoo,decvax}!sickkids!mark
Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto   BITNET: mark@sickkids.utoronto
416/598-6442                          INTERNET: mark@sickkids.toronto.edu

todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) (04/07/89)

In article <147@sickkids.UUCP> mark@sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) writes:
>I note, with a combination of dismay and amusement, that DECUS has,
>for what presumably seemed like good reasons to whoever made the
>decision, selected Alamo Rent A Car as the designated car rental
>agency for the Atlanta symposium.

The MARTA subway train station at the Atlanta airport is about
50 ft. from the baggage claim.  There are train stations within
walking distance of the Symposium hotels (but a portable baggage
cart is advisable).  If you must have a car, there are a multitude
of rental agencies and many "rent-a-heap" agencies, also.

   ...!gatech!stiatl!todd
   Todd Merriman * 404-377-TOFU * Atlanta, GA
   Note:  I have no idea what my employer's views on the subject are.

avolio@decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) (04/08/89)

How's the bus and/or taxi situation between the airport and the
hotels?  If I need a car I'll tag along with Mark :-).

norman@alice.UUCP (What is your full name (for news article signatures)) (04/09/89)

Here are some words that will appear in the UNISIG session notes
at the Atlanta symposium.  They will be accompanied there by a
schematic map of the MARTA rail system and a somewhat fuzzy downtown
transit map showing bus routes.  The housing map in the symposium
registration packet shows the downtown rail stations.

If you have leftover MARTA tokens from the Summer 1986 USENIX conference,
they're still good.  I called and asked, as I have three.

I don't understand why anyone would bother to rent a car in Atlanta;
then again, I don't understand why anyone drives a car in downtown New York
or Toronto.

MARTA, Atlanta's public transit system, is a connected network of
buses and trains.  Most routes run at least from 6am to midnight.
Bus routes vary in frequency, but most run every 15-30 minutes,
more often in the rush hour.  Trains run every 6-10 minutes on
weekdays, 10-15 minutes on weekends.  On weekdays, some trains
don't go all the way to the ends of the north-south rail line,
for example to the airport; read the destination signs before
boarding.

The fare is $.85 exact change for bus or train.  If you're likely
to ride a lot, or don't like to carry change around, tokens are
10 for $8, and weekly passes (good from one Sunday to the
following Saturday) are $8.  Transfers for a continuous one-way
ride (no round trips) are free; ask for one when you board the
first bus, or press the button for one when you go through the
train fare gate.  Some train stations allow bus-train transfers
behind the fare gates, so you don't need a transfer.

Peachtree Center rail station (N1) is a couple of blocks from the
headquarters hotels; see the housing map.  Omni station (W1) is
near the World Congress Center and the symposium proper.  Airport
station (S7) is the airport.  The Amtrak station is a ten-minute
bus ride from the Arts Center station (N5); take the #23-Lenox
bus.  This is one of the stations where transfers aren't needed.

Timetables and maps are available in the Five Points station
(where the two rail lines intersect).  Or ring MARTA at 404/848-4711
6am to 10pm weekdays, 8am-4pm weekends.