[comp.org.decus] 25th Anniversary of 36 Bits

clive@pp.ACA.MCC.COM (Clive Dawson) (09/06/89)

[The number of people who contributed to the recent discussion on
Digital's 36-bit architecture made it seem appropriate to post this
message here.  My apologies for straying from the main subject
matter.]

A special event will take place at the Fall DECUS Symposium in Anaheim,
California, November 6-10, 1989: The 25th Anniversary of 36-bit systems
will be celebrated.  In 1964, Digital announced the PDP-6.  Twenty-five
years later, the 36-bit architecture is still here serving a loyal
customer base.

The celebration will take place on the evening of Monday, November 6,
1989.  The usual DEC 10/20 Update Session will be held from 3-5 PM.
Last-minute announcements regarding Anniversary events will be made at
this session, as well as in the Monday edition of Update.Daily (the
Symposium newspaper).  A meeting room in one of the Symposium hotels
(Hilton or Marriott) will be made available for the anniversary
events, which include:

	-- 36-Bit JEOPARDY!
		In the tradition of the 36-bit Trivia Bowl held at the
		20th Anniversary celebration,  experts on the  history
		and folklore of  36-bit systems  will compete  against
		each other.  Come and match wits with them!

	-- Memorabilia Exhibit and Swap
		You are  encouraged to  bring old  manuals,  listings,
		pieces of  hardware  (e.g. KA  and/or  KI  consoles!),
		posters, buttons, tapes, and  any other items  related
		to 36-bit  systems  for  exhibiting  and/or  swapping.
		Table space will be made available.

	-- Anniversary Dinner

		Dinner plans  are not  yet firm.   It will  either  be
		catered by the hotel  or we will  adjourn to a  nearby
		restaurant.

	-- 36-Bit Magic & War Stories
		Following dinner we  will swap war  stories and  other
		legends of  36-bit  lore.   One of  the  most  popular
		events of  the 1984  celebration will  be repeated:  a
		reading of several infamous  SPR's (and their  equally
		infamous replies.)  Come prepared to share share  your
		favorite  stories.   Prizes  for  the  best  will   be
		awarded.

Note that these four events will NOT appear in the DECUS schedule
since they are not official DECUS functions (and therefore do not
require conference registration.)  If you are planning to attend any
of the 25th Anniversary events, please notify me as soon as possible,
since we need to get a reasonable estimate on the number of people to
expect.  (Dinner plans depend on this, so please try not to delay.)

	E-mail:    Internet: Clive@MCC.COM
                   UUCP:  ...!cs.utexas.edu!pp!clive
	U.S. mail: MCC, 3500 West Balcones Center, Austin, TX 78759
	Phone:	   (512) 338-3430

This will also enable us to create a mailing list for any last minute
announcements regarding the events.  If you would like table space for
exhibits, please mention this.  Suggestions regarding dinner plans are
also welcome.  It may be difficult to find a reasonable restaurant
nearby that could handle this.  The 20th anniversary dinner was done
by the hotel at a cost of $36/person (what else?!).  Is this a
reasonable fee?  If not, let me know how much you would be willing to
pay.

This message is being sent to the TOPS-20 mailing list and the
comp.arch and comp.org.decus news groups.  Please redistribute as you
see fit and pass the word to other 36-bitters who may not otherwise
find out about this.

See you in Anaheim!

Clive Dawson

beyer@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (jean-david.beyer) (09/06/89)

Am I missing something. The PDP-6 and PDP-10 were not the first
36-bit machines. The IBM701 was 36bit data (instructions 18 bit, 2 per
word), and the 704 of the mid '50's was 36bit word data and instructions.
So we are past the 30 birthday of 36 bit machines.
--
Jean-David Beyer
AT&T Bell Laboratories

lsheldon@cup.portal.com (Laurence Larry Sheldon) (09/07/89)

Must be talking about _DEC_ 36-bit machines.  I pretty sure UNIVAC and
probably 1BM and maybe others had 36-bit machines before 1959.

Come to think of it USE is almost 35 years old, and it (besides being
the oldest user-group on the planet) was formed around--what--1107's?

michaud@decvax.dec.com (Jeff Michaud) (09/08/89)

In article <3624@cbnewsh.ATT.COM>, beyer@cbnewsh.ATT.COM
(jean-david.beyer) writes:
> Am I missing something. The PDP-6 and PDP-10 were not the first
> 36-bit machines. The IBM701 was 36bit data (instructions 18 bit, 2 per
> word), and the 704 of the mid '50's was 36bit word data and instructions.
> So we are past the 30 birthday of 36 bit machines.

	Yes, you are missing something, and that is that
	this newgroup is comp.org.decus :-)  Why would a
	DECUS related event celebrate birthdays for
	IBM machines? :-)

/--------------------------------------------------------------\
|Jeff Michaud    michaud@decwrl.dec.com  michaud@decvax.dec.com|
|DECnet-ULTRIX   #include <standard/disclaimer.h>              |
\--------------------------------------------------------------/

jgd@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (John G Dobnick) (09/16/89)

From article <21951@cup.portal.com>, by lsheldon@cup.portal.com (Laurence Larry Sheldon):
> Must be talking about _DEC_ 36-bit machines.  I pretty sure UNIVAC and
> probably 1BM and maybe others had 36-bit machines before 1959.
>
> Come to think of it USE is almost 35 years old, and it (besides being
> the oldest user-group on the planet) was formed around--what--1107's?

Actually, I think it was originally formed by 1103 users.  Let me check
my USE inc. history book here...

Ah yes.   Quoting from the official history text:

      "Since 1955, when 4 users of the Univac 1103 met to discuss stand-
   ares for programming and subroutines,..."

--
John G Dobnick
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee

"Knowing how things work is the basis for appreciation,
and is thus a source of civilized delight."  -- William Safire