[comp.org.decus] Justifying DECUS attendance: an example

brodie@moocow.mcw.edu (10/10/89)

From:	UUCP%"brodie@mis.mcw.edu"  9-OCT-1989 12:18:52.15
To:	moocow!brodie
CC:
Subj:	DECUS submission for news...

Date: Mon,  9 Oct 89 10:57:25 CDT
From: Kent C. Brodie <brodie@mis.mcw.edu>
To: moocow!brodie
Subject: DECUS submission for news...

A few people has posted questions about justifying DECUS to their
management.  The following is an excerpt from a recent mailing send
out by the ELECTRONIC PUBLISHING User Interest Group:

"Some symposia attendees find it necessary to write an 'attendance
justification' memo to their management detailing benefits to be gained
from their attendance.  If you find this necessary, here's where to begin.
Start your memo by stating the benefits to your work group/organization
that will be gained by your DECUS Symposia attendance.  For example, you
may choose to say,

 "To help provide [company/organization name] with the latest information
  on Digital hardware and software; contacts with Digital engineers and
  product personnel as well as contacts from other organizations with similar
  interests and concerns, I want to attend the DECUs Symposium in Anaheim.
  The Symposium runs from November 6-11 and provides over 1,200 hours of
  sessions and working groups, as well as sessions where I can give feedback
  to Digital engineers."

Follow with a brief paragraph stating how your attendance at DECUS will
provide that benefit.  Next, summarize the projected costs for transportation,
registration, lodging, and meals.  Close your justification memo with another
summary of benefits to the company.  For example,

  "As a result of attending DECUS, I'll have more background in [field of
   interest] so I will become more effective in [name of project/job].  I
   will make my notes from the Symposium available to co-workers and we will
   have new and/or stronger reelationships with our Digital Contacts"

On a personal note, I have compared the cost of [a week at] DECUS with
the costs of attending a real DIGITAL training class (ala 'System Manegement
parts I and II').   DEC classes are good, but a typical weeks' registration
is over $1,300.   A week at DECUS costs $400.  (both of these are registration
ONLY!).   You can typically get a week at decus (all fees/etc included) for
the same cost as a dec class REGISTRATION alone....

From a "justification" point of view, this becomes extremely cost-effective,
which is what management loves...

Hope this helps fellow prospective attendees!  (see you in Anaheim!)
Kent C. Brodie - Systems Manager		brodie@mcw.edu
Medical College of Wisconsin			+1 414 778 4500

"*DOOOOP*"   -The Skipper {Gilligan's Island}