[comp.org.decus] Location and dates of May decus

jfn@titleist.Eng.Sun.COM (Jamie Nelson) (09/20/90)

Where and when is the next (may I think decus) after Las Vegas

thanks

jamie

quodling@bunyip.enet.dec.com (Peter Quodling) (09/21/90)

In article <142779@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, jfn@titleist.Eng.Sun.COM (Jamie Nelson) writes...
>Where and when is the next (may I think decus) after Las Vegas

The next U.S. DECUS is to be held in Las Vegas, from the 10th to the 14th of
December 1990. (Pre-symposia Seminars occure on the 8th and 9th.)

It should then go back to Atlanta, for May 6-10,1991.

Peter Quodling		         Internet:     quodling@blumon.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation    UUCP: ...!decwrl!blumon.enet!quodling
Nashua, NH.                      I disclaim everything!!!

jeh@dcs.simpact.com (09/22/90)

In article <15489@shlump.nac.dec.com>, quodling@bunyip.enet.dec.com
(Peter Quodling) writes:
> It should then go back to Atlanta, for May 6-10,1991.

It *will* go back to Atlanta.  Whether or not it *should* go back there is
something which a lot of attendees of the last Atlanta DECUS would very much
like to question.   :-(

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Chair, VMSnet [DECUS uucp] and Internals Working Groups, DECUS VAX Systems SIG
Internet:  jeh@dcs.simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh

todd@slammer.UUCP (Todd Merriman) (09/24/90)

In article <1631.26fabe84@dcs.simpact.com> jeh@dcs.simpact.com writes:
>> It should then go back to Atlanta, for May 6-10,1991.
>
>It *will* go back to Atlanta.  Whether or not it *should* go back there is
>something which a lot of attendees of the last Atlanta DECUS would very much
>like to question.   :-(

Why?

   Todd Merriman
   Software Toolz, Inc.
   8030 Pooles Mill Dr., Ball Ground, GA 30107-9610
   todd@slammer.UUCP, V-mail (800) 869-3878, (404) 889-8264

osa538b@vaxc.cc.monash.edu.au (Alan Chee) (09/24/90)

In article <15489@shlump.nac.dec.com>, quodling@bunyip.enet.dec.com (Peter Quodling) writes:

> The next U.S. DECUS is to be held in Las Vegas, from the 10th to the 14th of
> December 1990. (Pre-symposia Seminars occure on the 8th and 9th.)
>
> It should then go back to Atlanta, for May 6-10,1991.
>
> Peter Quodling		         Internet:     quodling@blumon.enet.dec.com
> Digital Equipment Corporation    UUCP: ...!decwrl!blumon.enet!quodling
> Nashua, NH.                      I disclaim everything!!!

pray tell,

has the registration forms for Las Vegas gone out yet ?
How does one in faraway Australia _ENSURE_ getting hold of such forms ?

thank-you

 Alan Chee,			   |	internet: alanC@VAXC.cc.monash.edu.au
 P.O. Box 413, World Trade Centre, |	X.25:  PSI%AUSTPAC.0505224122018::chee
 Melbourne, Vic. AUSTRALIA  3005   |    voice:	  +61 3 345 4717 (BH)

bm17+@andrew.cmu.edu (Bruce R. Miller) (09/26/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.org.decus: 23-Sep-90 Re: Location and dates
> of M.. Todd Merriman@slammer.UU (477)

> >It *will* go back to Atlanta.  Whether or not it *should* go back there
> is
> >something which a lot of attendees of the last Atlanta DECUS would very
> much
> >like to question.   :-(

> Why?

I can't speak for everyone, of course, but the general reaction
in my circles seems to be: "Atlanta?  Beatiful city, but boring as
hell...".   I'd like to see DECUS back in New Orleans next year.

I mean, we don't all go there just for the sessions.  I usually only
find half a dozen sessions that interest me.  I go to talk to people
and when I'm not doing that, it's nice to have something fun to do.

Anyways, sorry if this isn't the right place to bring this up.  I think
is would be a good idea for people to bring up the interesting things
they've found in Atlanta so that we'll know next time we're there.
How about comp.org.decus.blow-off...?

-bruce r miller
 CMU NetDev

bruce@ccavax.camb.com (09/26/90)

>>>It *will* go back to Atlanta.  Whether or not it *should* go back there is
>>>something which a lot of attendees of the last Atlanta DECUS would very much
>>>like to question.   :-(
>>
>> Why?

Is that "WHY" is it going back, or WHY some attendees would question the sanity
of anyone suggesting using THAT city.

Perhaps the city will issue us all gun permits and their armorer will hand out
weapons as we leave the airport for our hotels. That way we will have a slight
chance of being on equal footing with the other folks encountered on the
street.

Apparently the armed robber working in front of our hotel was quite well
dressed, and aroused no suspision. I think someone was holding the door for
him just before he robbed them!

One of the hotels sleezed out of some complimentary breakfast commitments
and that one should NOT be an 'official' Decus hotel next time.

Although it was said that the cops had cleaned up some of the normal street
folk in front of the bus station (between the convention center and most
hotels), many found running the gauntlet through them quite unpleasant.

Scheduling that many people into a city is non trivial, and there are only
a few cities left DECUS can squeeze into. Changing plans is not simple.

I believe there was enough upset that the board did have to review going there
again. Apparently they decided to not change the site.

And I remember going out for shaving cream late one night back in '82 or when
ever a previous Decus was there. A lady cop decided it was a poor idea for
me to be out getting shaving cream, and tried to scare me off. I persisted,
so she got permission from her dispatcher to drive me (some liability issue
normally prevents them giving lifts unless you are under arrest). She drove
me to get the shaving cream, and then back to the hotel.

Take the message any way you like...

mccurdy@ucselx.sdsu.edu (mccurdy m) (09/26/90)

In article <Yazw1hS00aMeMRfDBJ@andrew.cmu.edu> bm17+@andrew.cmu.edu (Bruce R. Miller) writes:

>I can't speak for everyone, of course, but the general reaction
>in my circles seems to be: "Atlanta?  Beatiful city, but boring as
>hell...".   I'd like to see DECUS back in New Orleans next year.
>
>I mean, we don't all go there just for the sessions.  I usually only
>find half a dozen sessions that interest me.  I go to talk to people
>and when I'm not doing that, it's nice to have something fun to do.

	I've never been to Decus in Atlanta but it seems to me that in
order to find whatever it is that you consider to be unboring in any
city, you'll need to do some research beforehand - certainly you can
turn up something, especially in a city like Atlanta, that meets your
requirements for interest. If it's just partying your brains out, there's
got to be plenty of places for that.

	Although, New Orleans certainly is an interesting place ...

-mike

--
Mike McCurdy               *  mccurdy@ucselx.sdsu.edu *

jeh@dcs.simpact.com (09/27/90)

(Bruce R. Miller) writes:

>> [Jamie Hanrahan writes:]
>> >It *will* go back to Atlanta.  Whether or not it *should* go back there is
>> >something which a lot of attendees of the last Atlanta DECUS would very
>> >much like to question.   :-(
>
>> Why?

Because Atlanta was the most obviously dangerous city that many of us had ever
seen.  There were many reports of drug pushers within half a block of the hq
hotels, for example.

> I can't speak for everyone, of course, but the general reaction
> in my circles seems to be: "Atlanta?  Beatiful city, but boring as
> hell...".   I'd like to see DECUS back in New Orleans next year.

Let me point out that all of this discussion is moot.  Site selection
for US DECUS Symposia is like steering an oil tanker (no Exxon Valdez jokes
please, that's not the point.) ... you plan maneuvers a LONG time in advance,
and there is no such thing as a last-minute change.  Early this year I saw a
schedule with tentative dates and locations all the way out to 2004.  We're
going back to Atlanta not only in '91 but also in '92 and '93. Spring '94 is
in New Orleans.

> I mean, we don't all go there just for the sessions.  I usually only
> find half a dozen sessions that interest me.  I go to talk to people
> and when I'm not doing that, it's nice to have something fun to do.

I agree completely and I'll bet the folks on the Symposium Committees do too.
But finding a meeting place for a Symposium is a non-trivial problem even
without requiring that there be fun things to do nearby.

> Anyways, sorry if this isn't the right place to bring this up.  I think
> is would be a good idea for people to bring up the interesting things
> they've found in Atlanta so that we'll know next time we're there.
> How about comp.org.decus.blow-off...?

traffic in comp.org.decus is low enough that there shouldn't be a problem
holding the discussion here.

mcmahon@tgv.com (John 'Fast-Eddie' McMahon) (09/27/90)

#Because Atlanta was the most obviously dangerous city that many of us had ever
#seen.  There were many reports of drug pushers within half a block of the hq
#hotels, for example.

I heard several stories like that, the only one I can speak to is that walking
from the Marriott (HQ hotel) to the Congress Center [past the infamous bus
station] got a little scarier each day.  I ended up switching to the bus for
all my trips back and forth.

#> Anyways, sorry if this isn't the right place to bring this up.  I think
#> is would be a good idea for people to bring up the interesting things
#> they've found in Atlanta so that we'll know next time we're there.
#> How about comp.org.decus.blow-off...?

Hmm... perhaps the symposium committee should draft a LUG in the area to write
a "guide to neat things in Atlanta".  The same goes for Las Vegas, San
Francisco, Argentina, Santa Cruz... wherever :-)

It sure as hell won't make it into UPDATE.DAILY given the new and "improved"
editorial nonsense.

John McMahon
TGV Inc / DECUS UNISIG Steering Committee

) (09/27/90)

In article <1631.26fabe84@dcs.simpact.com>, jeh@dcs.simpact.com writes:
> It *will* go back to Atlanta.  Whether or not it *should* go back there is
> something which a lot of attendees of the last Atlanta DECUS would very much
> like to question.   :-(

Amen!

Hmmm, let's see. I saw one guy get mugged in front of the Marriott. I
NEVER walked on the street after dusk without being propositioned by a
pimp AND a dealer. I'm not joking!

It was, for some sick reason, funny that the DECUS `souvenir' was a pen
knife!

Jot this one down:

The Gold Club
2416 Piedmont Rd. N.E.
Atlanta
233-1210

Free limo rides from town if you call them or take the subway (which
for some odd reason I thought was pretty safe) to the LINDBERGH stop.
A good time for all (males, that is).

brodie@fps.mcw.edu (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep26.213529@tgv.com>, mcmahon@tgv.com (John 'Fast-Eddie' McMahon) writes:

> I heard several stories like that, the only one I can speak to is that walking
> from the Marriott (HQ hotel) to the Congress Center [past the infamous bus
> station] got a little scarier each day.  I ended up switching to the bus for
> all my trips back and forth.

...due to late registration, I ended up at the AMERICAN hotel, which
was situated ACROSS THE STREET fromthe "infamous" bus station.  Even
though I'm 6'2" and pretty hefty, *I* don't walkthe streets armed to
the teeth (although it might be a chance for me to try out my chainmail
vest next time!, but there's something about 40 pounds of steel armor
that just MIGHT make the airport security folks a little nevous...)

------
Kent C. Brodie - Sr. Systems Manager       internet:  brodie@fps.mcw.edu
Faculty Physicians & Surgeons              uucpnet:   uwm.edu!fps!brodie
Medical College of Wisconsin	           voicenet:  +1 414 778 4500
				           faxnet:    +1 414 778 6694

"*mmmmm*.   This must be where pies go when they die..."
					-Agent Cooper, 'Twin Peaks'

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep26.213529@tgv.com>, mcmahon@tgv.com (John 'Fast-Eddie' McMahon) writes:
>#Because Atlanta was the most obviously dangerous city that many of us had ever
>#seen.  There were many reports of drug pushers within half a block of the hq
>#hotels, for example.
>
>I heard several stories like that, the only one I can speak to is that walking
>from the Marriott (HQ hotel) to the Congress Center [past the infamous bus
>station] got a little scarier each day.  I ended up switching to the bus for
>all my trips back and forth.

I was down there for a Head Start convention 2 years ago and there was a
firefight late one evening in front of one of the conference hotels.

>#> Anyways, sorry if this isn't the right place to bring this up.  I think
>#> is would be a good idea for people to bring up the interesting things
>#> they've found in Atlanta so that we'll know next time we're there.
>#> How about comp.org.decus.blow-off...?
>
>Hmm... perhaps the symposium committee should draft a LUG in the area to write
>a "guide to neat things in Atlanta".  The same goes for Las Vegas, San
>Francisco, Argentina, Santa Cruz... wherever :-)

>It sure as hell won't make it into UPDATE.DAILY given the new and "improved"
>editorial nonsense.

There's always Cheetahs' Elite, right beside the Hilton...

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (09/28/90)

In article <20103.2701e5bf@merrimack.edu>, rand@merrimack.edu (Bucky ate the cat!) writes:

>Jot this one down:
>
>The Gold Club
>2416 Piedmont Rd. N.E.
>Atlanta
>233-1210
>
>Free limo rides from town if you call them or take the subway (which
>for some odd reason I thought was pretty safe) to the LINDBERGH stop.
>A good time for all (males, that is).

I didn't know they had limo rides. It looked too expensive when I passed it via
taxi (and I was in mixed company at the time.

For more <ahem> family-style (?) entertainment, there's a Jazz club called
Dante's which I've heard is'nt so bad.

jeh@dcs.simpact.com (09/30/90)

In article <1990Sep28.152920.3299@bony1.uucp>, billg@bony1.uucp (Bill W. Gripp)
 writes:
> Why is the Spring DECUS always in the South (it seems to be usually
> Atlanta and occasionally New Orleans)?

Let's see.  This is from memory, I think that the set of cities is correct
but I may have a few of the years jumbled:

	84	Cincinnati
	85	New Orleans
	86	Dallas
	87	Nashville
	88	Cincinnati
	89	Atlanta
	90	New Orleans
	91	Atlanta
	92	Atlanta
	93	Atlanta
	94	New Orleans

I guess you could say that it's usually been in the south in the last few
years.  (Note, a few of these dates may be mixed up.  It's hard to
remember that far back.  Let's see, where were LAVCs announced again? :-)

> If it has to be in the south
> there are other options.  What's wrong with ORLANDO, they have
> conventions there and DISNEY WORLD too =:^).

A future Spring DECUS is pencilled in for Orlando, but it's far enough in
the future that I don't want to mention dates.  I expect that it would have
been done sooner except for lack of facilities -- see below.

> How about Nashville or Dallas

It's been done; see above.  Nashville, by the way, was not well-liked.
Meeting facilities were barely adequate, and anyone who had to stay
elsewhere than at the HQ hotel was WAY off in the boonies.

> Then there's always New York

impossibly high room rates.

> Boston

Same comment as for Orlando, above.  Until the completion of their new
convention facilities, Boston won't/didn't have room for us.

> or Cleveland =:^).

> Toronto or Montreal would be nice.  I know,
> let's make it in Halifax so we can all get some really good LOX =:^}.

Um, this is the U.S. DECUS Symposium we're talking about.  The Canadian
DECUS Chapter has its own national symposia, which you are free to attend.

> Then there's the fall (winter?) DECUS.  Hey I like Anaheim (DISNEY LAND
> is great) but howabout San Diego, Seattle (nice town), Vancover BC,
> Denver or Salt Lake City once in a while?

Or SFO.  We were there in '86 and will be returning soon.

In all these cases the answer is lack of available facilities -- in some cases
lack of facilities, period. We're pencilled in to return to San Diego (now that
the new convention center is open) in the future.  You'll hate the room rates,
though; this is a tourist town and the hotels don't need to give much of an
edge to convention-goers.

> All this talk about ATLANTA as the only suitable site is really bogus.

No, it isn't.

Although DECUS is only a medium-sized meeting in terms of numbers of attendees
(the winter Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas draws many tens of thousands; as
I was leaving Chicago one time I was told that the city was expecting over
100,000 for a farm machinery trade show), its facilities requirements are
pretty unusual.  We need one very large meeting room, several large meeting
rooms, plus other meeting rooms of various sizes, for about 15 program tracks
total, PLUS small meeting rooms for BOF meetings and the like, plus space for
the campgrounds, the Update.Daily room, the rooms needed by the audio taping
people, etc.  *And* we need space for the DEC exhibit hall. *And* we need space
to feed lunch to five to ten thousand people every day.

And we need all of it relatively close together, with hotel rooms within
walking distance or at least a short bus ride away.

Now, many convention facilities can provide some subset of this, but not all of
it all at once... and of those few that can, you can look a long, LONG way into
the future without finding a solid week in which all of it is un-booked.  (Oh,
and the exhibit hall setup begins in the preceding week, so we need that space
for a week and a half.)

No one has mentioned Atlanta's good points:  We had more than enough room,
and it was all under one roof (a damned BIG roof; a slidewalk between the two
wings of the convention center would've come in handy!).  DEXPO was close at
hand, not miles away.  And the city offered some really good eating.

Disclaimer:  I'm not on the Symposium Committee and don't speak for them.  I
do, however, have some amount of experience putting much smaller conventions
into hotels, and when they tell me that "we have no choice at this time but to
quite plausible.

jms@misvax.mis.arizona.edu (Joel M Snyder) (09/30/90)

In article <1990Sep28.152920.3299@bony1.uucp>, billg@bony1.uucp (Bill W. Gripp) writes...
>Why is the Spring DECUS always in the South (it seems to be usually
>Atlanta and occasionally New Orleans)?

You haven't been paying attention for very long. DECUS has been in Atlanta
once in the past 10 years (and possibly longer), and twice in New Orleans.

>How about Nashville or
           ^ been there
>Dallas or Houston or Williamsburg or...  Then there's always New York,
 ^ been there

Williamsburg doesn't have facilities for a 7000 person conference.
New York and Boston are both seriously too expensive.  Cleveland
is a possibility, assuming that they have facilities, which I don't
believe they do. We've also been to Cincinnatti twice, St. Louis,
and Miami (that's as far back as my memory goes).

>Boston or Cleveland =:^).  Toronto or Montreal would be nice.  I know,
>let's make it in Halifax so we can all get some really good LOX =:^}.

DECUS US Chapter meetings must be held in the US.  We have DECUS
Canada which meets in Canada.  Their meetings are interesting and
well attended; you should call them up if you want to go to Toronto
or Montreal.

>Then there's the fall (winter?) DECUS.  Hey I like Anaheim (DISNEY LAND
>is great) but howabout San Diego, Seattle (nice town), Vancover BC,
>Denver or Salt Lake City once in a while?

San Diego has been, and will be again a site. Seattle is not.
Vancouver is in Canada.  Denver is not available.  SLC does not have facilities.

If you really care, and want to think about what you're talking about,
instead of randomly naming cities, you should get involved with the
DECUS Symposium Committee.  They are always looking for motivated
people, and it sounds like you're motivated!  The best way for you to
do that is to pick whichever SIG (not VAX) you find yourself most
closely allied with, call its chair, and say "I want to be on Symposium
Committee."

jms

Joel M Snyder, The Mosaic Group, 627 E Speedway, 85705  Phone: 602.626.8680
(University of Arizona, Dep't of MIS, Eller Graduate School of Management)
BITNET: jms@arizmis  Internet: jms@mis.arizona.edu  SPAN: 47541::uamis::jms
The best part of Poland is a $2 fine for doing 140 in a 70 zone.

ctp@cs.utexas.edu (Clyde T. Poole) (09/30/90)

In article <1990Sep28.152920.3299@bony1.uucp> billg@bony1.UUCP (Bill W. Gripp) writes:
>Why is the Spring DECUS always in the South (it seems to be usually
>Atlanta and occasionally New Orleans)?  If it has to be in the south
>there are other options.  What's wrong with ORLANDO, they have
>conventions there and DISNEY WORLD too =:^).  How about Nashville or
>Dallas or Houston or Williamsburg or...  Then there's always New York,
>Boston or Cleveland =:^).  Toronto or Montreal would be nice.  I know,
>let's make it in Halifax so we can all get some really good LOX =:^}.

Spring Symposia have not always been in the South.  For MANY years it
was almost exclusively in Boston.  Currently the problem is size of
convention facilities and availability of hotel rooms within
reasonable distance.  The fact that we must book dates MANY years in
advance does not help.  Soon the Orlando Convention Center expansion
will be completed and added to the east coast city list.  The problem
with Dallas is the distance of most hotel rooms from the Convention
Center.  Boston will be back on the list when the construction of
their new expressway is completed.  Currently it is not possible to
run the DECUS hotel bus service there in a reasonable way.  New York
and Chicago are eliminated because of cost.  Miami has reasonable
facilities but will probably never be considered again because of the
trouble the society had there last time.

>Then there's the fall (winter?) DECUS.  Hey I like Anaheim (DISNEY LAND
>is great) but howabout San Diego, Seattle (nice town), Vancover BC,
>Denver or Salt Lake City once in a while?

Currently Anaheim and Las Vegas are the only west coast cities able to
handle Symposia.  Both San Francisco (sp?) and San Diego are expanding
their convention centers and will be added to the host city list.
Vancover BC is not in the US.  I don't know about Denver and Salt Lake
City but I suspect they do not meet one or more criteria.

>All this talk about ATLANTA as the only suitable site is really bogus.
>And with all the bad rap about 'A' on the net, who really wants to go
>there anyway?

Despite all the mumbling about Atlanta, it was a good place for our
meetings.

I am NOT on the Symposia Committee, so the above is not "official" but
I do believe it to be reasonably accurate.

ctp
-----
Clyde T. Poole - Technical Coordinator, Facilities and Equipment (in real life)
 DECUS U. S. Chapter, CommComm Chair and Member of the MC (in my spare time)
Univ. of Texas at Austin        ARPA/CSnet/NSFnet: ctp@cs.utexas.edu
Dept. of Computer Sciences      UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!cs.utexas.edu!ctp
Taylor Hall 2.124               BITNET: ctp@UTADNX  SPAN: UTSPAN::UTADNX::CTP
Austin, TX  78712-1188          VOICE: (512) 471-9551  FAX: (512) 471-0548

davidc@montagar.lonestar.org (David L. Cathey, SYSOP) (09/30/90)

In article <0093D575.92197BE0@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU>, sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:

> There's always Cheetahs' Elite, right beside the Hilton...

	It's amazing what you can sneak into your per-diem, isn't it???

David L. Cathey		                |INET: davidc@montagar.lonestar.org
"Can't have everything, where would you |UUCP: ...!letni!montagar!davidc
put it?"-Steven Wright "Everywhere!"-Me |Fone: (214)-618-2117

cts@dragon.uucp (Charles T. Smith, Jr.) (10/01/90)

As a resident of the greater Atlanta area, I get the local papers and local
radio, and yes, the condition of the areas around the convention center have
not gone unnoticed.  Groups (including DECUS, I expect) have expressed their
views to the city administration, as well as a number of individual letters.

(I've also heard someone mailed the mayors office, the convention bureau,
and public safty director a copy of a computer bulliten board where Atlanta
was discussed in rather negative terms;  I suspect this may have come
from DECUServe)

In any case, some steps have been taken to clean up the area, including
better lighting, more cops, motorcycle patrols, and so forth.  There
have also been efforts to get the homeless out of the area.  At least one
of these programs is under court challenge, claiming that Atlanta is
merely trying to get the homeless away from the convention people
rather than trying to solve the problems.

Also, with the Olympics coming to Atlanta in 96, there is quite a bit of
effort to clean things up as well.

I expect that when Decus returns in 91, things will be quite a bit nicer.

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (10/01/90)

In article <5090@montagar.lonestar.org>, davidc@montagar.lonestar.org (David L. Cathey, SYSOP) writes:
>In article <0093D575.92197BE0@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU>, sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:
>>
>> There's always Cheetahs' Elite, right beside the Hilton...
>
>	It's amazing what you can sneak into your per-diem, isn't it???

(this shouldn't be here, but....)

My per-diem disappeared in about 2 minutes buying beer (amazing how expensive
beer can be in such places), and the rest of my available cash was gone within
20 minutes...