[comp.org.decus] Will BITNET be available at DECUS/Las Vegas?

waterstraat@GARNET.UCDAVIS.EDU (Paul Waterstraat) (11/30/90)

In previous years BITNET email has been available to attendees of the DECUS
symposium. I haven't seen any mention of this in the literature sent out so
far (or I may have mised it). Does anyone know if BITNET/InterNet email will
be available in Las Vegas? and if so, how addresses will be set up?
Thanks

I hope this is useful,
---Paul.

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (11/30/90)

In article <009406DF.86C97380@GARNET.UCDAVIS.EDU>, waterstraat@GARNET.UCDAVIS.EDU (Paul Waterstraat) writes:
>In previous years BITNET email has been available to attendees of the DECUS
>symposium. I haven't seen any mention of this in the literature sent out so
>far (or I may have mised it). Does anyone know if BITNET/InterNet email will
>be available in Las Vegas? and if so, how addresses will be set up?

The literature had some references to being able to "Remotely acccess" your
system (presumably via TELNET I hope...). I would be interested as well, as it
would save me from dragging along a laptop.
                          %%%%% Signature v1.1 %%%%%
 Doug Mohney, Operations Manager, CAD Lab/ME, Univ. of Maryland College Park
*    Why do VMS system managers get more sleep and less ulcers than their  *
*        UNIX(TM) counterparts, despite the sophistication of UNIX?        *

mcmahon@tgv.com (John McMahon) (11/30/90)

In article <0094070F.F808B080@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU>, sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes...
:In article <009406DF.86C97380@GARNET.UCDAVIS.EDU>, waterstraat@GARNET.UCDAVIS.EDU (Paul Waterstraat) writes:
:>In previous years BITNET email has been available to attendees of the DECUS
:>symposium. I haven't seen any mention of this in the literature sent out so
:>far (or I may have mised it). Does anyone know if BITNET/InterNet email will
:>be available in Las Vegas? and if so, how addresses will be set up?

I believe the answer is yes.  I seem to recall a recent posting to JNET-L which
said that plans were in place to provide BITNET support in Las Vegas.  As for
usernames, that is usually a bit of a crapshoot since if five people with your
name show up they have to assign 5 unique usernames, not easy to predict which
is yours.  You find out your username when you get to DECUS.

:The literature had some references to being able to "Remotely acccess" your
:system (presumably via TELNET I hope...). I would be interested as well, as it
:would save me from dragging along a laptop.

Although there are plans afoot to get the DECUS home offices on the Internet
(foo.DECUS.ORG), I don't think Internet access will be available at DECUS.  The
remote terminal support is a set of DEC terminals with dial-out modems.
Occasionally a local university will provide a dial-in for Internet access.
Haven't heard about anyone doing that yet.

John 'Fast-Eddie' McMahon    :    MCMAHON@TGV.COM    : TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
TGV, Incorporated            :                       :    T   GGGGGGG  V     V
603 Mission Street           : HAVK (abha) Gur bayl  :    T  G          V   V
Santa Cruz, California 95060 : bcrengvat flfgrz gb   :    T  G    GGGG   V V
408-427-4366 or 800-TGV-3440 : or qrfgeblrq ol znvy  :    T   GGGGGGG     V