[comp.org.decus] Novell -> LPR printing

hughes@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (larry hughes) (02/15/91)

Someone here has heard rumour about a mechanism for converting
Novell print jobs into LPR jobs.  It's supposed to be public
domain software available on a DECUS tape.  This is all the info
I have about it.

I can only surmise that this is LPR client software that runs on
a Novell print server, or conversely IPX software that runs on
a UNIX (or VMS?) host that acts as a Novell print server, then
prints the spooled jobs via LPR on behalf of the Novell client.

Does anyone have any info about this?  Doing the reverse is
easy (by running an LPD on a PC and having it spool jobs to
print to a Novell-served printer), but functionality described
above would be a real boon to us.

*Please* respond via email...thanks in advance for any info.

 //=========================================================================\\
||       Larry J. Hughes, Jr.        ||        hughes@ucs.indiana.edu        ||
||        Indiana University         ||                                      ||
||   University Computing Services   ||   "The person who knows everything   ||
||    750 N. State Road 46 Bypass    ||      has a lot to learn."            ||
||      Bloomington, IN  47405       ||                                      ||
||         (812) 855-9255            ||   Disclaimer: Same as my quote...    ||
 \\==========================================================================//

jeh@dcs.simpact.com (02/17/91)

In article <1991Feb15.151750.29389@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, hughes@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (larry hughes) writes:
> Someone here has heard rumour about a mechanism for converting
> Novell print jobs into LPR jobs.  It's supposed to be public
> domain software available on a DECUS tape.  [...]
> *Please* respond via email...thanks in advance for any info.

Please also respond via News.  There are a lot of other folks out here who
are interested in this and similar capabilities.

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Internet:  jeh@dcs.simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh

trier@cwlim.INS.CWRU.Edu (Stephen C. Trier) (02/17/91)

In article <1991Feb15.151750.29389@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, hughes@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (larry hughes) writes:
> Someone here has heard rumour about a mechanism for converting
> Novell print jobs into LPR jobs.  It's supposed to be public
> domain software available on a DECUS tape.  [...]

Well, I did it here by using Lanspool and a modified version of SU-PC/IP
lpr.  It ran on a dedicated PC.

The hack itself wasn't too hard.  You could probably implement it with
one of the free lpr programs out there in a couple days' work.  One warning:
you need to be able to run TCP/IP and NetWare on the same machine.  I did
that by installing two Ethernet cards.  A far better solution is to use
packet drivers and a single card.

The bridge was never used outside of testing; a project to port our TCP/IP
suite to packet drivers made it obsolete.

--
Stephen Trier                              Case Western Reserve University
Work: trier@cwlim.ins.cwru.edu             Information Network Services

hughes@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (larry hughes) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb16.131204.2135@dcs.simpact.com> jeh@dcs.simpact.com writes:
>In article <1991Feb15.151750.29389@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>, hughes@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (larry hughes) writes:
>> Someone here has heard rumour about a mechanism for converting
>> Novell print jobs into LPR jobs.  It's supposed to be public
>> domain software available on a DECUS tape.  [...]
>> *Please* respond via email...thanks in advance for any info.
>
>Please also respond via News.  There are a lot of other folks out here who
>are interested in this and similar capabilities.

No word on the DECUS tape, but several pointers to a package called
"charon" available via anonymous ftp on omnigate.clarkson.edu in the
/pub/cutcp directory.

I haven't tested it yet, but if it does everything the docs say
it does, I'll be quite pleased. Bidrectional LPR <-> Novell
printing is just one feature.

Also, I received a note from a Novell rep; NetWare V3.11 is scheduled
to ship in March, and has similar capabilities (and NFS serving to
boot).

 //=========================================================================\\
||       Larry J. Hughes, Jr.        ||        hughes@ucs.indiana.edu        ||
||        Indiana University         ||                                      ||
||   University Computing Services   ||   "The person who knows everything   ||
||    750 N. State Road 46 Bypass    ||      has a lot to learn."            ||
||      Bloomington, IN  47405       ||                                      ||
||         (812) 855-9255            ||   Disclaimer: Same as my quote...    ||
 \\==========================================================================//

assg7@fel.tno.nl (Rene van den Assem) (02/20/91)

There is a package called Charon, which allows print job exchange
between Novell networks and LPD/LPR environments. It requires a
dedicated PC.

It is coprighted by Clarkson University, but the binaries are available
for your use. It is based on the CUTCP package. It is available from
the anonymous ftp site of clarkson university (I'm not sure whether
it is on the sun.soe.clarkson.edu or on omnigate.clarkson.edu; i *think*
it is the latter).

Rene van den Assem,
assem@fel.tno.nl

campbell@dataco.UUCP (Duncan Campbell) (03/05/91)

Howdy,  this is probably not where I should be asking this, but then
I'm not sure where I should be asking.  Where can one get ASCII copies
of various sw specs/standards etc.  Is SIMTEL a likely source for the
likes of 2167a and associated DIDs?

I will publish replies if interest is shown and keep a list of
pointers if such does not exist already.

RSVP Duncan

* DISCLAIMER:                                                      *
*    The opinions expressed are solely of the author and do not    *
*    necessarily reflect the opinions of Canadian Marconi Company. *