[comp.org.decus] DECUS and E-Mail

mcmahon@tgv.com (John 'Fast-Eddie' McMahon) (03/05/91)

In article <009451A5.83C422A0@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU>, sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:

#I don't suppose that you could post Internet addresses for the appropriate
#committee members? Or is DCS not linked into any network?  Or I have to go get
#an audience with SIG leadership first?

Some fraction of DECUS leadership is on the network.  For example, I think most
(if not all) of the UNISIG is on the network.  Unfortunately, I have never seen
a E-mail Phone Book mapping DECUS members to Electronic Mailboxes.  Perhaps
there is a need to develop one.

DECUServe is on the network thanks to the VMSnet working group.  The address is
USERNAME@eisner.decus.org.  Someday, I hope to discover who "eisner" was.

As for DCS, you are correct in that you can't send mail to it.  Even if you
have a DECUServe account you can't send mail to it.  This is a policy that is
(finally) beginning to change, and I hope that by Atlanta 1991 you will be able
to send mail to anyone on DCS.  We shall see...

John 'Fast-Eddie' McMahon    :    MCMAHON@TGV.COM    : TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
TGV, Incorporated            :                       :    T   GGGGGGG  V     V
603 Mission Street           : HAVK (abha) Gur bayl  :    T  G          V   V
Santa Cruz, California 95060 : bcrengvat flfgrz gb   :    T  G    GGGG   V V
408-427-4366 or 800-TGV-3440 : or qrfgeblrq ol znvy  :    T   GGGGGGG     V

tihor@acf3.NYU.EDU (Stephen Tihor) (03/06/91)

I bet regular mail to each board member will work just fine.

tihor@acf3.NYU.EDU (Stephen Tihor) (03/06/91)

Or even the DECUs office.

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (03/06/91)

In article <14660005@acf3.NYU.EDU>, tihor@acf3.NYU.EDU (Stephen Tihor) writes:
>Or even the DECUs office.

I bet. You know, I get more regular mailings from the DECUS library than...
well..you fill in the blank.

     Reform may be dying in the Soviet Union, but we have the right to
                introduce it to the DECUS Board of Directors.

  -- >                  SYSMGR@CADLAB.ENG.UMD.EDU                        < --

cts@dragon.uucp (Charles T. Smith, Jr.) (03/07/91)

> As for DCS, you are correct in that you can't send mail to it.  Even if you
> have a DECUServe account you can't send mail to it.  This is a policy that is
> (finally) beginning to change, and I hope that by Atlanta 1991 you will be able
> to send mail to anyone on DCS.  We shall see...

One of the biggest problems in dealing with Decus is finding the responsible
party.  For example, who is responsible for the policy of keeping DCS off the
net.  I for one would be happy to place a few phone calls.

frisbie@flying-disk.com (Alan Frisbie) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar4.195334.15166@news.arc.nasa.gov>,
mcmahon@tgv.com (John 'Fast-Eddie' McMahon) writes:

> DECUServe is on the network thanks to the VMSnet working group.  The
> address is  USERNAME@eisner.decus.org.  Someday, I hope to discover who
> "eisner" was.

Dan Lee Eisner was one of the founders of DECUServe, Chair of the RSX SIG,
and one of the best people it has been my priviledge to know.   His death
from cancer in 1987 deprived DECUS of one of its most outstanding leaders.

Dan had an ability to take multiple feuding people and produce a friendly
agreement.   His services as a peacemaker are sorely missed.

Today, we take DECUServe for granted.   However, when Dan and the other
pioneers proposed it to DECUS leadership, it was a hard sell.   Many
people did not want it to happen, and some tried their best to make it
fail.   Dan worked very hard, right up until his death, to make it a
success.   Naming the DECUServe system "EISNER" is a monument not only
to a man, but to the kind of person DECUS needs more of.

His successes went beyond DECUS politics.   In early 1987 when DECUServe
was just getting off the ground, Dan asked me to be a moderator.   One
of the other moderators was a woman I did not get along with at all.
If she and I had to be in the same room, you could practically see the
icicles form in the air.

Dan encouraged me to communicate and cooperate with her, in the interests
of DECUServe.   He succeeded far beyond his wildest dreams (I think).
On September 3rd, 1988, I married her.

Dan Eisner was my friend and I miss him.      Requiescat In Pace.

---  Alan E. Frisbie                    Frisbie@Flying-Disk.Com  (Preferred)
---  Flying Disk Systems, Inc.      or  ...elroy!flying!frisbie
---  4759 Round Top Drive           or  Flying!Frisbie@Elroy.jpl.nasa.gov
---  Los Angeles, CA 90065          or  Frisbie%Flying@oxy.edu
---  (213) 256-2575                 or  ...oxy!flying!frisbie

klr@hadron.COM (Kurt L. Reisler) (03/13/91)

In article <353.27d533c4@dragon.uucp> cts@dragon.uucp (Charles T. Smith, Jr.) writes:

>One of the biggest problems in dealing with Decus is finding the responsible
>party.  For example, who is responsible for the policy of keeping DCS off the
>net.  I for one would be happy to place a few phone calls.

At a DECUS meeting held this weekend, I was told that DCS "should have
two-way Email access via the InterNet by March 15th".  The person who
was responsible is no longer "with us", and the person who has taken
over just found out what the blockage was, and is removing it.  Of
course, 3/15 is a VMS-timeframe date (:-), which means "real soon now".

I will keep those who lurk in the aether informed.

Kurt Reisler (703) 359-6100
UNISIG Chairman, DECUS US Chapter                       | Hadron, Inc.
..!{uunet|sundc|rlgvax|netxcom|decuac}!hadron!klr       | 9990 Lee Highway
Sysop, Fido 109/101 The Bear's Den   (703) 671-0598     | Fairfax, VA 22030

nieland_t@kahuna.asd-yf.wpafb.af.mil (03/13/91)

In article <943@hadron.COM>, klr@hadron.COM (Kurt L. Reisler) writes:
> In article <353.27d533c4@dragon.uucp> cts@dragon.uucp (Charles T. Smith, Jr.) writes:
>
>>One of the biggest problems in dealing with Decus is finding the responsible
>>party.  For example, who is responsible for the policy of keeping DCS off the
>>net.  I for one would be happy to place a few phone calls.
>
> At a DECUS meeting held this weekend, I was told that DCS "should have
> two-way Email access via the InterNet by March 15th".  The person who
> was responsible is no longer "with us", and the person who has taken
> over just found out what the blockage was, and is removing it.  Of
> course, 3/15 is a VMS-timeframe date (:-), which means "real soon now".
>
> I will keep those who lurk in the aether informed.

The Message on DCS in VAX NOTES from the DCS system Manager is putting the
connection date as in May.

Ted Nieland				nieland_t@kahuna.asd-yf.wpafb.af.mil
Control Data Corporation		nieland@dayfac.cdc.com
(513) 427-6355				ted@nieland.dayton.oh.us

klr@hadron.COM (Kurt L. Reisler) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar13.075425.64@kahuna.asd-yf.wpafb.af.mil> nieland_t@kahuna.asd-yf.wpafb.af.mil writes:
>In article <943@hadron.COM>, klr@hadron.COM (Kurt L. Reisler) writes:
>>
>> At a DECUS meeting held this weekend, I was told that DCS "should have
>> two-way Email access via the InterNet by March 15th".  The person who
>> was responsible is no longer "with us", and the person who has taken
>> over just found out what the blockage was, and is removing it.  Of
>> course, 3/15 is a VMS-timeframe date (:-), which means "real soon now".
>
>The Message on DCS in VAX NOTES from the DCS system Manager is putting the
>connection date as in May.

That is the "official" connection.  I was told that a "backdoor" through
DECUServe might be available on 15 March.  However, there has been no
follow up, so I guess nothing happened.  I know I would rather be able
to read my DECUS leadership mail and respond to it from my Unix system,
than having to fight my way through VMS and ALL-IN-ONE (BLETCH!).

cts@dragon.uucp (Charles T. Smith, Jr.) (03/16/91)

In article <943@hadron.COM>, klr@hadron.COM (Kurt L. Reisler) writes:
> In article <353.27d533c4@dragon.uucp> cts@dragon.uucp (Charles T. Smith, Jr.) writes:
>
>>One of the biggest problems in dealing with Decus is finding the responsible
>>party.  For example, who is responsible for the policy of keeping DCS off the
>>net.  I for one would be happy to place a few phone calls.
>
> At a DECUS meeting held this weekend, I was told that DCS "should have
> two-way Email access via the InterNet by March 15th".  The person who
> was responsible is no longer "with us", and the person who has taken
> over just found out what the blockage was, and is removing it.  Of
> course, 3/15 is a VMS-timeframe date (:-), which means "real soon now".
>
> I will keep those who lurk in the aether informed.

Well, its 3/15.

Also, you sure prove my point.  Just who is this responsible person?
Perhaps they have a name?  And a phone number?

mcmahon@tgv.com (John 'Fast-Eddie' McMahon) (03/19/91)

In article <376.27e14400@dragon.uucp>, cts@dragon.uucp (Charles T. Smith, Jr.) writes:

#Well, its 3/15.
#
#Also, you sure prove my point.  Just who is this responsible person?
#Perhaps they have a name?  And a phone number?

This will be a tad long winded since I want to keep two related topics
separate:

1)  E-mail connectivity via UUCP

Currently there is a UUCP link in/out of the DECUServer machine (a.k.a.
eisner.decus.org).  There is a restricted DECnet E-mail capability between
"eisner" and the Leadership machine "topaz".  Currently, people can send mail
out from "topaz", but cannot send it into it.  This is due to old policies that
are being revamped.  It is my opinion that the old "no network connections"
policies for the Leadership VAX are dead, and that everyone wants this to
happen.  It just takes time and manpower.

Ability to send mail via this route was supposed to be established on 3/15/91.
It did not happen.  I communicated with Dolores Pilitz, who is the DCS system
manager over the weekend and she confirmed that the connection was not
established.  She is shooting for later this week to get it completed.  I'll
ping her again at the end of this week.

2)  Full Internet conectivity for DECUServe and DCS

My understanding is that the circuit has been ordered from NEARnet.  Typically
phone circuits take about 60 days to implement.  Some issues have to be
resolved with the TCP/IP software vendor, so stay tuned for further updates on
that.

And now a word from our sponsor:  I'm a member of DECUS Leadership, and quite
proud of it.  I don't speak for the groups within DECUS who run DCS or
DECUServe.  The preceeding information is based on talking to people who do run
these systems.  Post no bills.