[comp.org.decus] Need help restoring old VAX SIG tapes

ake@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar28.173646.28390@hollie.rdg.dec.com>, bailey@newoa.enet.dec.com (newoa::bailey) writes:

>        <<< Note 635.0 by ::Earle Ake "ake@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake)" >>>
>           -< Need help restoring old VAX SIG tapes in unknown format >-
>

>>	I am trying to convert an old DECUS VAX SIG tape into a readable format.
>>t looks like a predecessor to BACKUP was used.  I have looked at the files and>
>>there is a 'BACKUP' string followed by the directory and name of the file.  After
>>that there is the file itself.  These files are named something.CON on the tape.
>>There is a restore.com on the tape used to restore the files.  If anyone has
>>any idea what the format of .CON files are and how to restore them, let me know.
>>Here is part of the restore.com for reference.
>

>>$!Procedure to build VAX Sig Spring 1981 Library from Tape
>
>>$ MCR RST *.*;*/FR=RSTTAP:ACCNTNG.CON
>

> Good grief 1981... that must have been vms V1 (or close to that) ,
> way back when I first used a vax..

	I found someone that had the data in backup format.  BTW, to give you
an idea how early a vintage of VMS this was, here is a piece of two anal/image
of the executables on the tape.

	Image Identification Information

		image name: "MTC***  Symbol contains invalid character(s).
		image file identification: "01"
		link date/time: 13-SEP-1979 15:15:20.23
		linker identification: "01.

	Image Identification Information

		image name: "TPCPY"
		image file identification: "01"
		link date/time: 16-MAR-1981 11:12:24.75
		linker identification: "2B.44"

And believe it or not, both these at least ran when I tried to run them under
VMS 5.3-1!  Says alot for VMS engineering.

Earle
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: ake@dayton.saic.com        uucp: dayvb!ake         SPAN: 28284::ake