[comp.org.decus] When can we TELNET to DECUSERVE?

chiam@VULCAN.CBA.OHIOU.EDU (Ta Fuh Chiam) (03/29/91)

Since mail to DECUS is available now, when can we expect TELNET access into
DECUServe via Internet?

Ta Fuh Chiam

Ta Fuh Chiam
Ohio University, College of Business Administration / Phone: (614)593-2088
Management Information Systems                        FAX:   (614)593-1388
Copeland Hall 22                   INTERNET : chiam@vulcan.cba.ohiou.edu
Athens, Ohio 45701, U.S.A.            or    : chiam@cgruni.phy.ohiou.edu
                                   BITNET   : CHIAM@OUACCVMB
Disclaimer: What I have said are my opinions, not of anyone else.

dsroberts@biivax.dp.beckman.com (03/29/91)

In article <00946482.ADC56CE0@VULCAN.CBA.OHIOU.EDU>, chiam@VULCAN.CBA.OHIOU.EDU (Ta Fuh Chiam) writes:
> Since mail to DECUS is available now, when can we expect TELNET access into
                ^^^^^ make that "some DECUS leaders" :-)
> DECUServe via Internet?
>
> Ta Fuh Chiam

The discussion on DECUSERVE is typically responded to with RSN (real soon now),
but the one time I saw someone pin a date on it was a GUESS of July.  They
claim it is tied up with DEC lawyers, or some such.

IMHO:  Another good example of the problem with DECUS tied so closely with DEC
   Don Roberts                   Internet:  dsroberts@beckman.com
   Beckman Instruments, Inc.     Yellnet:   714/961-3029
   2500 Harbor Bl. Mailstop X-12 FAX:       714/961-3351
   Fullerton, CA  92634          Disclaimer:  Always

mcmahon@tgv.com (John McMahon) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar28.122223.236@biivax.dp.beckman.com>, dsroberts@biivax.dp.beckman.com writes...
:In article <00946482.ADC56CE0@VULCAN.CBA.OHIOU.EDU>, chiam@VULCAN.CBA.OHIOU.EDU (Ta Fuh Chiam) writes:
:> Since mail to DECUS is available now, when can we expect TELNET access into
:                ^^^^^ make that "some DECUS leaders" :-)
:> DECUServe via Internet?
:>
:> Ta Fuh Chiam

Clarification:  E-mail to DECUServe is an established fact.  The DECUServe
folks, along with the VMSnet working group have had it established for some
time.  From the Internet to DECUServe you can use the addressing
"username@eisner.decus.org".

As of last week, the DECUS Leadership Computer (DCS) was opened up for E-mail.
You can send mail to "username@topaz.decus.org".  It works, but is considered
by the folks who set it up not to be 100% reliable yet.

There are other address schemes for "topaz.decus.org" that (hopefully) someone
with more DECUServe experience can explain.  I only have a DCS account
currently.

The technology behind this current link is a UUCP phone circuit between
simpact and eisner, with a DECnet Ethernet circuit between eisner and
topaz.

:The discussion on DECUSERVE is typically responded to with RSN (real soon now),
:but the one time I saw someone pin a date on it was a GUESS of July.  They
:claim it is tied up with DEC lawyers, or some such.

I would expect the hardware to be in place in May.  The contracts for a
Fractional T1 to NEARnet have been signed, and within 60 days (probably down to
45 by now) the circuit will be in place.

The TCP/IP software licenses for topaz and eisner are still under negotiation.

:IMHO:  Another good example of the problem with DECUS tied so closely with DEC

IMHO: Without the help of the DECUS MIS staff (who are all DEC employees) I
think it would have taken much longer to get this far.

Disclaimer:  This is all based on memos, notes conferences, and discussions I
have had with various people involved in this project.  I have some limited
involvement in the project, but I don't make any decisions :-)

John 'Fast-Eddie' McMahon    :    MCMAHON@TGV.COM    : TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
TGV, Incorporated            :                       :    T   GGGGGGG  V     V
603 Mission Street           : HAVK (abha) Gur bayl  :    T  G          V   V
Santa Cruz, California 95060 : bcrengvat flfgrz gb   :    T  G    GGGG   V V
408-427-4366 or 800-TGV-3440 : or qrfgeblrq ol znvy  :    T   GGGGGGG     V

dsroberts@biivax.dp.beckman.com (03/30/91)

In article <1991Mar28.213803.13906@news.arc.nasa.gov>, mcmahon@tgv.com (John McMahon) writes:
> Clarification:  E-mail to DECUServe is an established fact.  The DECUServe
> folks, along with the VMSnet working group have had it established for some
> time.  From the Internet to DECUServe you can use the addressing
> "username@eisner.decus.org".

I only pointed out the decus leader part because that is the "new" thing :-)  I
have been receiving and sending mail to the decuserve system for at least four
months now.  In fact I currently have my decuserve mail forwarded, via the uucp
link, to my home system.

> As of last week, the DECUS Leadership Computer (DCS) was opened up for E-mail.
> You can send mail to "username@topaz.decus.org".  It works, but is considered
> by the folks who set it up not to be 100% reliable yet.
>
> There are other address schemes for "topaz.decus.org" that (hopefully) someone
> with more DECUServe experience can explain.  I only have a DCS account
> currently.

The uucp link is set up such that mail to "username@decus.org" will get
delivered to the correct place whether eisner or topaz. (per Hanrahan in the
PUBLIC_DOMAIN conference, as I interpret it).  It just depends which system
has "username"

> :The discussion on DECUSERVE is typically responded to with RSN (real soon now),
> :but the one time I saw someone pin a date on it was a GUESS of July.  They
> :claim it is tied up with DEC lawyers, or some such.
>
> I would expect the hardware to be in place in May.  The contracts for a
> Fractional T1 to NEARnet have been signed, and within 60 days (probably down to
> 45 by now) the circuit will be in place.

Okay, one more time.  Hardware in place in May.  Okay.  within 60 days from
then.  Okay.  May + 60 days = July. :-)

> The TCP/IP software licenses for topaz and eisner are still under negotiation.
>
> :IMHO:  Another good example of the problem with DECUS tied so closely with DEC
>
> IMHO: Without the help of the DECUS MIS staff (who are all DEC employees) I
> think it would have taken much longer to get this far.

Well, you are quite welcome to your opinion, but the implicit reasoning in your
statement is that if the DECUS MIS staff were NOT DEC employees they would not
have been as competent for setting this up?  I am SURE you didn't really mean
that. :-)

Disclaimer:  This is all based on discussions in several conferences on the
DECUSERVE system that I have read and participated in. As I understand it :-)

klr@hadron.COM (Kurt L. Reisler) (03/31/91)

In article <1991Mar29.125148.238@biivax.dp.beckman.com> dsroberts@biivax.dp.beckman.com writes:
>In article <1991Mar28.213803.13906@news.arc.nasa.gov>, mcmahon@tgv.com (John McMahon) writes:
>> Clarification:  E-mail to DECUServe is an established fact.  The DECUServe
>> folks, along with the VMSnet working group have had it established for some
>> time.  From the Internet to DECUServe you can use the addressing
>> "username@eisner.decus.org".
>
>> :IMHO:  Another good example of the problem with DECUS tied so closely with
>> DEC
>>
>> IMHO: Without the help of the DECUS MIS staff (who are all DEC employees) I
>> think it would have taken much longer to get this far.
>>
>Well, you are quite welcome to your opinion, but the implicit reasoning in your
>statement is that if the DECUS MIS staff were NOT DEC employees they would not
>have been as competent for setting this up?  I am SURE you didn't really mean
>that. :-)

In point of fact, if it were not for the DEC employees who are involved
with DECUS, both as members of the DECUS staff, and as counterparts to
the various SIGs, and those who contribute as speakers and staffing the
exhibit floor, there would be no DCS, no symposium no DECUS and nothing for you
to be grousing about would there?  If you have some suggestion as to how
DECUS could exhist without any ties to DEC, I know that I would be
interested, as would the Board and the Management council, as would
Digital.

Kurt Reisler (703) 359-6100
UNISIG Chairman, DECUS US Chapter                       | Hadron, Inc.
..!{uunet|sundc|rlgvax|netxcom|decuac}!hadron!klr       | 9990 Lee Highway
Sysop, Fido 109/101 The Bear's Den   (703) 671-0598     | Fairfax, VA 22030

jeh@dcs.simpact.com (03/31/91)

> The uucp link is set up such that mail to "username@decus.org" will get
> delivered to the correct place whether eisner or topaz. (per Hanrahan in the
> PUBLIC_DOMAIN conference, as I interpret it).  It just depends which system
> has "username"

No, it won't.  decus.org is treated as equivalent to eisner.decus.org, and
if the username in question doesn't exist on eisner, no go.  Sorry about that.

	--- Jamie Hanrahan (x1116), Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Chair, VMS Internals Working Group, U.S. DECUS VAX Systems SIG
Internet:  jeh@dcs.simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh