[comp.org.decus] DECUS election ethics - LDEC

hassinger@topaz.decus.org (Bob Hassinger) (04/26/91)

I think those who are receiving ballots in the current DECUS by-law change
election should be aware of the following discussion on DECUServe which has
surfaced.  LDEC, the DECUS "election commission", has included an endorsement
of the PRO view in their cover letter.  I appears this is inappropriate and
tends to improperly influence the voters.  The following are the first two of
what is likely to be many more notes in one of the threads.  There are similar
discussions going on in a number of other threads on DECUServe and DCS (the
DECUS leadership system).

              <<< TOPAZ::$255$DUA0:[NOTES$LIBRARY]ETHICS.NOTE;1 >>>
                     -< Welcome to the ETHICS conference >-
Note 15.0                 Ballot-administration ethics                 1 replies
TOPAZ::MAYHEW "Bill, Business Practices UIG chair"   24 lines  24-APR-1991 15:24
    We have a new ethics problem.

    As a DECUS member, I believe my rights should include elections that
    are conducted fairly and without bias by a neutral
    ballot-administration entity.

    That entity is currently LDEC.  However, LDEC has TAKEN A POSITION in
    the cover letter of the current bylaw-change ballot.

    To me this flies in the face of basic ethical behavior.  If the entity
    charged with administering a ballot has a position, pro or con, on the
    outcome of the ballot, then the entity should step aside and a new,
    neutral agency should take its place.

    I do not see how we can have a ballot process which is demonstrably
    fair and open -- as opposed to "maybe, sorta, kinda, mostly fair" -- in
    such a situation.

    I'm not sure where this falls in the universe of canons, bylaws, and
    bills of rights, but it should be there somewhere.

    (Frankly I find this ethics problem, which affects all of us, more
    significant than the potential ethics problem of admitting Kevin
    Mitnick to a symposium, but that may be my personal problem.)

              <<< TOPAZ::$255$DUA0:[NOTES$LIBRARY]ETHICS.NOTE;1 >>>
                     -< Welcome to the ETHICS conference >-
Note 15.1                 Ballot-administration ethics                    1 of 1
TOPAZ::HASSINGER                                     15 lines  25-APR-1991 10:29
               -< Very serious mistake.  How can it be undone? >-
    When I read that statement from LDEC in the cover letter I had not been
    clear if LDEC actually was running this election or if it was the
    Board.  It is incredible that LDEC, with its tradition of maintaining
    a neutral position and its charge under the by-laws could do this.

    The LDEC institution, and its members who allowed this have been
    discredited.  The damage has been done.  I don't know what they could
    do now to set it right. Obviously an _immediate_ explanation and
    apology is the first necessity.  Unless they have a credible rational
    for why it was OK, it would seem resignations are the only option.
    That will not undo the damage to the current ballot process however
    which is now in serious doubt.

    I wonder if this gross violation of election ethics will receive
    attention in the DEC press?

jeh@dcs.simpact.com (04/27/91)

In article <00947A86B48FB3E0.00002CBC@eisner.decus.org>,
 hassinger@topaz.decus.org (Bob Hassinger) writes:
> I think those who are receiving ballots in the current DECUS by-law change
> election should be aware of the following discussion on DECUServe which has
> surfaced.  LDEC, the DECUS "election commission", has included an endorsement
> of the PRO view in their cover letter.  I appears this is inappropriate and
> tends to improperly influence the voters.

Posting of opinions on this issue to comp.os.vms (a mistake not made by Bob,
but others have done so) is inappropriate too.

	--- Jamie Hanrahan (x1116), Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Chair, VMS Internals Working Group, U.S. DECUS VAX Systems SIG
Internet:  jeh@dcs.simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh

davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu (04/28/91)

> Posting of opinions on this issue to comp.os.vms (a mistake not made by Bob,
> but others have done so) is inappropriate too.

Why?  Are these newsgroups responsible in some way for running elections?  I
fail to see why posting opinions in various related newsgroups is
'inappropriate'.  Please elucidate your reasoning for the 'statement of fact'
above.  If things had NOT been cross-posted, I, for one, would be completely
unaware of the situation which has arisen -- not all of us subscribe to
comp.org.decus.

--

David Paschall-Zimbel		davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu

cfraizer@indiana.edu (colin fraizer) (04/29/91)

In article <1991Apr28.114603.1@simvax.labmed.umn.edu> davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu writes:
[stuff deleted]
>above.  If things had NOT been cross-posted, I, for one, would be completely
>unaware of the situation which has arisen -- not all of us subscribe to
>comp.org.decus.
[more stuff deleted]

You're absolutely right: not all of us subscribe to comp.org.decus.
Those of us who _care_ about situations that arise in the
organization, however, should subscribe to that group.  If the readers
of this group cared about the inner workings of Decus, we'd subscribe
too.

Before you get out your flamethrowers, yes, I am aware that not
everyone is reading this as a newgroup, but that it is gatewayed to a
mailing list.  If there is interest in a Decus mailing list, create
one.  I prefer that comp.os.vms (and info-vax for that matter) not be
cluttered with Decus politics.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Colin Fraizer				           Network Applications
University Computing Services		           cfraizer@indiana.edu
Indiana University, USA			                 (812) 855-7385
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

jms@misvax.mis.arizona.edu (Joel M Snyder) (04/30/91)

In article <1991Apr28.114603.1@simvax.labmed.umn.edu>, davidli@simvax.labmed.umn.edu writes...
>> Posting of opinions on this issue to comp.os.vms (a mistake not made by Bob,
>> but others have done so) is inappropriate too.
>
>If things had NOT been cross-posted, I, for one, would be completely
>unaware of the situation which has arisen -- not all of us subscribe to
>comp.org.decus.

Your reasoning is fallacious.  The reason that we have multiple news
groups is so that one only has to listen to information one wants to.
There are many, many things you don't know because they haven't been
posted to comp.os.vms, and this is no reason to post them.  If you're
interested in DECUS elections, then you should subscribe to comp.org.decus.
If you're interested in motorsports, then subscribe to rec.bikers (or
whatever it is).  The fact that a broad majority of the readers of one
group overlaps the broad majority of another constituency seems to bring
out this annoying, and perverse, tendency.  Posters who wish to avoid
being known as "bandwidth wasters" should consider the ANNOUNCED readership
of a newsfroup, (i.e., people who care about vax/vms) rather than the
COINCIDENTAL readership (i.e., people who care about vax/vms are likely
to be members of DECUS, and thus are likely to care about DECUS matters,
even if there is a whole group dedicated to DECUS matters).

In fact, this posting would have been better directed to an imaginary group,
comp.os.vms.d, which would discuss postings in comp.os.vms (rather than
discussing matters of substance, such as how I reset this darn new mail
count).

jms

Joel M Snyder, The Mosaic Group, 627 E Speedway, 85705  Phone: 602.626.8680
(University of Arizona, Dep't of MIS, Eller Graduate School of Management)
BITNET: jms@arizmis  Internet: jms@mis.arizona.edu  SPAN: 47541::uamis::jms
"Son, all fat women are horny." - Mark Parity (parity@comm.com)

m1b@rayssd.ssd.ray.com (M. Joseph Barone) (04/30/91)

In article <29APR91231050@misvax.mis.arizona.edu> jms@misvax.mis.arizona.edu
writes:
> Your reasoning is fallacious.  The reason that we have multiple news
> groups is so that one only has to listen to information one wants to.
> ... If you're
> interested in DECUS elections, then you should subscribe to comp.org.decus.
> The fact that a broad majority of the readers of one
> group overlaps the broad majority of another constituency seems to bring
> out this annoying, and perverse, tendency.  Posters who wish to avoid
> being known as "bandwidth wasters" should consider the ANNOUNCED readership...

	Another "annoying and perverse tendency" is that several people
who intended to cross-post (or should have cross-posted) didn't.  These
people posted the exact same articles in several newsgroups without
cross-posting.  This has the result that subscribers of multiple newsgroups
(like me) read these articles in comp.org.decus and then saw the same
articles in comp.os.vms! To me, this is a greater waste of bandwidth and
disk space.

	On a more pertinent topic, I find it peculiar that those opposed
to the change are so vocal while those for the change haven't posted
anything in this newsgroup to defend their position.  Why is that?

	BTW, I just received my ballot package and have voted.
--
Joe Barone --------------------> m1b@rayssd.ssd.ray.com
{gatech, decuac, sun, necntc, ukma, uiucdcs}!rayssd!m1b

oberman@ptavv.llnl.gov (05/01/91)

In article <29APR91231050@misvax.mis.arizona.edu>, jms@misvax.mis.arizona.edu (Joel M Snyder) writes:
> Your reasoning is fallacious.  The reason that we have multiple news
> groups is so that one only has to listen to information one wants to.
> There are many, many things you don't know because they haven't been
> posted to comp.os.vms, and this is no reason to post them.  If you're
> interested in DECUS elections, then you should subscribe to comp.org.decus.
> If you're interested in motorsports, then subscribe to rec.bikers (or
> whatever it is).  The fact that a broad majority of the readers of one
> group overlaps the broad majority of another constituency seems to bring
> out this annoying, and perverse, tendency.  Posters who wish to avoid
> being known as "bandwidth wasters" should consider the ANNOUNCED readership
> of a newsfroup, (i.e., people who care about vax/vms) rather than the
> COINCIDENTAL readership (i.e., people who care about vax/vms are likely
> to be members of DECUS, and thus are likely to care about DECUS matters,
> even if there is a whole group dedicated to DECUS matters).

The reasoning is not entirely fallacious. comp.os.vms is gatewayed to info-vax
where at least several hundred people with an interest in DECUS issues can be
reached. These people don't have access to network news and no access to this
group.

I haven't made up my mind as to which side of this argument I think is right,
but there is room for debate.

R. Kevin Oberman			Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov		(415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
and probably don't really know anything useful about anything. Especially
anything gnu.

nieland_t@kahuna.asd-yf.wpafb.af.mil (05/01/91)

In article <12450@rayssd.ssd.ray.com>, m1b@rayssd.ssd.ray.com (M. Joseph Barone) writes:
> 	Another "annoying and perverse tendency" is that several people
> who intended to cross-post (or should have cross-posted) didn't.  These
> people posted the exact same articles in several newsgroups without
> cross-posting.  This has the result that subscribers of multiple newsgroups
> (like me) read these articles in comp.org.decus and then saw the same
> articles in comp.os.vms! To me, this is a greater waste of bandwidth and
> disk space.

These people are not posting through NEWS.  They are sending the posting
through a MAIL gateway as mail messages.  Many of these messages are coming
from volunteers who normally don't have network access but now have the access
on the DECUS VAX systems which recently added Internet MAIL access (no NEWS).

> 	On a more pertinent topic, I find it peculiar that those opposed
> to the change are so vocal while those for the change haven't posted
> anything in this newsgroup to defend their position.  Why is that?

I personally believe it is because they have all the material that is going
out in the ballot packet, where the CON side was denied having material.

> 	BTW, I just received my ballot package and have voted.

Good Job!!
(I have also voted!)

Ted Nieland				nieland_t@kahuna.asd-yf.wpafb.af.mil
Control Data Corporation		nieland@dayfac.cdc.com