[comp.sys.mac] On vague or cryptic error messages

guido@mcvax.uucp (Guido van Rossum) (11/19/86)

In article <4317@ut-ngp.UUCP> werner@ut-ngp.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
>well, I have no complaints about the program 'working', however, I must say
>that it is very cryptic about what it is doing.  When I ran it against my
>DataFrame that could not be backed up successfully by a LoDown tape-drive,
>Disk First Aid reported that "something is wrong - do you want me to fix it?"

I can say something in defense of Apple here.  I'm sure they made the
message vague on purpose (I would hardly call this cryptic), with the
average level of expertise of most users of the program in mind.  For
someone without much hardware experience (even me, sometimes), error
messages like (I'm making this up):

	BLOCKS REFERENCED IN NO FILE (5067) -- ADD TO FREE LIST?

are actually more cryptic and less understandable than "something is
wrong - do you want me to fix it?"  I agree that the program should have
an "expert mode" where it reports what is wrong in language
understandable to a technician; but the default behaviour should address
laymen.

Furthermore (here you may laugh at my gullibility) I expect that Apple
knows very well that it should only try to fix things when it is
absolutely sure they can be fixed.  As with the mythical encounter with
a lion, where actually the lion is as afraid of you as you are of the
lion, I expect that Apple tests such a program like mad, our of fear
that something is wrong with it, it thrashes someone's perfectly good
data, and Apple gets a lawsuit.  Even without a lawsuit, publicity
about this could only be negative for the company.

	Guido van Rossum, CWI, Amsterdam <guido@mcvax.uucp>