[comp.sys.mac] Break Key w/128k Roms, old keyboard, Macterminal

rjs@trwrb.UUCP (Robert J. Suyehara) (11/14/86)

Is there a break key for Macterminal using the old keyboard with
the 128k ROMs?  I seem to remember someone mentioning that option-
enter with the new keyboard would send a break, but this does not
work with the old board.  All I get is control-C.  Do I just need
the new keyboard?  Any info is appreciated.

Bob Suyehara

earleh@dartvax.UUCP (Earle R. Horton) (11/15/86)

> Is there a break key for Macterminal using the old keyboard with
> the 128k ROMs?  I seem to remember someone mentioning that option-
> enter with the new keyboard would send a break, but this does not
> work with the old board.  All I get is control-C.  Do I just need
> the new keyboard?  Any info is appreciated.
>
> Bob Suyehara

If shift-enter doesn't work, try sending a few control-spaces.  (control-
space is a null, which is the same as a break, but shorter)  If all else
fails, get into emacs, give it the "describe key" command, and try 'em all.

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (11/17/86)

>> Is there a break key for Macterminal using the old keyboard with
>> the 128k ROMs? ...  All I get is control-C.  Do I just need
>> the new keyboard?  Any info is appreciated.
>>
>> Bob Suyehara

It sounds like you are talking to your Unix system.  Many Unix systems
translate an incoming break into the interrupt character (apparently ^C
in your case) when in cooked mode.  In raw mode, you get a null (or
perhaps several).  There is no easy way for a user program to distinguish a
break from legitimate character input.

To answer your question directly - I use a terminal packet switch that
requires <break> to enter its command mode.  It works fine when I hit
<enter> on my old keyboard on my 512e (new ROMs).

--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)

mfp@twitch.UUCP ( M Pyfer) (11/20/86)

In article <1418@trwrb.UUCP>, rjs@trwrb.UUCP (Robert J. Suyehara) writes:
> Is there a break key for Macterminal using the old keyboard with
> the 128k ROMs?  I seem to remember someone mentioning that option-

Answer:
Break in MacTerminal using the old keyboard is the ~ (tilde) key in the
upper left corner (w/o shift).

Mark Pyfer
...ihnp4!twitch!mfp

mfp@twitch.UUCP ( M Pyfer) (11/20/86)

My apologies, the previous posting about the break key in MacTerminal
was wrong.  The ~ key is escape, but the break key is control-| (where
control is the odd cloverleaf shape on the Mac).  Again do not use
shift, even though | is selected using shift.  I just cannot remember
what the lowercase symbol on the | key is, and my Mac is at home!  By
the way, I just noticed that the MacPlus keyboard has no | on it!  Does
anyone know how to get a pipe in Unix (|) when using this keyboard?

mfp