[comp.sys.mac] Apple SCSI

andyi@mmm.UUCP (Andy Ihlenfeldt) (11/10/86)

   I'm about to purchase a 20MB SCSI and have been looking at a couple.
The biggest problem I've seen is noise.  The DataFrame SCSI seems
to develop a squeel over time, while the Apple SCSI has an awfully
loud motor and fan.  Does anyone have any 'happly ever after' stories
that could change my mind one way or the other.  Speed can be a
consideration, but I figure that compared to what I'm used to, ANY
SCSI will seem like lightning.

Thanks

Andy Ihlenfeldt
3M Company
St. Paul, MN
ihnp4!mmm!andyi

cosmos@druhi.UUCP (GuestRA) (11/13/86)

> The biggest problem I've seen is noise.  The DataFrame SCSI seems
> to develop a squeel over time, while the Apple SCSI has an awfully
> loud motor and fan.
> Thanks
> Andy Ihlenfeldt

I bought a DataFrame 20 about 6 weeks ago, and it is wonderfully quiet!  I
used to have a Mac with integral Hyperdrive and the DataFrame is just as
quiet.  The squeal problem has been fixed in new shipments according to
SuperMac.  The DF20 is also faster and cheaper.
Ron Guest
ihnp4!druhi!cosmos

ins_aanr@jhunix.UUCP (Lord C.A.M.E.L.) (11/17/86)

ECONOPHILES INC.

In article <1088@mmm.UUCP> andyi@mmm.UUCP (Andy Ihlenfeldt) writes:

>   I'm about to purchase a 20MB SCSI and have been looking at a couple.
>The biggest problem I've seen is noise.  The DataFrame SCSI seems
>to develop a squeel over time, while the Apple SCSI has an awfully
>loud motor and fan.  Does anyone have any 'happly ever after' stories
>that could change my mind one way or the other.  Speed can be a
>consideration, but I figure that compared to what I'm used to, ANY
>SCSI will seem like lightning.

I am interested too. Please either post or mail to ins_ammm@jhunix
(I am using a friend's account)

Thanks a lot in advance
						Mazen MOKHTAR

waltervj@dartvax.UUCP (11/21/86)

> ECONOPHILES INC.
>

> In article <1088@mmm.UUCP> andyi@mmm.UUCP (Andy Ihlenfeldt) writes:
>
> >   I'm about to purchase a 20MB SCSI and have been looking at a couple.
> >The biggest problem I've seen is noise.  The DataFrame SCSI seems
> >to develop a squeel over time, while the Apple SCSI has an awfully
> >loud motor and fan.  Does anyone have any 'happly ever after' stories
> >that could change my mind one way or the other.  Speed can be a
> >consideration, but I figure that compared to what I'm used to, ANY

In regards to sound... At work We have an Apple HD20SC, it, on others I've heard
sound like a small jet engine on startup and then 'quiet' down to a dull roar.
My dataframe, in an office enviornemnt is inaudible, at home in the quiet woods
of Vermont it is audible but not bothersome.  Still no squeel after three months
of intensive use.  I'm very pleased with it in all respects.
-waltervj@dartvax

espen@well.UUCP (11/22/86)

In article <3950@jhunix.UUCP>, ins_aanr@jhunix.UUCP (Lord C.A.M.E.L.) writes:

> ECONOPHILES INC.
>

> In article <1088@mmm.UUCP> andyi@mmm.UUCP (Andy Ihlenfeldt) writes:
>
> >   I'm about to purchase a 20MB SCSI and have been looking at a couple.
> >The biggest problem I've seen is noise.  The DataFrame SCSI seems
> >to develop a squeel over time, while the Apple SCSI has an awfully
> >loud motor and fan.  Does anyone have any 'happly ever after' stories
> >that could change my mind one way or the other.  Speed can be a
> >consideration, but I figure that compared to what I'm used to, ANY
> >SCSI will seem like lightning.
>
> I am interested too. Please either post or mail to ins_ammm@jhunix
> (I am using a friend's account)
>
> Thanks a lot in advance
> 						Mazen MOKHTAR
	I recommend looking into the SCSI drives made by a company in
Santa Clara, CA by the name 'Peripheral Land'.
	The drives are fast and reliable, priced competitively and seem to
be a good deal all around.
	I am in no way connected with 'Peripheral Land', but am just a satisfiedcustomer.