[comp.sys.mac] DataFrame 20/40 XP upgrade

korn@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (11/22/86)

I just got my XP upgrade yesterday (came on the first shipment of 'em
to that store), and installed later that night.  The upgrade consists
of a new PROM chip inside the DataFrame, and a new initializer program.
The new PROM necessitates reformatting of the drive--you cannot
get just part of the speed increase by putting in the chip but not
the reformat.

However, you will see a slight increase in speed by just installing
the new "drivers" using the initializer 2.1 (to be found in the
~/pub/mac directory of ucbvax.berkeley.edu's public ftp).  The
timings I got using DiskTimer (the older version) were as follows:

Initializer 1.5		2.1 drivers	2.1 initialized		full XP

~29.x read/write	~27.x r/w	~21.x r/w		15/14.9 r/w

So, as SuperMac claims, the XP gives about a 100% speed increase, given
32K blocks per read/write.  But, it's worthwhile noting, for folks who
have better uses for their $80-$100 than an XP upgrade, you can get
a ~30% increase JUST FROM THE NEW INITIALIZER.

With all of my SuperMac/Dataframe related postings, I believe it's time I
made something clear...

DISCLAIMER:  I neither work for SuperMac, nor do I directly benefit from
the sale of any SuperMac products.  I'm merely a very satisfied customer,
and a non-commission salesperson who has been very happy recommending
this drive to my customers.

Peter
-----
Peter "Arrgh" Korn		           I know lots of honorary jews!  Why,
korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU			  some of my very best friends
{decvax,dual,hplabs,sdcsvax,ulysses}!ucbvax!korn            are honorary jews!

rcopm@yabbie.rmit.oz (Paul Menon) (11/25/86)

In article <1091@zen.BERKELEY.EDU>, korn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) writes:
> ...the new "drivers" using the initializer 2.1 (to be found in the
> ~/pub/mac directory of ucbvax.berkeley.edu's public ftp).  The
> timings I got using DiskTimer (the older version) were as follows:
>
> Initializer 1.5		2.1 drivers	2.1 initialized		full XP
>
> ~29.x read/write		~27.x r/w	~21.x r/w		15/14.9 r/w
>
> So, as SuperMac claims, the XP gives about a 100% speed increase, given
> 32K blocks per read/write...

	Errr, a 100% speed increase means doing something in no time flat!
Now, we have a couple of DF's down under here, can we get the same improvement?
(Perhaps the coriolis force would prevent this from happening)

     Keep Shmiling
     Paul Menon.

    Dept of Communication & Electronic Engineering,
    Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology,
    124 Latrobe St, Melbourne, 3000, Australia

ACSnet: rcopm@yabbie             UUCP: ...!seismo!munnari!yabbie.rmit.oz!rcopm
CSNET:  rcopm@yabbie.rmit.oz     ARPA: rcopm%yabbie.rmit.oz@seismo
BITNET: rcopm%yabbie.rmit.oz@CSNET-RELAY
PHONE:  +61 3 660 2619.