[comp.sys.mac] Icon Review Winter Catalog / Can you say Vaporware?

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (11/21/86)

Got the latest issue of the Icon Review Mail Order catalog, and once again,
the word which sums it up would seem to be "premature".  I have a few
friends who bought Multi-Write from IR's previous issue -- which was
advertised as if it were available at the time of printing.  They're still
waiting; and what should appear in this issue but something called
"MindWrite" which looks *startingly* like MultiWrite.  God only knows if
this puppy suffers from vaporware lock or not, but with Microsoft Word 3.0
coming out in a month, it's got nothing I want.  Other rather raw
advertisements include CricketDraw, which I know for a fact is only in Beta
versions; and a hardware buffer for a LaserWriter called MacBufferLW which
runs about $2,200.  These people really make me appreciate MacConnection...

PS.  For those of you who've gotten the Borland pamphlets in the mail:
is it just me, or does John Sculley look like he expects Phillip Kahn to
bite him?

                        "We Americans, we're a simple people... but piss us
                         off, and we'll bomb your cities."
                                        -- Robin Williams

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
ARPA:         fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.EDU
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

briand@tekig4.UUCP (11/21/86)

>Got the latest issue of the Icon Review Mail Order catalog, and once again,
>the word which sums it up would seem to be "premature".

Yes, I once ordered Doug Clapp's Word Tools, or some such, which was CERTAINLY
in the vaporware category.  Icon Review sent me bi-weekly notices of it being
backordered, and did I want to wait or get my money back.  Well, when they no
longer listed the product, I said money back.  Total effect:  I no longer get
bi-weekly notices.  I certainly haven't gotten back my $49.  Be patient, they
say, but it's been about 8 weeks so far.  Time for a certified letter. . .

>For those of you who've gotten the Borland pamphlets in the mail:
>is it just me, or does John Sculley look like he expects Phillip Kahn to
>bite him?

I hate to judge people solely by looks, but Mr. Sculley might just have good
reason here!

As an aside, Icon Review lists TurboPascal at $66, and their catalog arrived
the same day as Borland's flyer for the $99 product.  Too bad I won't order
from Icon Review!

-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc. (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply)

cramer@sun.uucp (Sam Cramer) (11/24/86)

Did anyone else notice that Icon Review is selling Overvue2.0 for significantly
more than Borland "Reflex" (Overvue2.0 repackaged), which they also sell?

Amazing...

--

Sam Cramer	uucp:	{cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun!cramer
		arpanet: cramer@sun.com

korn@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (11/25/86)

In article <9579@sun.uucp> cramer@sun.UUCP (Sam Cramer) writes:
>Did anyone else notice that Icon Review is selling Overvue2.0 for significantly
>more than Borland "Reflex" (Overvue2.0 repackaged), which they also sell?
>
>Amazing...

Sorry Sam, but your wrong.  Borland's "Reflex" definitely is NOT Overvue2.0
repackaged.  It IS Interlace repackaged.  How do I know?  Because our
store just sent back two Interlaces to Borland and got Reflexes in
exchange.

Peter
-----
Peter "Arrgh" Korn		           I know lots of honorary jews!  Why,
korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU			  some of my very best friends
{decvax,dual,hplabs,sdcsvax,ulysses}!ucbvax!korn            are honorary jews!

capener@hpccc.HP.COM (Chris Capener) (11/25/86)

--
Reflex is Interlace repackaged, not Overvue.

---------
Chris Capener

hplabs!hpccc!capener

--

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (11/25/86)

In article <9579@sun.uucp> cramer@sun.UUCP (Sam Cramer) writes:
>Did anyone else notice that Icon Review is selling Overvue2.0 for significantly
>more than Borland "Reflex" (Overvue2.0 repackaged), which they also sell?
>
>Amazing...

Reflex is Interlace, not Overvue2.0.
--
emordnilapanalpanama

Tim Smith       USENET: sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim   Compuserve: 72257,3706
                Delphi or GEnie: mnementh

graifer@net1.UCSD.EDU (Dan Graifer) (11/29/86)

(complaints about Icon Review that turned into discussion of Reflex)

1) I got my copy of Reflex from MacConnection: Good Price, Fast Service, no
   problems: 1-800-622-5472.  They advertise in MacWorld

2) Reflex:

Reflex really is an astonishingly cheap way of setting up really elaborate
relational databases.  The report writing features are very flexible.  It
seems fairly fast. It isn't copy protected.

The main problem is that the update/entry forms are very inflexible.  You
must have exactly one form for each file, and each form may only refer to
its own file.  No fancy forms that collect information for several files.
Also, the field validity checking is pretty limited, for example, no
arithmetic computations are allowed, just relational expressions.

Finally, the most frustrating part of the above complaints is that the
limitations are not documented, and produce no error message; The just don't
work and are ignored.

Conclusion: I am basically happy at the price, but I am very much looking
forward to a new release with better forms.

Dan Graifer
graifer@net1.UCSD.EDU
(Standard Disclaimers Apply)

howard@amdahl.UUCP (Howard C. Simonson) (11/30/86)

In article <323@net1.UCSD.EDU> graifer@net1.UUCP (Dan Graifer) writes:

> 1) I got my copy of Reflex from MacConnection: Good Price, Fast Service, no
>    problems: 1-800-622-5472.  They advertise in MacWorld

So did I, what a coincidence.  Ditto on the comments.  Between Icon Review and
Northeastern, MacConnection seems to be the only reputable mail order house
for Mac software.  All this and good ads...

> 2) Reflex:
>
> Reflex really is an astonishingly cheap way of setting up really elaborate
> relational databases.  The report writing features are very flexible.  It
> seems fairly fast. It isn't copy protected.

Agreed.

Dan then goes on to gripe (justifiably) about the forms entry side of things.
That's Dan's gripe.  Mine is in reporting, or documentation, whichever is
keeping me from producing the report (query) I need.  Here's how it goes:

The wife and I said last year: next year we're gonna be better about those
last minute holiday card mailings; so we bought a box of Avery labels and
said next year, Mac is gonna produce the mailing.  Well, here it is, next
year.  Haven't mailed a card yet BUT, we got Reflex, produced a database
design, and filled it with the necessary data.  In fact I have been able
to produce a report that will generate and print the mailing labels.
Hallelujah!  Reflex has practicaly paid for itself.  We may even get cute
and put a little graphic tree or snowman on the edge of the label.

But, I now find I want more than a label report.  The database design
is done in two files: Rolodex and Persons.  The links are Many to Many
on both sides of the fence.  What I haven't benn able to do is create
a report that is an agregate of the two files.  For example:

Rolodex holds mailing addresses for households and links to the Persons
file; and the Persons file includes birthdays and anniversaries.  How can
I generate a query/report of mailing addresses (for labels, we're getting
real daring) for all those people who have birthdays in January?

Any Reflex guru want to try and tackle that one?

Besides that and the fact my Font menu is ALWAYS grey, its a pretty good
product.  At least I haven't seen a bomb yet (knock on coax).

P.S.  If anyone is interested in my database design, send me mail.
      Enough interest and I'll post it.

--
"What  it boils  down to is that  when                       Howard C. Simonson
you have a problem you want a solution."    ...{hplabs,ihnp4,nsc}!amdahl!howard

[ A disclaimer for this messages is on file in my elevator and may be viewed
  Monday thru Friday between the hours of 9-5 and between floors 3 thru 11 ]

billp@elxsi.UUCP (Bill Petro) (12/06/86)

In article <9579@sun.uucp> cramer@sun.UUCP (Sam Cramer) writes:
>Did anyone else notice that Icon Review is selling Overvue2.0 for significantly
>more than Borland "Reflex" (Overvue2.0 repackaged), which they also sell?

I believe you're thinking of 'Interlace'.  This was later repackaged as
"Reflex" for the Mac and is a significantly less expensive product.
By the way, Reflex is a nice little package.

--
Bill Petro
 ({ucbvax!sun,altos86,styx}!elxsi!billp)