[comp.sys.mac] Why won't my Mac eject the disk?!

chou@husc2.UUCP (chou) (12/08/86)

Here's another question for any hardware folk out there... I recently had my
Mac upgraded to a Plus, but evidently, the bozos who did the job either did
the installation poorly, or gave me a drive with a bum eject mechanism.  The
problem is this:  with most disks, if I try to eject, the drive souNewsgroups: comp.sys.mac
Subject: Why won't my Mac eject the disk?!
Expires:
Here's another question for any hardware folk out there... I recently had my
Mac upgraded to a Plus, but evidently, the bozos who did the job either did
the installation poorly, or gave me a drive with a bum eject mechanism.  The
problem is this:  with most disks, if I try to eject, the drive sounds like
it's making a lot of effort to get it out, and the disk sort of slowly oozes
out of the unit.  With some disks, ejecting results in the disk getting
caught halfway out.  The only way to get it out is to fiddle with a paper
clip and pull the protruding part of the disk at the same time.
     I am almost inclined to suspect that the drive is simply not properly
aligned in the housing.  It seems like the disk is really getting caught on
something on the way out.  I was also informed that there is a variable
speed control for the drive eject.  Another thought is that this is simply
set at too low a level.
     I'd really appreciate any advice anyone has concerning this.  I'm
reluctant to take it back to where I had the installation done for fear
that they'll: 1) charge me an arm and a leg; and 2) discover that they
charged me too little for the original installation.  I guess you get
what you pay for... sigh.

					--Luyen Chou
					  The Core Corps
					  Harvard University

oster@lapis.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (12/09/86)

In article <1059@husc2.UUCP> chou@husc2.UUCP (luyen chou) writes:
> I was also informed that there is a variable speed control for the
>drive eject.

In Apple's first major computer, the Apple 2, the speaker was under
software control, but only by a single bit.  The programmer could write a
one to it to turn the speaker full on, a zero to turn it full off. The
programmer could make sound by modulating the writing of ones to the
speaker.  The modern Apple product, the Mac, has an 8 bit D-A converter
connected to the speaker, allowing for many more possibilities in the
machine's sound.

Similarly, the original Mac had a one bit disk ejector. Now we are told
that more modern machines have a variable ejector control.  Think of the
possibilities! Be the first on your block to use your Mac for skeet
shooting!
--- David Phillip Oster		-- "We live in a Global Village."
Arpa: oster@lapis.berkeley.edu  --
Uucp: ucbvax!ucblapis!oster     -- "You are Number Six."

billp@elxsi.UUCP (Bill Petro) (12/09/86)

>I recently had my Mac upgraded to a Plus, but evidently, the bozos who did the
>job either did
>the installation poorly, or gave me a drive with a bum eject mechanism.  The
>problem is this:  with most disks, if I try to eject, the drive sounds like
>it's making a lot of effort to get it out, and the disk sort of slowly oozes
>     I am almost inclined to suspect that the drive is simply not properly
>aligned in the housing.  It seems like the disk is really getting caught on
>something on the way out.  I was also informed that there is a variable
>					--Luyen Chou

It is very likely that the drive was misaligned when the new one was put in.
This was a common problem when the new 800k drives were installed as the
opening is not very big.
I suspect that the disk is hitting the edge of the plastic shell when it is
coming out and that the disk is dragging.  This can cause problems.  Keep in
mind that if damage is done to the drive then you will be up defecation
tributary without a wooden spade-like propulsion unit.  Apple dealers do not
repair the drives but swap you for another.  It is about $115 plus labor.
They send the drives to Apple.  Apple does not deal with them but sends them
back to Sony.  If your Mac Plus is still under warranty (90 days?) I would
recommend taking it back to the dealer.
--
Bill Petro
 ({ucbvax!sun,altos86,styx}!elxsi!billp)

chou@husc2.UUCP (chou) (12/10/86)

I've received lots of responses from pele about my disk ejecting problems.
Evidently this is a common problem with the new 800K drives... especially with
upgraded Macs.  No one seems quite sure what to do, but many have suggested
that the problem has a Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Why won't my Mac eject the disk?!

I've received lots of responses from pele about my disk ejecting problems.
Evidently this is a common problem with the new 800K drives... especially with
upgraded Macs.  No one seems quite sure what to do, but many have suggested
that the problem has a way of alleviating itself after a lot of disk ejecting.
If anyone knows a way that the problem can be permanently solved, PLEASE post
to the Net... it's really an amazing nuisance to have to keep a paper clip
in one's hand at all times.

Also, re: disk speed hardware control:  I was told by a friend that he visited
a repair shop where the repairmen had turned the eject speed up all the way.
When they ejected a disk, they simply held their hands out about a foot away
from the drive and caught the disk as it came flying out of the slot.  Who sez
computers can't be fun??!

--Luyen Chou
  The Core Corps
  Harvard University

danw@wheaton.UUCP (12/10/86)

In article <1059@husc2.UUCP>, chou@husc2.UUCP (chou) writes:
>      I am almost inclined to suspect that the drive is simply not properly
> aligned in the housing.
> 					--Luyen Chou

    Luyen, I have heard of others with problems similar to yours and the problem
does indeed seem to be a misaligned drive.
    If it were done by an Apple Dealer it should be warranted for 90 days.
Take it back and see if they can't do something to get it aligned.
     Dan Wilson

naftoli@aecom.UUCP (Robert N. Berlinger) (12/10/86)

In article <1059@husc2.UUCP>, chou@husc2.UUCP (chou) writes:

> Problem is this:  with most disks, if I try to eject, the drive sounds like
> it's making a lot of effort to get it out, and the disk sort of slowly oozes
> out of the unit.  With some disks, ejecting results in the disk getting
> caught halfway out.  The only way to get it out is to fiddle with a paper
> clip and pull the protruding part of the disk at the same time.

You're problem sounds to me like it is indeed a housing alignment problem.
I've installed a few upgrades myself and you have to fiddle with the drive
until it sits just right in relation to the Mac's cover -- otherwise you
get the problems that you are having or worse (the disks won't eject at all,
and pop themselves back in).

It's not too hard to do this yourself if you have some technical experience.
(You'll need a long torx #10 driver and a #0 phillips).  If not, take
it back to the people that installed the upgrade.
--
Robert N. Berlinger
Systems Analyst, Scientific Computing Center		Compuserve: 73047,741

brian@ut-sally.UUCP (12/10/86)

     I'm not sure our problems are completely the same, but we had a problem
with a mac that was similar.  The disk would eject just fine (i.e., proper
speed, sound, etc.); it would just get stuck half way out.
     We opened the mac, took out the disk drive and looked at it for an hour
or so.  It turned out that one of the pins that holds the disk in place was
a little bent.  For us, it was the one on the left side when looking front
to back.  If you look at a disk, you'll see a half-circle on the left and
right sides of the disk near the shutter.  Those are the places where the
pin in question grabs on.  We just bent the pin out a little bit and it started
ejecting fine.  You DO NOT have to disassemble the drive; you just have to
remove it's supporting bracket.
     If anybody can't figure it out, and wants a more thorough description,
let me know.

Brian H. Powell
		UUCP:	{ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!brian
		ARPA:	brian@sally.UTEXAS.EDU

   _Work_					 _Not Work_
  Department of Computer Sciences		P.O. Box 5899
  Taylor Hall 2.124				Austin, TX 78763-5899
  The University of Texas at Austin		(512) 346-0835
  Austin, TX 78712-1188
  (512) 471-9536

chou@husc2.UUCP (chou) (12/18/86)

Thanks everyone...  I've received tons of replies to my priginal message.  The
consensus seems to be that the disk drive is indeed misaligned in the housing,
and that it can be fixed easily by a repairman, or even by tNewsgroups: comp.sys.mac
Thanks everyone...  I've received tons of replies to my priginal message.  The
consensus seems to be that the disk drive is indeed misaligned in the housing,
and that it can be fixed easily by a repairman, or even by the user, if he/she
is willing to open up the Mac and futz with the drive.  I think I'll take mine
back and have it looked at.  BTW, I've received all sorts of warnings about
trying to force the disk out of the drive.  If anyone is having the same
problem as I am, DON'T PULL on the disk.  Get out a paper-clip and ease the
disk out.  I'll let y'all know if it gets fixed OK....

--Luyen Chou