[comp.sys.mac] Some End-of-year Thank-Yous for the Mac community

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (12/15/86)

After another year of owning a Mac (my 512K machine was upgraded
to a Mac+ this summer), I thought it time to deliver a few
thank-you kudos to people, organizations and things who had made
1986 a bit easier to Mac in.

First of all, gratitude to all the people who've produced software
(be it freeware, shareware or commercial) and hardware that works
reliably and is enjoyable & easy to use.  This includes SuperMac
(for their Dataframe 20), MindScape (for GraphicWorks), Silicon
Beach (for SuperPaint), Enabling Technologies (for Pro 3D), PBI
Software (for HFS Locator +), David Dunham (for DiskInfo), Steve
Dagley (for ViewPaint 1.1), Leo Laporte (for QDial), Lonnie
Anderson (For VersaTerm), and Microsoft (for MS Works and, from
the preview I saw last week, probably MS Word 3.0).

MacConnection, THE finest mail-order business I have ever dealt
with.  Always pleasant, reasonably-priced, prompt in mailing --
and straight-forward in telling you when you'll get it.  I have
never heard word one against them; I cannot recommend them highly
enough.

Neil Shapiro, for his timely and to-the-point editorials in
MacUser.  Ric Ford for his notes on Delphi and in MacInTouch.
Whoever's responsible for the changes in MacWorld over the last
few months (you'd hardly know it was the same magazine, except for
the ugly pastel artwork).  Chuq Von Rospach, for his advice and
good cheer.  And *especially* to the moderator of mod.mac and the
Delphi Journals posted there, who has consistently kept
interesting and helpful discussions a mainstay of that newsgroup.

Last and definately not least, all those of you who've given me
aid and advice through a flurry of Macintosh programs.  It would
appear to this unexperienced user that the Macintosh not only has
the best user interface of any PC, but also the best user
community.  Joyeux Noel, Y'all.

                                        "And I heard Jeff exclaim,
                                         as they strolled out of sight,
                                         `Merry Christmas to all
                                          -- you take credit cards, right?'"

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
ARPA:         fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.EDU
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) (12/16/86)

In article <177@oracle.tc.fluke.COM>, moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:

> good cheer.  And *especially* to the moderator of mod.mac and the
> Delphi Journals posted there, who has consistently kept
> interesting and helpful discussions a mainstay of that newsgroup.

   Thanks for the kind remarks. I would also like to thank Jeff Shulman
for his nice work in summarizing USENET news and DELPHI news for those
of us on the ARPANET.

>                                         Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer

   David Gelphman, info-mac moderator  (mod.mac)

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (12/16/86)

In article <177@oracle.tc.fluke.COM> I write:
>[...]
>First of all, gratitude to all the people who've produced software
>(be it freeware, shareware or commercial) and hardware that works
>reliably and is enjoyable & easy to use.  This includes
>[...], Lonnie
>Anderson (For VersaTerm),

Whoops -- I mean Lonnie ABELBECK.  I have nothing to be grateful to Lonnie
Anderson for (unfortunately for me...).

                        "Oh, No!  My heart is racing!  The metamorphosis has
                         started!  It's too late -- I can't stop it!  I'll
                         be that ugly green monster -- hated and hunted!
                         I'm...
                                I'm...
                                        I'm GUMBY, Dammit!"

howard@amdahl.UUCP (Howard C. Simonson) (12/17/86)

In article <177@oracle.tc.fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:

>         ...And *especially* to the moderator of mod.mac and the
> Delphi Journals posted there, who has consistently kept
> interesting and helpful discussions a mainstay of that newsgroup.
>
> Last and definately not least, all those of you who've given me
> aid and advice through a flurry of Macintosh programs.

Well Jeff beat me to this one, but I want to add my thanks to all our
moderators for an excellent job all year.  Life would not be nearly so
complete, without the discussions from Delphi and INFO-MAC.  I think
the quality of program postings has improved under Roger Long's moderation
of the mod.mac.binaries group (the majority work on the first posting).
And, of course, thanks to all the people who have kept *ME* from writing
a Mac program.  Everytime I find a need, someone posts a solution.
Service like this can't be bought, only appreciated.

--
"What  it boils  down to is that  when                       Howard C. Simonson
you have a problem you want a solution."    ...{hplabs,ihnp4,nsc}!amdahl!howard

[ A disclaimer for this messages is on file in my elevator and may be viewed
  Monday thru Friday between the hours of 9-5 and between floors 3 thru 11 ]

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (12/17/86)

Just a comment on mail-order houses from something I heard second-hand
regarding supplier relations.

MacConnection always pays, is very timely, businesslike, and easy
to deal with.  Icon Review is not.

Can you say business ethics?  Methinks there would be a correlation
between the way a supplier is treated and the way a customer is treated.
--
	Joel West			     MCI Mail: 282-8879
	Western Software Technology, POB 2733, Vista, CA  92083

bezanson@gumby.WISC.EDU (Brian Bezanson) (12/18/86)

In article <927@gould9.UUCP>, joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) writes:
> Just a comment on mail-order houses from something I heard second-hand
> regarding supplier relations.
							     ^^^^^^^^^^^
Second opinion is often wrong (and maybe it was somebody elses 2nd time
to).  We all seen the experiments of passing a message verbally down a
line and how much it changes.

> MacConnection always pays, is very timely, businesslike, and easy
> to deal with.  Icon Review is not.

I have had good success with MacConnection (when I can get through on the
phone) and I have also had great service with Icon Review.  I think most
problems with mail order companies actually customer errors.  When you make
an order, check to make sure they have the item in stock, price, shipping
methods and costs.  I have had perfect service from Icon Review in 6
different orders.  The complaints I have heard against them involve vaporware
products in their catalog.  They are the only ones I know of to actually have
a catalog.  Publishing a catalog means having deadlines for products to be
included - who knows if the Christmas catalog made in the Fall, will be shipping
every program mentioned in it.  I think it is better to carry to many products
than to few.

I have nothing but very good praise for all the Mac mail-order houses.  I have
ordered from Mac Connection, Icon Review, Programs Plus, and ComputerWare.

I have had no problems and have waited at most 14 days for any product.

[ Disclaimer: I have no relation to any of the above suppliers except being
  a satisfied customer of all of them. ]

--
Brian Bezanson {seismo,ihnp4,allegra,topaz,harvard}!uwvax!gumby!bezanson
Manta Software Corp.				  bezanson@gumby.wisc.edu

fisher@elxsi.UUCP (Chuck Fisher) (12/18/86)

I have had excellent experience with MacConnection and Icon Review for
mail order service.  Icon Review occaisonally has special sales that
are hard to resist.  As for ComputerWare, they are local and I stop by
weekly to see what new has arrived. They have mail order prices with a
retail outlet!  Very helpful staff.  Check them out at MacExpo next month.

Diclaimer: I do not have any affiliation with the above mentioned enterprises
other than being a satisified customer.

briand@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Diehm) (12/18/86)

>phone) and I have also had great service with Icon Review.  I think most
>problems with mail order companies actually customer errors.  When you make
>an order, check to make sure they have the item in stock, price, shipping
>methods and costs.  I have had perfect service from Icon Review in 6
>different orders.  The complaints I have heard against them involve vaporware
>products in their catalog.
>
>I have had no problems and have waited at most 14 days for any product.

Sorry, that just doesn't cut it.  Of course if they can't handle the ideal
condition then we're agreed, but I cannot go along with letting them off the
hook when they screw up exceptional cases.  Either they're ethical or they're
not, and my experience with Icon Review is definitely that they're not.

I am still awaiting money back from Icon Review for some vaporware they listed
in their catalog; vaporware I ordered within two days of receipt of that
catalog.  They 1) failed to inform me that it was vaporware - they let me
guess that for myself when the product wasn't listed in the next catalog, and
they 2) have yet to return my money, despite the request on their cancel/
continue waiting selection card (and since then certified letters).

Either one of the above is sufficient to trigger a mail-fraud investigation.

Unless you consider my provlem a "customer error."  Like, not calling to see
if what is in their 2-day-old catalog is in fact a product.  Like politely
waiting until several "cancel or keep waiting" selection cards had come
(replying to each to wait) before suspecting the product wasn't.  Like merely
taking the opportunity of the next "cancel or wait" selection card to select
"cancel and refund."  Like waiting weeks for a non-existent refund.  Like
sending a clear, detailed certified letter.  Like waiting for some reply to
THAT.  Customer error, indeed!

-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.  (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply, even though I am guilty of
                  gross customer error!)