[comp.sys.mac] Basic Compilers for the Macintosh

rs4u#@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) (12/14/86)

Microsoft just released a Basic compiler. This Basic is completely
source-compatible with the interpreted Basic, but it has the advantage of
having been implemented by someone other than Microsoft. This Basic compiler
was done by Absoft, who implemented MacFortan (later called Microsoft
Fortran). If the Absoft Basic is anything at all like their Fortran, then you
can expect a moderately slow compiler, code quality which is incredible, and
floating-point speed which is on the order of 10 times faster than the Mac's
built-in SANE math routines.

Absoft, by the way, also does Fortran for other 68000 machines, and has
special versions of MacFortran for 68020/68881 machines (like the HyperDrive
2000 and the Levco Prodigy)...

I have no affiliation with Absoft, save as a Pascal programmer who's used
their Fortran...

		--Rich

Richard M. Siegel

Arpanet: rs4u@andrew.cmu.edu (the only way to get to me!)
Uucp: {your fave gateway}!seismo!andrew.cmu.edu!rs4u

Disclaimer --> Disclaimers are bogus.

stew@endor.harvard.edu (Stew Rubenstein) (12/20/86)

In article <MS.V3.18.rs4u.80021103.harrisburg.ibm032.726.10@andrew.cmu.edu> rs4u#@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) writes:

>Absoft, by the way, also does Fortran for other 68000 machines, and has
>special versions of MacFortran for 68020/68881 machines (like the HyperDrive
>2000 and the Levco Prodigy)...

Correction:  The HyperDrive 2000 is a 12MHz 68000 with a 68881, not an '020.
It does not run nearly as fast as a Prodigy.  I doubt that MacFortran/020
will work on a HyperDrive 2000.