[comp.sys.mac] MacMan: Inside Macintosh Database

dhelaan@orstcs.UUCP (dhelaan) (12/21/86)

                      MACMAN DATABASE

	   A Help DataBase For Macintosh Programmers
                Based On Inside Macintosh

The problem we want to address here is that Inside Macintosh is :

   - A book of 800 pages of well over 600 routines.
   - Poorly indexed.
   - Needed frequently during  programming, hence it should be
     easy to retrieve the information needed by a programmer.

As a solution, MacMan and DAMacMan were developed as a tool
for the Macintosh programmer, not the casual user.

The Project :

Two database systems were written, tested, and made fully operational
on Mac Plus, or Mac XL!

MacMan :

A desktop application that retrieves Inside Macintosh information
by procedure/function name or alternatively, according to toolbox
manager category. Provides Multiple resizable windows, scrolling,
Text wraparound, copy/paste between database and clipboard.

DAMacMan :

Restricted form of MacMan that does what the desktop version
of MacMan does, but runs as a desk accessory. It does not support
Multiple windows, but Can be used from within any application,
concurrently, such as an editor.

This package is a user support software, if interested in getting
a copy send us a blank disk and a stamped self-addressed envelope.

Abdullah Al-Dhelaan
Ted. G. Lewis
Computer Science Dept.
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97330
(503)-754-3273

lampson@crvax1.dec.com (Mike Lampson - DEC - Arlington Heights, IL) (01/03/87)

> Subject: MacMan: Inside Macintosh Database
> Nf-ID: #N:orstcs:216800003:000:1395
> Nf-From: orstcs!dhelaan    Dec 20 13:11:00 1986

>                      MACMAN DATABASE

>This package is a user support software, if interested in getting
>a copy send us a blank disk and a stamped self-addressed envelope.

> Abdullah Al-Dhelaan
> Ted. G. Lewis
> Computer Science Dept.
> Oregon State University
> Corvallis, OR 97330
> (503)-754-3273

	Not to cut down the IDEA of this tool, but PLEASE stop putting this
advertisement, yes, ADVERTISEMENT into comp.sys.mac.  For one, this is the
third time I've seen it.  Second, it is against USENET policy (ethics??)
to advertise through newsgroups.  And third, you don't even mention that
you want $10 for it if the person who gets it wants to keep it.  I'm sure
it is a nice tool (I have a few friends who've said as much), but if you
MUST advertise (#$%@%#$), at least mention that you want $10 for it too!!

Mike
----------------------------------

  Mike Lampson
  Digital Equipment Corp.
  Arlington Heights, IL

  ARPA:   LAMPSON%CRVAX1.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM
  Genie:  M.LAMPSON
  UUCP:   {allegra,decvax,ihnp4,ucbvax}!decwrl!crvax1.dec.com!lampson

dhelaan@orstcs.UUCP (dhelaan) (01/05/87)

FOR YOU MIKE :

- You could have mailed me (not as a response) if you don't want a lot of
  thing posted to the net.

- We got a lot of requests from people in charge of the net asking us to
  post it.

- A bout the $10, that is understood from the definition of USER SUPPORT
  SOFTWARE and you know it is worth a lot more than that. Anyway we said
  that it is optional.

  You do have to turn in the registration slip, because we want to know
  who has it; but turn in $10 if you want upgrades and news or want to
  support us.

It is not an advertisement. we know we could have got a lot of money out
of it, but instead, we asked the users to send donations to our Department
of Computer Science at Oregon State University, to support our labs, and
we are still copying disks for the users.

Since donations go to the school they might be TAX DEDUCTIBLE.

- I posted it again, because the net changed the names and it scrolls real
  fast it was only posted for about a week or so.

Thanks Mike,
People like you is what make SHAREWARE a bad experience, but I am sure
there are a lot more people how appreciate our generosity and deserve
our work.