[comp.sys.mac] The never ending penny

bates@ssdevo.dec.com (Ken Bates DTN 522-2039) (01/06/87)

I've been having a problem lately in that the the total of the blocks in use
and blocks free as shown by the Finder seem to be increasing. Although not one
to complain about a disk which increases the available storage on a daily basis,
I'm a little nervous about such things as doubly allocated blocks and the like.

The configuration is a 512E with a Hyperdrive 20 with one HFS drawer. The
Hyperdrive software is V3R1, and the System/Finder are the latest. The figures
below are extracted from the Finder, and 2 GCC supplied utilities, Manager and
HyperTools. The exact scenario is as follows:

Finder:		10,884 free	10,309 in use		(21,193 total)
Hyper Tools:			11,776 in use	\
Manager:	 7,680 free			/ 	(19,456 total)

After a quick optimize using the HyperTools utility (2 blocks recovered):

Finder:		10,884 free	10,309 in use		(21,193 total)
Hyper tools:			11,264 in use	\
Manager:	 8,192 free			/	(19,456 total)

After full optimize using the HyperTools utility (2 blocks recovered):

Finder:		10,293 free	 9,006 in use		(19,299 total)
Hyper tools:			10,752 in use	\
Manager:	 8,704 free			/	(19,456 total)

Following this, booting from the Hyperdrive failed with an error of -60 while
mounting startup drawer. After initializating the Hyperdrive and performing a
full restore:

Finder:		 8,852 free	10,293 in use 		(19,145 total)
Hyper tools:			10,752 in use	|
Manager:	 8,704 free			|-	(19,456 total)

The only consistant figure is the 19,456 total reported by the 2 Hyperdrive
utilities, while the Finder only appears accurate after an initialization and
restore. I calloed GCC, but they had no idea what the problem was. Has anyone
else seen behavior like this or have any idea what is going on? The problem is
very repeatable (the Finder is currently showing 10,724 free, 10,213 in use, for
a total of 20,937). I have let the total of in use and free approach 30MB before
loosing my nerve and initializing and restoring, and nothing has appeared to be
corrupted yet. I suspect the Finder, since the GCC utilities appear to report
both accurate and stable figures, but since I haven't heard any other reports of
this nature, I can't really believe that the Finder is to blame. Any ideas?
Doing a ~10MB restore once a week is really getting old!

    - Ken Bates

jtyd@ur-tut.UUCP (Ty Dibble) (01/06/87)

Your mail arrived
.

.d
.q

can you see I don't yet know what I'm doing with this editor?

.done

!
.e

.d

.q

.s

/

.

radford@calgary.UUCP (Radford Neal) (01/07/87)

In article <7377@decwrl.DEC.COM>, bates@ssdevo.dec.com (Ken Bates	DTN 522-2039) writes:

> I've been having a problem lately in that the the total of the blocks in use
> and blocks free as shown by the Finder seem to be increasing...
>
> The configuration is a 512E with a Hyperdrive 20 with one HFS drawer. The
> Hyperdrive software is V3R1, and the System/Finder are the latest...
>
> Doing a ~10MB restore once a week is really getting old!

I hava a 10MB Hyperdrive and the latest software as above. I haven't
experienced this particular problem, but did encounter another one:

      After fiddling around with a number drawers (creating, optimizing,
      using both MFS and HFS, too many things to replicate), I found
      that:

          A) I had a HFS drawer with only 200K of data that the
             disk optimizer (HyperTools) refused to collapse to
             one 256K disk block.

          B) Two particular files in the drawer were "linked" - changing
             one changed the other, sometimes at least.

      Problem B went away if I disabled the Hyperdrive RAM cache.

      I copied the data to a different drawer and destroyed the original.
      I also disabled the Apple disk cache. I've had no problems since.

I've no idea if this is related to your problems. I would suggest you
try the following, however:

      1) Make your startup drawer a MFS volume. This is what I have.

      2) Disable the Apple disk cache from the control panel. The
         Hyperdrive documentation suggests this in some obscure corner
         of the manual. They say the Apple cache is not write-through,
         which is indeed a bit on the dangerous side for my tastes.

      3) Disable the Hyperdrive RAM cache if things still don't work.
         This is in the Manager under "Preferences", I think.

Good luck.

    Radford Neal

jtyd@ur-tut.UUCP (Ty Dibble) (01/09/87)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: The never ending penny (or, Tales From the Darkside)
I recently discovered the same problem with the same configuration (expanding
disk space on a 20Meg internal Hyperdrive/512KE).  My finder now shows 10,798K
in disk, and 15,619K available!!  I did not notice this increase until yesterday
as luck would have it because I normally display by name in the finder.  I had
a significant "BOMB" in MacWrite yesterday and found corrupted font files.  In  the process of replacing my system and finder I discovered my 20Meg disk was
well on the way to 30 Meg capacity!?? After I replaced the system/finder, I
tried to quick optimize and got a system error.  I guess it is time to
reinitialize my disk(again).  YUCK!! Any further info would be appreciated!
J. Ty Dibble (JTYD)