[comp.sys.mac] Smalltalk problems

vito@trwspf.UUCP (Herb Barad) (01/08/87)

I just recieved Smalltalk 0.3 in the mail from APDA after a 2 month
wait.  The interpreter Smalltalk.interp hangs my mac.  In fact, it
hangs any of the macs (all Mac+'s) I try it on.  The TMON debugger
says it is trying to execute an illegal instr.  Has anyone got
Smalltalk 0.3 to work?  Is my interpreter just corrupted?  I tried
the new image file with a pre-released version of 0.3 (called
"June11.interp") that I have and it worked (until I get a
primitive failed message - I suppose that primitive failure
would not have occured had I had a full 0.3 version of the interp.).

I am anxious to find out if 0.3 works.  Does it work off of a MacServe
volume? (I didn't try it yet with MacServe, but I would like to.)
Does it work with a 68020, floating point co-proc., and/or big screen?
I hope someone from APDA is listening, but I would appreciate a response
from anyone out there with info.  Thanks in advance.

--
Herb Barad - TRW Data Systems Lab
ARPA:	barad@brand.usc.edu	or	vito%trwspf.uucp@brand.usc.edu

leeke@cascade.STANFORD.EDU (Steven D. Leeke) (01/09/87)

In article <142@trwspf.UUCP> vito@trwspf.UUCP (Herb Barad) writes:
>I just recieved Smalltalk 0.3 in the mail from APDA after a 2 month
>wait.  The interpreter Smalltalk.interp hangs my mac.  In fact, it
>hangs any of the macs (all Mac+'s) I try it on.  The TMON debugger
>says it is trying to execute an illegal instr.  Has anyone got
>Smalltalk 0.3 to work?  Is my interpreter just corrupted?  I tried
>the new image file with a pre-released version of 0.3 (called
>"June11.interp") that I have and it worked (until I get a
>primitive failed message - I suppose that primitive failure
>would not have occured had I had a full 0.3 version of the interp.).

>--
>Herb Barad - TRW Data Systems Lab
>ARPA:	barad@brand.usc.edu	or	vito%trwspf.uucp@brand.usc.edu
>USENET:	...!{brand|trwrb}!trwspf!vito

I have had v0.3 w/ the June11.image running on a Plus since last Nov.  It
requires the full (as near as I can tell) 1MB.  If you have the ram cache
on it will die.  You need to have the image and the interp in one folder and
if you haven't joined (see the utilities that came w/ ST) the interp pieces
together (and the image pieces) things will defintely bomb (I probably should
assume anyone w/ enough techie background to even have ST 0.3 is aware of
this, but just to be sure...).

This is supposed to be a pre-beta and Apple was supposed to have a new
version out for schools to use, but that's got to be a low priority since
it isn't a revenue generator and Paris and Alladin are probably consuming
most Macish talent @ Apple now.

Steve Leeke

--
Steven D. Leeke, Center for Integrated Systems, Stanford University
    {ucbvax,decvax}!decwrl!glacier!leeke, leeke@cascade.stanford.edu

"I suppose they don't use money in the 23rd century?"

darryl@ism780c.UUCP (Darryl Richman) (01/09/87)

In article <142@trwspf.UUCP> vito@trwspf.UUCP (Herb Barad) writes:
>I just recieved Smalltalk 0.3 in the mail from APDA after a 2 month
>wait.  The interpreter Smalltalk.interp hangs my mac.
>Herb Barad - TRW Data Systems Lab
>ARPA:	barad@brand.usc.edu	or	vito%trwspf.uucp@brand.usc.edu
>USENET:	...!{brand|trwrb}!trwspf!vito

I don't know about 0.3, but I have 0.2 and it hangs my Mac+ if the cache
is enabled.  Turn your cache off and try again.

	    --Darryl Richman, INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.
	    ...!cca!ima\
			>-!ism780c!darryl
	    ...!sdcrdcf/
	    The views expressed above are my opinions only.