[comp.sys.mac] Rom Debugger -> Finder

mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) (01/02/87)

In article <4500@ut-ngp.UUCP>, jdm@ut-ngp.UUCP (Jim Meiss) writes:
> I've seen several times postings telling you how to get back to the
> finder from the ROM Debugger. My question is, what else can the
> debugger do? Where is there a list of commands it accepts.
>
> 						Jim Meiss
   I haven't really used it but Technote #38 is called The Macintosh Plus
Rom Debugger. Here are some basics from the technote:

PC [expr]   (program counter)
   Typing PC on a line by itself displays the program counter. Typing
PC 50000 sets the program counter to $50000.

SM [address [number(s)]]  (set memory)
Typing SM on a line by itself displays the next 96 bytes of memory. Typing
SM 50000 will display memory starting at $50000.
Typing SM 50000 4849 2054 6865 7265 2120  will set memory starting at
$50000 to $4849...  Subsequently hitting return will increment the display
a screen at a time.

DM [address]   (display memory)

Typing DM on a line by itself displays the next 96 bytes of memory. Typing
DM 50000 will display memory at $50000. Subsequently hitting return will
increment the display a screen at a time.

SR [expr]   (status register)

Typing SR on a line by itself displays the status register. Typing SR 2004
sets the status register to $2004.

TD   (total display)

Displays memory at the "magic" location $3FFC80, which contains the current
values of the 68000's registers. The registers are displayed in the following
order: D0-D7, A0-A7, PC, SR.

G [address]    (go)

Executes instructions starting at address. If G is typed on a line by
itself, execution begins at the address indicated by the program counter.

NOTE: If you want to exit to the shell, you just need to type:
  SM 0 A9F4, then G 0

NOTE: If you crash into the debugger and the system hangs, try turning off
your modem.

Actually I just typed in the whole technote and that's all I know about the
debugger. Hope this is helpful for someone.
David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          UUCP address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538
usual disclaimer #432 applies: my employer apologies for the fact
that I have access to this net.

graifer@net1.UCSD.EDU (Dan Graifer) (01/10/87)

Could somebody post the procedure for using the rom debugger to return to the
finder desktop?  I am tired of waiting for my DataFrame to come back after a
crash.  I'm not really a hacker, but I think I can handle this.  Oh, is there
a way to use the debugger to try and un-stick a locked cursor?  I thought I
had saved myself the other day when an application locked up the cursor, but
accepted command-Q to quit, but then couldn't select shutdown from the finder!

Thanks in advance
Dan Graifer
graifer@net1.UCSD.EDU

shulman@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Jeff Shulman) (01/11/87)

You can type  G 40F6D8  which is the address of the ExitToShell trap in the
CURRENT ROM's.  A more ROM independent method it to type
	PC D000
	SM PC A9F4
which says to store the ExitToShell trap at D000 and these execute it (the
Trap Dispatcher computes the correct address to go to.)

What you should also do is use ResEdit (or something else) to put a command
key equivalent (such as Cmd-S) on the Finder's Shutdown menu item.  That
way if the mouse is frozen but the mac is still responding to the keyboard
you can select the Shutdown command.

							Jeff

uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!shulman
arpa:   SHULMAN@RUTGERS
CSNet:	SHULMAN@SLB-DOLL.CSNET
Delphi: JEFFS
GEnie:  KILROY
CIS:    76136,667

jdm@ut-ngp.UUCP (Jim Meiss) (01/14/87)

I've seen several times postings telling you how to get back to the
finder from the ROM Debugger. My question is, what else can the
debugger do? Where is there a list of commands it accepts.

I try various MacsBug commands with no result.....

						Jim Meiss
						jdm@ut-ngp