[comp.sys.mac] Macintalk Answers...

rs4u#@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) (01/07/87)

Macintalk is a resource file that contains a device driver for speech. That's
all it is....

You can get info on Macintalk from Apple, or if you have a friend who gets
the Software Supplement, get it from him/her.

Unfortunately, Macintalk seems to be rather unsupported, because it's been a
year since the last version was released. For you, you can only get a male
voice, English language, with variable speed, pitch, and inflection.

Hope you find the answers you're looking for...

		--Rich

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist) (01/08/87)

>You can get info on Macintalk from Apple, or if you have a friend who gets
>the Software Supplement, get it from him/her.

It also is bundled in with TML Pascal, and MegaMax C;  I'm sure most
other compiler manufacturers license it also.  The typical license
allows personal use but no commercial redistribution;   thus, you should
be able to copy it without worrying about legal hassles from Apple.
(I.e., they seem to encourage as much copying of this and some other
developer's tools as they can afford to without actually losing the
copyright to them.)

Big catch:  "Macintalk must be in the same folder as your application."
It looks like a system file.  Put it in the system folder and your
application will not talk.  Some will warn you that "Macintalk" could
not be found;  others will simply crash.  Put it in the application's
folder.
--
"I'll do it -- I've got the GUTS.  I'm the PRESIDENT."
"Maybe we should take that box away from him."  "Why bother?"

barmar@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Barry Margolin) (01/09/87)

In article <856@uwmacc.UUCP> rick@unix.macc.wisc.edu.UUCP (Rick Keir) writes:
>Big catch:  "Macintalk must be in the same folder as your application."
>It looks like a system file.  Put it in the system folder and your
>application will not talk.  Some will warn you that "Macintalk" could
>not be found;  others will simply crash.  Put it in the application's
>folder.

I've never noticed this restriction.  I admit that I only use a few
speaking applications (Servant, VCS, ExceptionEdit) but they all work
with MacinTalk in the system folder.  And yes, I am using HFS.

Since Macintalk is just a device driver, I can't imagine why it would
be any different from any other device.
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics

jv0l#@andrew.cmu.edu (Justin Chris Vallon) (01/09/87)

ReSent-From: postman#@andrew.cmu.edu

ReSent-To:nntp-xmit#@andrew.cmu.edu

To: outnews#ext.nn.comp.sys.mac@andrew.cmu.edu

writes:
>>Big catch:  "Macintalk must be in the same folder as your application."
>>It looks like a system file.  Put it in the system folder and your
>>application will not talk.  Some will warn you that "Macintalk" could
>>not be found;  others will simply crash.  Put it in the application's
>>folder.
>
>I've never noticed this restriction.  I admit that I only use a few
>speaking applications (Servant, VCS, ExceptionEdit) but they all work
>with MacinTalk in the system folder.  And yes, I am using HFS.
>
>Since Macintalk is just a device driver, I can't imagine why it would
>be any different from any other device.

Macintalk is not a device driver, it is a resource file which contains a
device driver.  This presents a problem to developers who did not think
about the location of the Macintalk file.  When the applications open the
resource file to get the driver out of it, they should use the path

  :system folder:macintalk

if under HFS to enable the application to open the file in the system folder.

Problems arise if the application was written for MFS, since the path would
be:

  macintalk

because there are no subdirectories.  Under HFS, non-prefixed files are
prefixed to the subdirectory that the application was opened in (or the last
subdirectory selected in an FSGetFile dialog).

So, depending on whether the application was written for MFS or HFS, the
application will get confused if placed into the other file system.

--
    Justin Vallon
    jv0l@andrew.cmu.edu

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (01/11/87)

The System Folder works great, at least under HFS.

For compatibility with MFS, HFS includes the "poor man's search path".  If
the file isn't found in the current directory, the folder with Finder
and System will be searched.

This works fine for me for Macintalk, but ironically, seems to fail
sometimes with the Chooser.
--
	Joel West			     MCI Mail: 282-8879
	Western Software Technology, POB 2733, Vista, CA  92083

brian@ut-sally.UUCP (Brian H. Powell) (01/14/87)

> When the applications open the
> resource file to get the driver out of it, they should use the path
>   :system folder:macintalk
> if under HFS to enable the application to open the file in the system folder.
> Problems arise if the application was written for MFS, since the path would
> be:
>   macintalk
>     Justin Vallon     jv0l@andrew.cmu.edu

     Sorry this is behind the times, but I haven't caught up after Christmas.

     People should not get the idea that they should hard code the path
":System Folder:macintalk" into their programs.  The blessed folder isn't
necessarily called "System Folder".  If you really want to look for a file
in the blessed folder, see tech note 67, "Finding the 'Blessed Folder'".
     Seems to me, though, that you can just look for the file "Macintalk".
(i.e., refnum := OpenResFile('MacinTalk');)  I haven't tried it, though.
IM says it calls the File Manager, which should certainly be able to handle
HFS and the PMSP.  This should work under both MFS and HFS.
     If it fails under HFS, you can always try to use the new OpenRFPerm
function.  If that doesn't work, then I'd resort to the method of hunting
for the blessed folder.

Brian H. Powell
		UUCP:	{ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!brian
		ARPA:	brian@sally.UTEXAS.EDU

   _Work_					 _Not Work_
  Department of Computer Sciences		P.O. Box 5899
  Taylor Hall 2.124				Austin, TX 78763-5899
  The University of Texas at Austin		(512) 346-0835
  Austin, TX 78712-1188
  (512) 471-9536