[comp.sys.mac] ChipWits

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (01/16/87)

Here's another reason not to get a ROM upgrade:  ChipWits doesn't
work with the new ROM.  Does anyone have a patch to make it work,
or is it hopeless?

---
Paul DuBois     UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois    |
                ARPA: dubois@easter                               --+--
                      dubois@rhesus                                 |

"Don't we have enough madmen around here already?"
                                 I Samuel 21:15

davej@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Dave Jenner) (01/17/87)

In article <897@uwmacc.UUCP>, dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) writes:

> Here's another reason not to get a ROM upgrade:  ChipWits doesn't
> work with the new ROM.  Does anyone have a patch to make it work,
> or is it hopeless?
>
> ---

Registered owners of ChipWits may return their original disk to
Brain Power and receive a version that runs on the Mac+.  I did,
it works.

--
Dave Jenner                     (206) 543-6182, 543-2888 (Message)
Department of Astronomy, FM-20  BITNET: davej@uwaphast

howard@amdahl.UUCP (Howard C. Simonson) (01/18/87)

In article <897@uwmacc.UUCP> dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) writes:

>Here's another reason not to get a ROM upgrade:  ChipWits doesn't
>work with the new ROM.  Does anyone have a patch to make it work,
>or is it hopeless?

It is not hopeless!!  Chipwits will work under the new ROMs, just strangely.
The way to do it is, make an MFS Ramdisk (or floppy I guess) with a System
and Finder so it will be the Startup disk.  When Chipwits is double clicked,
it will clear the screen and seem to hang.  Clicking the mouse seems to
get it going (don't ask me why).  I have succesfully run Chipwits this way.
Give it a try and let the net know the results, maybe I'm just a unique
case or something. (no cracks please)

--
"Plan for the future because that's where you                Howard C. Simonson
    are going to spend the rest of your life." {hplabs,ihnp4,nsc}!amdahl!howard

[ The disclaimer for this message may be found in my next article ]

mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) (01/20/87)

In article <490@entropy.ms.washington.edu>, davej@entropy.ms.washington.edu (Dave Jenner) writes:
> In article <897@uwmacc.UUCP>, dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) writes:
> >
> > Here's another reason not to get a ROM upgrade:  ChipWits doesn't
> > work with the new ROM.  Does anyone have a patch to make it work,
> > or is it hopeless?
>
> Registered owners of ChipWits may return their original disk to
> Brain Power and receive a version that runs on the Mac+.  I did,
> it works.

> Dave Jenner                     (206) 543-6182, 543-2888 (Message)

  I got a letter indicating that I could get a version of ChipWits which
worked on the Mac+. Unfortunately the cost of doing so was $15 or so.
Where are those patches on the net when we need them?

David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          UUCP address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538
usual disclaimer #432 applies: my employer apologies for the fact
that I have access to this net.

sdh@thumper.UUCP (01/20/87)

> > > Here's another reason not to get a ROM upgrade:  ChipWits doesn't
> > > work with the new ROM.  Does anyone have a patch to make it work,
> > > or is it hopeless?
> >
> > Registered owners of ChipWits may return their original disk to
> > Brain Power and receive a version that runs on the Mac+.  I did,
> > it works.
>
>   I got a letter indicating that I could get a version of ChipWits which
> worked on the Mac+. Unfortunately the cost of doing so was $15 or so.
> Where are those patches on the net when we need them?

The question I have is, are you sure that it is just a case of new ROMs
or is it a case of entire machine.  One of the more common casues of
incompatability is that the program may have the locations of the screen
buffer and alternate screen buffer hard coded into it. This is bad, but not
too hard to repair.   The procedure should then be the same for pathcing
megaroids.  If the problem is not because of hard coded addresses but
"illegal" access to the ROMs, you're up sh*t creek, and will have to go the
'official' route.

In case you've forgotten, here are the patches for megaroids and that ilk:

in FEdit go to the resource fork of the program and do the following:

    Find all:       0007 fd00
    Change to:      000f fd00   ( this is the sound buffer )

    Find all:       0007 a700
    Change to:      000f a700   ( this is the main screen buffer )

    Find all:       0007 2700
    Change to:      000f 2700   ( this is the alternate screen buffer )

    Find:           0007 7c80
    Change to:      000f 7c80   ( used as a disk IO buffer! )

and don't forget to work on a copy of the application and not the original,
lest you goof, or it doesn't work.

Retief of the CDT
bellcore!sdh

harrow@exodus.dec.com (Jeff Harrow, NCSE LKG1-3/F16 DTN=226-7445) (01/20/87)

I beg to differ:  ChipWits DOES indeed work on a Mac Plus:  I used mine
last night.

Jeff