[comp.sys.mac] Screen Helvetica - "improved" font

np@doc.ic.ac.uk (Nigel Perry) (01/12/87)

Screen Helvetica is a modified version of the Helvetica font designed
to look better on the Mac screen. Its for those of you who like printing
on the LW in Helvetica, but don't like the screen version and find using
Geneva + font substitution annoying as Genevas proportions are different.
Screen Helvetica is far from perfect, but it is much more readable than
the original (in my view...). I hope you find it useful.

I've posted the font files to comp.sources.mac (2 parts) in the UK.
If anybody in the rest of the world is interested mail me amd I'll
either post it to you or distribute further. I hope this is ok, but
its 80K and I didn't wan't to throw it around the world without
knowing   if theres a demand.

briand@tekig4.TEK.COM (Brian Diehm) (01/16/87)

In article <392@ivax.doc.ic.ac.uk> np@doc.ic.ac.uk (Nigel Perry) writes:
>Screen Helvetica is a modified version of the Helvetica font designed
>
>I've posted the font files to comp.sources.mac (2 parts) in the UK.

Well, Roger Long probably will tell you it can't be posted since it derives
from work copyrighted by Apple.  I tried to post my version of a 48pt. Los
Angeles; one other person tried to post a 7pt. Monaco to go with UW Windows,
I believe.  Roger, as moderator, said no in both instances.

I think that Roger is being a paranoid moderator, myself.

What do y'all think?

-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.  (SDA - Standard Disclaimers Apply)

gjb@unirot.UUCP (01/26/87)

In article <1217@tekig4.TEK.COM> briand@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Diehm) writes:
>In article <392@ivax.doc.ic.ac.uk> np@doc.ic.ac.uk (Nigel Perry) writes:
>>Screen Helvetica is a modified version of the Helvetica font designed
>>
>>I've posted the font files to comp.sources.mac (2 parts) in the UK.
>
>Well, Roger Long probably will tell you it can't be posted since it derives
>from work copyrighted by Apple.
>What do y'all think?

I asked the original poster to send me the font, and he did. He said
he wouldn't post it in the United States because he wasn't sure what
was legal, and because he didn't want to send the font overseas more
than once. As a result, I believe I am the only person in North
America with a copy of the font. He told two other people to send
mail to me to ask for the font, and asked me to distribute it freely.

Therefore, if everyone thinks it's legal, I'm willing to mail the
font to other people and/or make it available for Arpanet FTP (which
is a lot easier for me).

Incidentally, Screen Helvetica is a really nice font, especially in
the larger point sizes. I'm not sure if the letter spacing matches
the laserwriter Helvetica, however. I'm also not sure if the 12-point
will look OK in high quality mode on an Imagewriter.

			-Greg

-- gbrail@blue.rutgers.edu -- not where I'm posting from, but where
			      the font is.

--
Greg Brail  	(Greg @ The Soup Kitchen)
UUCP : ..{seismo,lll-crg,clyde,etc.}!rutgers!unirot!gjb