[comp.sys.mac] mac parallel output?

dean@mind.UUCP (Dean Radin) (01/19/87)

Does anyone know if there's a device that would let a Mac or Mac+
talk to peripherals requiring centronix (parallel) interfaces?

- Dean Radin, Princeton University, ...!princeton!mind!dean

oster@lapis.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (01/20/87)

You are in luck. The Microsoft Mac-Enhancer, a box that adds standard
RS232-C serial ports and a Centronics parallel port to the macintosh, and
comes with software to drive many printers, has been re-introduced by
SoftStyle (I think) in Hawaii, the people who do LaserStart and EpsonStart
(the laserjet and Epson mx-80 drivers.)

zben@umd5 (Ben Cranston) (01/20/87)

In article <453@mind.UUCP> dean@mind.UUCP (Dean Radin) writes:

> Does anyone know if there's a device that would let a Mac or Mac+
> talk to peripherals requiring centronix (parallel) interfaces?

Yes, as a matter of fact one of those cables I was building for a coworker
was to hook up his Mac+ to a funny serial/parallel box he got that in turn
drove a Centronix interface version of an ancient Apple printer he had from
his Apple ][ days.  The three wire cable worked fine.

When he comes in later today I will get the specifics and Email them to you.

--
                    umd5.UUCP    <= {seismo!mimsy,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben
Ben Cranston zben @ umd2.UMD.EDU    Kingdom of Merryland UniSys 1100/92

ericson@uiucdcsp.UUCP (01/22/87)

[ around  Jan 19, 1987 by oster@lapis.berkeley.edu writes in response
  to a request for parallel output for a Mac: ]
>You are in luck. The Microsoft Mac-Enhancer, a box that adds standard
>RS232-C serial ports and a Centronics parallel port to the macintosh, and
>comes with software to drive many printers, has been re-introduced by
>SoftStyle (I think) in Hawaii, the people who do LaserStart and EpsonStart
>(the laserjet and Epson mx-80 drivers.)

Yeah, but for $245 or so, you could buy another printer, or half of a
REALLY good printer (or maybe even an old CP/M computer to do the
conversion :-).  Is there anyone who knows a more cost-effective
solution?

I though I remembered early in the "128K days" that somone had a small
attachment to the serial port that allowed either parallel or serial
output.  Its size was comparable to a gender changer.  Anyone recall
this?  Are they still made?

Thanks,
Stuart Ericson
{ihnp4,convex,pur-ee}uiucdcs!ericson

zben@umd5.UUCP (01/27/87)

[Re: parallel output for Mac:]
>> ... The Microsoft Mac-Enhancer, a box that adds standard RS232-C serial
>> ports and a Centronics parallel port to the macintosh ...

> Yeah, but for $245 or so, you could buy another printer...
> Is there anyone who knows a more cost-effective solution?

Universal Interface Converter
(Serial RS232C to parallel Centronix 36 pin) $99.
Jonathan Freeman Designs
1067 Delores Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
(415) 822-8451

It's a little bigger than a gender changer, and has one of those icecube
power supplies, but it worked with little messing around.  I have no
connection to this company other than having been asked to make cables
for a co-worker's installation.  Price is probably subject to change
without notice, but it's a bit cheaper than $245...