[comp.sys.mac] C Compilers/Development Systems

postman#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP (01/27/87)

ReSent-To:nntp-xmit#@andrew.cmu.edu
To:outnews#ext.nn.comp.sys.mac@andrew.cmu.edu

I would like to know some information about the various C compilers that
everybody here in Mac-land uses.  I have used C on a Unix VAX, and I have
used Lightspeed Pascal and Aztec C (for maybe an hour at a friend's house).
I was wondering what you thought of the compilers on the market today.  I
think it would be of help to all is you could answer these questions about
your compiler:

What kind of debugging abilities does it have?  Macsbug (low-level)?
Step/Trace (high-level)?
Can it produce 68k source code (to be optimized & assembled at a later date,
if desired)?
Is it compatible with the MDS linker (ie .rel format files)?
Can it use MDS .rel files?
Does it use the Mac-type interface?  ie. windows, textedit
Does it crash often, very occassionally, or never?
Most of all, how do you like it?  What are its features and its limitations?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Justin Vallon
jv0l@@andrew.cmu.edu
"Take off, eh!" - Bob & Doug

coffee@aero.UUCP (01/27/87)

In article <MS.V3.18.jv0l.80020d01.media.ibm032.2915.1@andrew.cmu.edu> jv0l#@andrew.cmu.edu (Justin Chris Vallon) writes:

>I would like to know some information about the various C compilers that
>everybody here in Mac-land uses..

See the February issue of _Computer_Language_ for good discussions of
C for Mac, PC and ST machines. The reviewers' comments on the packages
I'm familiar with were accurate and conveyed the "flavor" of each product
quite well, leading me to trust the others as well.

						Cheers -- Peter C.