[comp.sys.mac] Finder 5.4a2 questions

hunt@rsts32.dec.com (Phil Hunt) (01/12/87)

Hello,

   I just got a copy of the Finder V5.4 Alpha 2 with a new system file.  I
placed it on a floppy and booted it....

   Here is what I saw..

1)  The Get Info stuff window has changed.  I think it looks alot nicer now
but will break comments spacing as it is now 4 shorter lines, rather than
3 long lines.

2)  The File menu has a new option 'Get privileges *P'.  Could this be the
new system in Kernel, User apps in User mode stuff??  If it is, maybe the
Get privs lets user tasks run in kernel mode.  Otherwise, alot of software
will break expecting kernel mode access.  But the nice thing is, in user
mode, you could recover from an application 'crash', as the application can
not mess up much in user mode.

3)  The disk access speed seems quicker.  This is just subjective,  I haven't
used floppies for a long time now (I have a Micah AT-20).

Anyone else have any comments???

Phil Hunt

clubmac@runx.OZ (Sydney University Macintosh Society) (01/17/87)

In article <7488@decwrl.DEC.COM> hunt@rsts32.dec.com (Phil Hunt) writes:
>   I just got a copy of the Finder V5.4 Alpha 2 with a new system file.  I
>placed it on a floppy and booted it....

    I just received Finder 5.4b1 and System 3.3.

>   Here is what I saw..
>
>1)  The Get Info stuff window has changed.  I think it looks alot nicer now
>but will break comments spacing as it is now 4 shorter lines, rather than
>3 long lines.

    It certainly looks *different* - but I like it.

>2)  The File menu has a new option 'Get privileges *P'.  Could this be the
>new system in Kernel, User apps in User mode stuff??  If it is, maybe the
>Get privs lets user tasks run in kernel mode.  Otherwise, alot of software
>will break expecting kernel mode access.  But the nice thing is, in user
>mode, you could recover from an application 'crash', as the application can
>not mess up much in user mode.

    The menu item "Get Privileges *P" is disabled in 5.4b1. My guess is as
    good as yours as to what it does. However, it only appears if the
    current system is 3.3. I tried it with System 3.2 and the menu item
    disappeared entirely.

>3)  The disk access speed seems quicker.  This is just subjective,  I haven't
>used floppies for a long time now (I have a Micah AT-20).

    It certainly is quicker - it returns to the desktop almost twice as fast
    as Finder 5.3. This is on an 800K floppy.

    Until it crashes on me, I'm using it instead of Finder 5.3.

To Apple: Don't you think you could learn a lot from distributing
beta test versions on the net, and getting back a lot of input?
Oh! That's right, Apple steers clear of the net.

clubmac@runx.OZ (Sydney University Macintosh Society) (01/20/87)

A couple of other things discovered about System 3.3 and Finder 5.4b1 :-

1) Looking at the STR# resources in Finder 5.4b1, there are references to
   lognames,groups,privileges, and generally to file server stuff. Judging
   from this, my guess is that Finder 5.4 will allow Macintoshs to share
   Hard Disk storage via AppleTalk, without costing a machine. This would
   account for an increase in size from 53K to 78K.
2) It seems that System 3.3 doesn't allow the use of FKEYs by the normal
   means. I tried command-shift-[1234] and all of them did nothing. Is
   there anyone that might know why this happens?
3) Something silly about Finder 5.4b1 is that it has an animated watchcursor,
   just like Servant. Is there any need for such a thing?

   Jason Haines

t-jacobs@utah-cs.UUCP (01/26/87)

> 2) It seems that System 3.3 doesn't allow the use of FKEYs by the normal
>    means. I tried command-shift-[1234] and all of them did nothing. Is
>    there anyone that might know why this happens?

Word has it that the Mac II keyboard has seperate function keys and would
most likely produce different key codes.

naftoli@aecom.UUCP (01/28/87)

In article <603@runx.OZ>, clubmac@runx.OZ (Sydney University Macintosh Society) writes:
>     The menu item "Get Privileges *P" is disabled in 5.4b1. My guess is as
>     good as yours as to what it does. However, it only appears if the
>     current system is 3.3. I tried it with System 3.2 and the menu item
>     disappeared entirely.

According to Infoworld, "Get Privileges" is to be used for Apple's new
file server product named AppleShare.
--
Robert N. Berlinger
Systems Analyst, Scientific Computing Center		Compuserve: 73047,741