[comp.sys.mac] LaserWriter II fonts

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) (01/21/87)

Doesn't *someone* know the names/numbers of the LaserWriter II fonts?
I asked about them last week.
Zero replies.

I know they exist!  Don't try'n fool me!!

Do I have to go through a secret initiation rite to find out?

---
Paul DuBois     UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois    |
                ARPA: dubois@easter                               --+--
                      dubois@rhesus                                 |

"Don't we have enough madmen around here already?"
                                 I Samuel 21:15

oster@lapis.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (01/21/87)

Name:		Res. ID of Pt. SIze 0
-----		---- -- -- --- ---- -
Avant Garde		4224
Bookman			1792
N Helvetica Narrow	1920
New Century Schlbk	4352
Palatino 		2048
Zapf Chancery		2304
Zaof Dingbats		1664

scott@apple.UUCP (scott douglass) (01/22/87)

The LaserWriter contains the following 4 font families:

Courier, Helvetica, Symbol and Times.

In addition the LaserWriter Plus contains the following 7 font families:
			    ^^^^
Avant Garde, Bookman, Helvetica Narrow, New Century Schoolbook,
Palatino, Zapf Chancery and Zapf Dingbats.

I hope this helps.  Marketing has slightly zingier names (e.g. with the
initials ITC inserted in some places).  An Apple dealer would probably
have some glossy brochure with them in it.
--
				--scott douglass, Apple Computer
CSNet:  scott@Apple.CSNet	UUCP:  {nsc, voder, well, dual}!apple!scott

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (01/23/87)

In article <397@apple.UUCP> scott@apple.UUCP (scott douglass) writes:
>The LaserWriter contains the following 4 font families:
>
>Courier, Helvetica, Symbol and Times.
>

>In addition the LaserWriter Plus contains the following 7 font families:
>			    ^^^^
>Avant Garde, Bookman, Helvetica Narrow, New Century Schoolbook,
>Palatino, Zapf Chancery and Zapf Dingbats.

I have a related question.  What are the font names for all of these in
Postscript?  I can't find that information anywhere (the adobe books, the
laserwriter manual, the manhattan phone book...).  If I want to use Zapf
Chancery in a Postscript program, I need to be able to define the font, but
there seems to be no documentation on what it is.  Of course, I could just
snarf a Postscript program from something like Word output, but the
documentation should really sve me this hassle...

chuq

Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM

It's only a model...

marka@natmlab.dms.oz (Mark Andrews) (01/28/87)

In article <11954@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:

>I have a related question.  What are the font names for all of these in
>Postscript?  I can't find that information anywhere (the adobe books, the
>laserwriter manual, the manhattan phone book...).  If I want to use Zapf
>Chancery in a Postscript program, I need to be able to define the font, but
>there seems to be no documentation on what it is.  Of course, I could just
>snarf a Postscript program from something like Word output, but the
>documentation should really sve me this hassle...
>
>chuq
>
>Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM
>
>It's only a model...

	The following bit of postscript will produce the desired
	response direct to the printer tray. (This should work on a
	LaserWriter, and does work on a LaserWriter Plus).

/Courier findfont 10 scalefont setfont
/x 50 def /y 700 def
/nl {  x /y y 14 sub def y moveto
	/Courier findfont 10 scalefont setfont } def
/buf 80 string def
200 750 moveto
statusdict /product get show
( rev. ) show
statusdict /revision get buf cvs show
( Fonts ) show
x y moveto
FontDirectory
{
	exch dup
	buf cvs show
	exch 230 y moveto
	( ------ ) show
	/FontInfo get /FullName get buf cvs show
	findfont 10 scalefont setfont
	500 y moveto (ABCDE) show
	nl
	} forall
showpage

scott@apple.UUCP (01/29/87)

The PostScript names of the fonts in the LaserWriter:

Courier-Bold
Courier-Oblique
Courier-Bold-Oblique

Helvetica
Helvetica-Bold
Helvetica-Oblique
Helvetica-Bold-Oblique

Symbol

Times-Roman
Times-Bold
Times-Italic
Times-BoldItalic

Additionally the LaserWriter Plus has these fonts:

AvantGarde-Book
AvantGarde-Demi
AvantGarde-BookOblique
AvantGarde-DemiOblique

Bookman-Light
Bookman-Demi
Bookman-LightItalic
Bookman-DemiItalic

Helvetica-Narrow
Helvetica-Narrow-Bold
Helvetica-Narrow-Oblique
Helvetica-Narrow-BoldOblique

NewCenturySchlbk-Roman
NewCenturySchlbk-Italic
NewCenturySchlbk-Bold
NewCenturySchlbk-BoldIItalic

Palatino-Roman
Palatino-Italic
Palatino-Bold
Palatino-BoldItalic

ZapfChancery-MediumItalic

ZapfDingbats

I checked the list over so it is probably correct.  Hope this is helpful.

--
				--scott douglass, Apple Computer
CSNet:  scott@Apple.CSNet	UUCP:  {nsc, voder, well, dual}!apple!scott
AppleLink:  Douglass1
Any opinions above are mine and not necessarily those of Apple Computer.