[comp.sys.mac] Mobile or Taliesin?

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (01/27/87)

Back when Finder 4.1 came out, a font called Taliesin came with it.
This font is numbered 24, and in fact Inside Mac even has a predefined
constant in the Font Manager section "taliesin" with value 24.  When
I got my ROM upgrade + 800K internal drive, a little manual came with
it.  Lo and behold, there is a picture in there with a font called Mobile
being displayed that looks a lot like Taliesin.  ResEdit reveals that
Mobile, too, is font number 24.

So, what is the "real" name of this font?  Why the two name?

---
Paul DuBois     UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois    |
                ARPA: dubois@easter                               --+--
                      dubois@rhesus                                 |

"Don't we have enough madmen around here already?"
                                 I Samuel 21:15

scott@apple.UUCP (01/28/87)

In article <966@uwmacc.UUCP> dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) writes:
>So, what is the "real" name of this font?  Why the two name?

As I understand it Taliesin is the name of Frank Llyod Wright's estate in
New England.  The font in question has many symbols that are conceivably useful
for architectural layout drawings.  I believe that the font first shipped with
MacDraw.  The story goes that Mr. Wright's estate
was not pleased at the use of the name and asked Apple to change it.  Why
Mobile was chosen as the new name I don't know.

None of the above is necessarily correct.  None of the above is the
official position of Apple Computer.
--
				--scott douglass, Apple Computer
CSNet:  scott@Apple.CSNet	UUCP:  {nsc, voder, well, dual}!apple!scott

myers@uwmacc.UUCP (01/30/87)

In article <423@apple.UUCP>, scott@apple.UUCP (scott douglass) writes:
> As I understand it Taliesin is the name of Frank Llyod Wright's estate in
> New England.
>
> None of the above is necessarily correct.  None of the above is the
> official position of Apple Computer.

Good thing that you put in the caveat at the end!  Taliesin is in south-
central Wisconsin.  Beautiful area out there, and Taliesin is really a
combination farm and architecture school.

Jeff Myers

eby@phoenix.UUCP (01/31/87)

>In article <423@apple.UUCP> scott@apple.UUCP (scott douglass) writes:
>>In article <966@uwmacc.UUCP> dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) writes:
>>>So, what is the "real" name of this font?  Why the two name?
>>
>>As I understand it Taliesin is the name of Frank Llyod Wright's estate in
>>New England.  The font in question has many symbols that are conceivably
>>useful for architectural layout drawings. ...

Taliesin is the name of Frank Lloyd Wright's home in Spring Green, Wisconsin.
There is also a "Taliesin West" near Phoenix.
--
Robert P. Eby / AT&T Information Systems Laboratories / pegasus!eby

oster@lapis.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (02/01/87)

"Taliesin" was the name of a great bard in Welsh mythology. The estate of
Frank Lloyd Wright no more owns the name than I can lay claim to the names
"Zeus" or "Hercules". Apple is just knuckling under to avoid a legal battle
over a comparatively trivial point.