[comp.sys.mac] TeX Question

notes@ucf-cs.UUCP (02/03/87)

I have just installed TeX on the 780 and tried to use the previewer
that was distributed recently.  The question: How does one download
the .dvi file from the 780 to the mac for previewing?  I transferred
a test file using macput, but the previewer didn't recognize it.
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony Becker			Phone: 305-275-2699
Dept. of Computer Science
University of Central Florida
Orlando, FL  32816		uucp: {ihnp4!decvax,peora}!ucf.edu!tony

mrh@Shasta.UUCP (02/04/87)

In article <172@ucf-cs.UUCP>, tony@ucf-cs.UUCP writes:

> I have just installed TeX on the 780 and tried to use the previewer
> that was distributed recently.  The question: How does one download
> the .dvi file from the 780 to the mac for previewing?  I transferred
> a test file using macput, but the previewer didn't recognize it.
> Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Tony Becker			Phone: 305-275-2699
   The first thing you need to do when downloading a binary file to the Mac
is to change the file's creator and type to the appropriate type for the a
application. I don't know what it is for the application you want to use it
with but by using one of the many setfile type tools (DISKTOP is a nice one!)
you can look at the type and creator for one of the documents which already
works with the program and change your type and creator accordingly.
   A more serious problem however is that at least one of the TeX previewersf
floating around these days is a DEMO version which cannot read TeX documents
other than the ones which come with it. You may be running into that problem.
If you get it to work, then I'd like to hear about it since I haven't yet
seen a stand alone TeX preview which is in the public domain or shareware
AND WORKS on arbitrary DVI files.
David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          UUCP address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538
usual disclaimer #432 applies: my employer apologizes for the fact
that I have access to this net.