[comp.sys.mac] Wanted: e-mail for macs on an AppleTalk network

robert@weitek.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (01/19/87)

A department at weitek (which will remain nameless) has a bunch of
macintoshes connected with an appletalk network.  They want to be
able to use electronic mail among themselves, and are looking for
software that will do it.

Is there hope?

	-- Robert
--
	Robert Plamondon
	UUCP: {pyramid,turtlevax, cae780}!weitek!robert

tim@hoptoad.UUCP (02/03/87)

Have you looked into InBox from Think Technologies?  It seems to have the
best potential for future growth into real, inter-OS, long-range electronic
mail, and it works on Macs and PCs now.
--
Tim Maroney, Electronic Village Idiot
{ihnp4,sun,well,ptsfa,lll-crg,frog}!hoptoad!tim (uucp)

Second Coming Still Vaporware After 2,000 Years

ln63wzb@sdcc7.UUCP (02/04/87)

In article <1713@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:
>Have you looked into InBox from Think Technologies?  It seems to have the
>best potential for future growth [...] and it works on Macs and PCs now.

And Apple has made heavy use of InBox internally, so it's a
reasonable expectation that it will work harmoniously with any
future developments from Cupertino.

Grobbins
ln63wzb@sdcc7.ucsd.edu

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (02/04/87)

In article <1713@hoptoad.uucp>, tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) writes:
> Have you looked into InBox from Think Technologies?  It seems to have the
> best potential for future growth into real, inter-OS, long-range electronic
> mail, and it works on Macs and PCs now.
> --
> Tim Maroney, Electronic Village Idiot

Annoyances of InBox:
a)  Requires a dedicated server.
b)  Requires everybody to have the same version of System (and Finder?).

I have a demo version of InterMail, an e-mail system for Macintoshes on
AppleTalk.  It looks pretty good, doesn't require a dedicated Mac, and seems
be pretty flexible as to what it's installed on.  I can't think of anything
that InBox does that InterMail doesn't, for the Macintosh.  Admittedly, it
doesn't exist on PCs yet.

For those of you who are curious, the Demo version of InterMail does most
of what the real InterMail is supposed to do, except it doesn't transmit
pictures, the reminder facility is disabled,  and is limitted to storing only
six messages in the mail box.  I haven't tested the latter (a salesman said
that it would only store six messages, but he also said it wouldn't print and
he was wrong about that, so...)  It also supports multiple zones, and I'm not
sure if InBox does yet.

The only problems I've seen is that it sometimes is bad about telling you when
you actually have received mail.

Looks funky.  I'm not sure of it's status, but if people are interested, I'll
post it to net.sources.mac.
--
"I know that I should be running..."                   Peter Merchant
                                                       merchant@dartvax.UUCP

t-jacobs@utah-cs.UUCP (02/04/87)

In article <867@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU>, ln63wzb@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (Grobbins) writes:
> In article <1713@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:
> >Have you looked into InBox from Think Technologies?  It seems to have the
> >best potential for future growth [...] and it works on Macs and PCs now.
>
> And Apple has made heavy use of InBox internally, so it's a
> reasonable expectation that it will work harmoniously with any
> future developments from Cupertino.

InBox is very heavy on the memory usage department.  Whatever you do don't buy
InBox until you check out Intermail by Internet. 617-863-5590.  They have
a wonderful system which allows for expansion.  They plan on being able to
interface their system with mainframe systems.  They also are comming out with
a way to send mail over the phone lines via a modem server.  It also very fast
comparied to InBox and TopMail.

t-jacobs@utah-cs.UUCP (02/05/87)

> In article <4263@utah-cs.UUCP>, t-jacobs@utah-cs.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) writes:
> > InBox until you check out Intermail by Internet. 617-863-5590.  They have

OOPS! I got the phone number from the latest Buyers Guide and Thinks
number was right above Internets.  I glanced at the wrong one!!! Sorry!

Internet: 617-965-5239
Think:    617-863-5590

slf@well.UUCP (02/06/87)

Intermail doesn't exist on PCs yet...''

But it will.  The company announced that at Seybold at the end of January.