[comp.sys.mac] Apple Payoff Blacklist Requested/Look and Feel of the 8010

ted@imsvax.UUCP (01/25/87)

               America is  becoming a lawless land, both in the streets and
          in the boardrooms and courtrooms.   Our legal  systems were never
          designed to  handle the  sheer volumn  of bullshit which they are
          having to deal with now and are simply no longer working.  On the
          streets, it  has reached the point at which, in order to actually
          get put in prison,  one  must  be  a  mother-raper  AND  a father
          stabber and then be on a waiting list for six or seven years, the
          decision the judge has to make being:

               "Is this dude bad enough for me to  want to  throw someone I
               KNOW is bad OUT of prison in order to make room for HIM?"

          rather than simply:

               "Is this  dude bad  enough for  me to  want to  throw him in
               prison?"

          as it used to be.

               On the  other side  of the  tracks, we  are seeing companies
          which obviously  and pitifully  lack the brains or talent to make
          it in  the  open  market  trying  to  make  their  living  in the
          courtroom, and  the worst  offender is Apple Corp., the erstwhile
          hippie commune which supposedly  had  made  it  to  the big-time.
          Those  people  obviously  see  the  law  as  a tool for the rich,
          whereby, like the trolls of legend  which infested  bridges, they
          can  earn  their  living  by  laying  claim  to  such  things  as
          techniques  for  walking  and   breathing,  driving  automobiles,
          programming  visual  effects  similar  to those of the Xerox 8010
          Star ( which Xerox, an honest company, has never fought  over the
          "look and  feel" of) etc., and charging the general public, or at
          least all such as use small computers, thereby.

               It is easy to see how Apple has come to  such a  pass.  When
          IBM  went   the  wrong  way  (with  Intel  rather  than  Motorola
          microchips), Apple was the one company in a position to challenge
          them by  actually doing  something with the 68000.  What they did
          was to produce two  machines  which  were  so  pitiful  that they
          convinced much of the world that the 68000 itself was a bad idea:
          a $10,000 machine which looked like  a  1946  TV  set  with  a 5"
          screen  (Lisa)  and  a  $3000  machine  which resembles a toaster
          (Mac).       Both   of   those   machines   are   totally  closed
          architecturally, both  are black and white only, both use up most
          of the 68000's compute power dealing  with screen  graphics, both
          have toy  rather than  real keyboards,  both come with one (slow)
          floppy disk, neither has any capabilities for expansion vis-a-vis
          color  monitors,  fpu's  etc.    Were  it  not  for the 8010 Star
          interface, which  Apple flagrantly  pirated from  Xerox Parc, the
          Mac probably  could not  be sold  even to  the most primitive and
          backwards peoples on earth.

               I personally am bothered by the  DRI affair,  which I regard
          as  totally  lawless  behavior  on  Apple's  part,  as well as by
          articles I have been reading in Info-World lately.  Apple  is now
          claiming rights  to any enhancements to the basic "look and feel"
          of the Mac interface created by  third party  software developers
          as well as launching new campaigns to prevent the "look and feel"
          of  the  mac  being  ported  to   other  architectures.     I  am
          particularly bothered  by the  idea that  any money which I might
          spend  on  software  might  end  up  in  the   coffers  of  these
          desperados.   I intend,  therefore, to  avoid purchasing software
          for which any kind of tribute  has  been  paid  to  Apple  by the
          developers or marketers.

               I would appreciate it if someone could compile and publish a
          list of software for which any form of compensation has been paid
          to Apple.  The latest report I've seen is that something like 150
          companies are involved in developing 8010  Star-like software and
          it figures to be a little bit hard to keep track of.

          Ted Holden,
          IMS

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (01/26/87)

ha! ha! ha!
You were kidding, right? I mean no one would be stupid enough to violently
flame apple without knowing the facts, right? Like the fact that Xerox at
one time owned a large portion of apple stock and was thinking of buying more?
Like the fact that some of the people who developed the original Lisa
interface at one time worked on the Xerox Parc project?
No one would be that much of a blazing idiot, right?
Mellowout.
  Pierce Wetter

P.S. If you are so hung up about finding someone to be angry with why
don't you yell at addison wesley. They're charging $600 a copy for the
mac version of TeX, a public domain program. No site lisencing either.
 Smooth guys real smooth. To be fair, it isn't really AW's fault they're
only distributing it, it the programs authors who put on the limitations.

Manual, n.:
	A unit of documentation.  There are always three or more on a
given item.  One is on the shelf; someone has the others.  The
information you need in in the others.
		-- Ray Simard

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu

sarrel@osu-eddie.UUCP (01/27/87)

Boy, are you gonna get it.  Batten down the hatches, stow the sails and be
prepared to be bent, folded, spindled and mutilated!  (please forgive the
use of the IBM (ugh!) terminology).  First, I would agree with you on the
general state of out legal system, but that is not the point here.

I do not think (as you seem to) that the only measure of a computer's power
(read usefulness) is its ability to crunch numbers.  Therefore, I do not
think it is a waste of cycles for the Mac to do its graphic interface.  In
fact, I think it's one of the best uses to which a computer's time has
ever been put.  There will soon be (already is) a way to add the 68881
(is that c`the correct number) fp processor.  TML Pascal is going to
support it in thier next version.  If you really want to crunch numbers,
don't make any changes to the screen!  It takes up very little time
to display the watch cursor while the machine crunches.

The Mac is not perfect.  However, most of these imperfections are due to
the fact that people are using the Mac in ways for which it was not origionally
designed or which Apple did not anticipate.  But it is good that people
are using it in those ways, it forces Apple to enhance the Mac.

I could go on.  But, I'm afraid I've already said too much.  I am a firm
believer in the proverb:

   "Never argue with a fool, others may not be able to tell the difference."

Give me a Mac, or give me death (IBM PC)!
--
Marc Sarrel
CIS Gradual Student			611 Harley Dr. #1

dennis@uw-warp.UUCP (01/29/87)

In article <1600@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) writes:
> ha! ha! ha!
> P.S. If you are so hung up about finding someone to be angry with why
> don't you yell at addison wesley. They're charging $600 a copy for the
> mac version of TeX, a public domain program. No site lisencing either.
>  Smooth guys real smooth. To be fair, it isn't really AW's fault they're
> only distributing it, it the programs authors who put on the limitations.

I don't think TeX is public domain.  And I don't think there are
multiple authors, at least not for the single program "TeX," which was
written by Donald E. Knuth.  Even TeX were public domain, the part of
TeX that Addison-Wesley is charging for is NOT the public domain part.
In fact, as far as I can tell, the TeX source code (tex.web) is
copyrighted by Donald E. Knuth, and has some rather explicit but very
reasonable limitations on who may copy it.  The part that AW is
(reasonably or not) charging for is the task of porting TeX to the
Mac, and for distributing it (which does cost something, but nothing
like $600).

In any case, you are free to not pay AW $600, and do your own port
to the Mac.  I will even send you a copy of TEX.WEB and other TEX
sources if you will cover my costs of doing so (say, $30 for a 9-track
tape).  TeX is not an easy program to cram onto a micro.  By the way,
I believe AW does offer site licensing for the PC, since the University
of Washington has a PC TeX site license.

Dennis.
--

uucp:  {decvax|ihnp4|...}uw-beaver!uw-nsr!uw-warp!dennis
arpa:  uw-nsr!uw-warp!dennis@beaver.cs.washington.edu

cpc@vaxine.UUCP (01/29/87)

> ha! ha! ha!
> You were kidding, right? I mean no one would be stupid enough to violently
> flame apple without knowing the facts, right? Like the fact that Xerox at
> one time owned a large portion of apple stock and was thinking of buying more?
> Like the fact that some of the people who developed the original Lisa
> interface at one time worked on the Xerox Parc project?

Who cares about who used to own whom, or who worked for whom?  Employees give
up all their patent/copyright rights to their employees anyway.  The (valid)
point is that apple is trying to own something that wasn't their idea, and
to own enhancements of that thing they didn't create.  That's just not
right, and I believe the patent law also says that enhancements are not
automatically the right of the original owner.  The problem is that apple
can bludgeon smaller companies into submission just to avoid the legal costs.
You don't have to have a legal leg to stand on to sue somebody.  So take your
own advice:

> Mellowout.

> P.S. If you are so hung up about finding someone to be angry with why
> don't you yell at addison wesley. They're charging $600 a copy for the

So add them to the list.  How does that let apple off the hook?

Let's really solve the problem: take every third lawyer out against a wall
and shoot him/her. :-)

Chris Cullen                UUCP: {ucbvax!allegra,decvax}!encore!vaxine!cpc
Automatix, Inc.             Phone: 617-667-7900 x2066
1000 Technology Park Dr.
Billerica, Mass. 01821

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (01/31/87)

In article <653@uw-warp.UUCP> dennis@uw-warp.UUCP (Dennis Gentry) writes:
>In article <1600@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) writes:
>> P.S. If you are so hung up about finding someone to be angry with why
>> don't you yell at addison wesley. They're charging $600 a copy for the
>> mac version of TeX, a public domain program. No site lisencing either.
>>  Smooth guys real smooth. To be fair, it isn't really AW's fault they're
>> only distributing it, it the programs authors who put on the limitations.
>
>I don't think TeX is public domain.  And I don't think there are
>multiple authors, at least not for the single program "TeX," which was
>written by Donald E. Knuth.  Even TeX were public domain, the part of
>TeX that Addison-Wesley is charging for is NOT the public domain part.
    What I really mean is that TeX is not a program they have to pay a license
fee, _and_ port. Additionally when I say authors I mean the authors of TeXtures
which is a combonation TeX Preview, and TeX formatter.

>In any case, you are free to not pay AW $600, and do your own port
>to the Mac.  I will even send you a copy of TEX.WEB and other TEX
>sources if you will cover my costs of doing so (say, $30 for a 9-track
>tape).  TeX is not an easy program to cram onto a micro.  By the way,
>I believe AW does offer site licensing for the PC, since the University
>of Washington has a PC TeX site license.
  I'm not the person paying $600 Caltech is. We have $5000 to spend on software
but the administration had a policy of providing TeX on all of its computers.
This means the high cost of TeX is pushing out other software. Arrgh. AW does
have site licensing for MicroTeX on the PC but not for the Mac version. ARRGH.
   Now you understand my point of view. (By the way no thanks on the port, I
have to do at caltech just as far as classes go.)

Pierce Wetter.

have enought

	VIRGO (Aug 23 - Sept 22)
You are the logical type and hate disorder.  This nitpicking is
sickening to your friends.  You are cold and unemotional and sometimes
fall asleep while making love.  Virgos make good bus drivers.

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu

yvo@ut-sally.UUCP (02/01/87)

>>> don't you yell at addison wesley. They're charging $600 a copy for the
>>> mac version of TeX, a public domain program. No site lisencing either.

>This means the high cost of TeX is pushing out other software. Arrgh. AW does
>have site licensing for MicroTeX on the PC but not for the Mac version. ARRGH.

Well, I don't know where you all get your info, but I happen to know that
Addison-Wesley is working on getting the University of Texas to buy a site
license for Textures.  I got that info from a representative of Addison-Wesley
who is actively pursuing this.

straka@ihlpf.UUCP (02/02/87)

> > Mellowout.
>
> Let's really solve the problem: take every third lawyer out against a wall
> and shoot him/her. :-)

> Let's really solve the problem: take every third lawyer out against a wall
                                                  ^H^H^H^H^H
                                             other!
Sorry, I couldn't help it!

--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

socha@drivax.UUCP (02/02/87)

> Let's really solve the problem: take every third lawyer out against a wall
> and shoot him/her. :-)

Or simply, make it economically disadvantageous for people to become lawyers
while at the same time do the opposite for them becoming Engineers.
-------
"Lawyers exist to divide the pie, Engineers to make it bigger!"
Approximate Engineer/Lawyer ratios:   USA 1:400 & Japan 400:1  Explains a LOT!
-------
--
UUCP:...!amdahl!drivax!socha                                      WAT Iron'75
"Everything should be made as simple as possible but not simpler."  A. Einstein

rupp@cod.UUCP (02/02/87)

---------
There are various ways to look at the Apple/Gem affair.  Yes, Xerox
did originate (I guess) the windowing user interface.  Yes, Apple then
took the idea and did something with it.  And yes, Apple did threaten
the creators of GEM (my mind blanks at the moment, can't remember
the name, SRI maybe?).  I do not like the idea of copyrighting the 'look
and feel' of something, but this whole area of what can and cannot be
copyrighted in software is a new and tricky  branch of law.

It might be well to remember that although Xerox had it first, Apple
was the company that made the windowing user interface an important
part of microcomputing.  That is a not-inconsiderable contribution.   No
company, or person, for that matter, is perfect.  Apple Computer has it
faults, but also its positive accomplishments.  Let's try to keep some
perspective.

herbw@midas.UUCP (02/03/87)

--------

As I recall, the "Apple/GEM affair" related to an Apple Patent (Number 4,464,652,
issued August 7, 1984), which DRI was infringing by using a one button mouse and

pull down menues.  DRI agreed to change the interface so that it no longer
infringed on this patent.  Note that XEROX used a three button mouse and
pop up menues, so the claims of the Apple patent were *not* based on work done
by XEROX.  Having read this patent, I *personally* believe that Apple's actions
were reasonable in *this* case.  I *personally* believe that the recent "Look
and Feel" Copyright decisions are *not* realistic.  Copyrights and Patents
do (and should) offer different forms of protection for intellectual property.

                                  -- Herb Weiner (...tektronix!midas!herbw)

holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) (02/04/87)

In article <481@cod.UUCP> rupp@cod.nosc.mil.UUCP (William L. Rupp) writes:
<  And yes, Apple did threaten
<the creators of GEM (my mind blanks at the moment, can't remember
<the name, SRI maybe?).

Yes, it was we here at SRI, and we were quite upset about it, especially
since DRI was getting all the credit.
--
....!ucbvax!hplabs!amdahl!drivax!holloway
My balogna has a first name, it's Jimbob. My balogna has a second name, it's

zhahai@gaia.UUCP (02/05/87)

In article <481@cod.UUCP> rupp@cod.nosc.mil.UUCP (William L. Rupp) writes:
>There are various ways to look at the Apple/Gem affair.  Yes, Xerox
>did originate (I guess) the windowing user interface.  Yes, Apple then
>took the idea and did something with it.  And yes, Apple did threaten
>the creators of GEM (my mind blanks at the moment, can't remember
>the name, SRI maybe?).  I do not like the idea of copyrighting the 'look
>and feel' of something, but this whole area of what can and cannot be
>copyrighted in software is a new and tricky  branch of law.

Actually, Xerox was a major but not the only innovator in the area of bit
mapped, windowing user interfaces.  Stanford Research Institute (SRI) was
another, perhaps even earlier.  Seems to me I recall that some of the
lisp folks were doing impressive things with that paradigm too, before
Apple came out with the Lisa.  (I was working on such a product too,
pre-Lisa but post Alto.  Never really came out in quantity :-).  GEM was
a post Mac product by Digital Research Inc (DRI) of CP/M fame.

There are many ways of setting up a windowing interface; Xerox alone had
several.  Apple came up with one scheme for the Lisa and then Mac.  It
was conceptually a derivative of the earlier work (particularly Xerox),
but it was their own formulation and set of tradeoffs.  Not a bad one,
though the "best" paradigm is a matter of religion.  They deserve credit
for their exact formulation (and blame).  The general ideas were not theirs
first, however.  Apple also deserves credit for cheapening the entry price,
especially with the Mac, which was by far the cheapest system with that
style of interface.

>It might be well to remember that although Xerox had it first, Apple
>was the company that made the windowing user interface an important
>part of microcomputing.  That is a not-inconsiderable contribution.   No
>company, or person, for that matter, is perfect.  Apple Computer has it
>faults, but also its positive accomplishments.  Let's try to keep some
>perspective.

The major way they deserve reward for this is through people buying their
product because it is inherently decent (in the purchasers mind), or because
of the lead in software designed for it.  To the degree that they need to
lock out competitors with better or cheaper products, they probably hurt us
all; this may be justified for their innovations, but is damaging to the
degree that they attempt to appropriate concepts they did not create, or
which are natural or obvious.  I am not sure yet just how broad their claim
really is; probably as broad as their legal budget allows, which may be
braoder than their actual creativity warrants.

Look and feel copyrights are going to mess up the industry a good deal,
I suspect.  Sad.  We shall see.              ~z~

--
Zhahai Stewart
{hao | nbires}!gaia!zhahai

neves@uwai.UUCP (02/05/87)

A couple of words about "look and feel" copyright.

Apple is not claiming that any window system is going to infringe on
their creation.  Instead they do not want some other company copy
the exact MacIntosh interface that Apple spent big bucks developing.
This is just what any company would do with a product that is copied
too closely -- whether it be doll clones, or software clones.   Window
systems are still in their infancy.  There are lots of alternatives, so
there is no need to copy everything from someone else.  Maybe if the
courts prevent copying some of these companies will come up with
better interface ideas.

Another part of the problem is that the clone maker is trying to fool
the public that their product works exactly the same as the original.
A company should have the ability to protect itself and the public
from this.  One method is to call the product/company with a similar
name (how many phone related companies have 3 letters and end in "TT"
-- ATT, QTT, ITT).  This is why Apple protects Apple, Mac, etc. and
names that might be confused with those names (such as related fruits,
or sound alike names).  You might think that it is silly to expect
that people could confuse PINECONE and APPLE.  They might not, but
they would view PINECONE in a better light because of the name
similarity to APPLE (I am sure there have been Psych experiments
showing this).

Conclusion:

Quit the flaming at Apple for trying to prevent copying of its
product.  No company has to spent millions on something and then give
it away.  If you own a billion dollar company and think that Apple is
doing something wrong then I would be interested in hearing more
details.

There is no need to respond to this as this topic has already gotten
pretty boring.

In article <279@gaia.UUCP> zhahai@gaia.UUCP (Zhahai Stewart) writes:
>The major way they deserve reward for this is through people buying their
>product because it is inherently decent (in the purchasers mind), or because
>of the lead in software designed for it.  To the degree that they need to
>lock out competitors with better or cheaper products, they probably hurt us
>all; this may be justified for their innovations, but is damaging to the
>degree that they attempt to appropriate concepts they did not create, or
>which are natural or obvious.
>
>Look and feel copyrights are going to mess up the industry a good deal,
>I suspect.  Sad.  We shall see.              ~z~
I don't agree with this.  IBM has seen rampant copying of its PC
product.  It has meant lower prices now because of all the clones.  It
has also meant that the originator of the machine (IBM) is losing
market share and will have to abandon the standard to regain it.  The
people who are going to get messed up are those who will be abandoned.

A product introduction lead time of several months is not enough to
guarantee profit.  There are many leaks in industry and it just
doesn't take that long to crank out a hardware or software clone of
something.   Those PC-AT clones came out very quickly after the IBM
introduction of the machine.

--
David Neves, Computer Sciences Department, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Usenet:  {allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!neves

gervers@utcs.UUCP (02/07/87)

Apples stinks, II sucks, IIc sucks, IIe sucks, III sucks.
Lisa was ok but over-over-overpriced (may it rest in peace),
Mac sucks and was over-overpriced, also very hostile to
programmers who want to be different.

I propose we move this senseless discussion about fruit companies
out of this group.

Note this group is concerned about micros, which happened to be
made originally by ibm.

NO FLAMES.  I ate a dragon for breakfast.

gervers@utcs