[comp.sys.mac] Emacs

zen@utcs.UUCP (02/07/87)

	Does anybody have the docs for the Emacs program posted to the
net earlier this week. This site never seemed to get any(assuming of course
there are some).

		Nick
--
	Nick Zentena

	zen@utcs {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}

	I don't need no stinking signature

earleh@dartvax.UUCP (02/08/87)

In article <1987Feb6.173728.24814@utcs.uucp>, zen@utcs.UUCP writes:
> 	Does anybody have the docs for the Emacs program posted to the
> net earlier this week. This site never seemed to get any(assuming of course
> there are some).
>
> 		Nick

Nick,

     I got your letter, but the mailer program here couldn't "find"
utcs (?).  Anyway, I didn't post the manual because the program's
author, Dan Lawrence, has released v3.8 of microemacs, and it is sure
to appear in mod.sources sooner or later, doubtless with improved
documentation.  I also didn't think another posting of an emacs manual
was really necessary, unless the particular executable contained great
differences (this one doesn't) from other emacs derivatives.

     Here are some suggested ways of getting an emacs manual:

     a)  Do you get mod.sources?  If so, get the recent JOVE
         distribution, unshar it, get the docs.  They are excellent.

     b)  Does your UNIX machine have GNU?  If so, invoke the editor,
         then type "^Ht".  GNU then gives you a tutorial which you
         can edit, save, or whatever.

     c)  ESC-x "describe-bindings"  The escape key is defined to be
         back-quote in this program.  A list of key bindings is enough
         for some.

     d)  (This is a drastic step.)  Write to UniPress Software, Inc.
         1164 Raritan Ave. Highland Park, NJ 08904 for the UniPress/
         Gosling emacs manual.

     The only thing really different about Dan Lawrence's emacs (v3.7)
is the means by which numbered macros are defined, and the header to
the first part of the executable contained an example. (You didn't
throw away the header, did you?)  I don't mean to sound flip, but if
you have access to a machine running UNIX, then you could probably
manage to find/print about a half-dozen emacs manuals in a few minutes
digging around in "/usr".

     By the way, I've abandoned this project.  I got the sources to
JOVE and I plan to port it to the Mac (don't hold your breath, it's
big).  Maybe microEMACS v3.8 comes with a Mac executable?

Earle