[comp.sys.mac] New Finder and System on CompuServe

naftoli@aecom.UUCP (01/30/87)

Finder 5.4 and System 3.3 have been officially released and are available
on CompuServe's Macintosh User and Developer forums (dl8 on macdev).  The
outwardly noticeable features are a new Chooser (much nicer though seemed
as slow or slower than the previous one), a new DA called "Access Privileges"
and a new menu selection "Get Privileges" which are useful only with Apple's
forthcoming AppleShare file server (incidentally, neither of these features
showed on disks that I upgraded using the provided installer script... does
the Finder actually check to see if "Access Privileges" DA is installed and
only then put up the "Get Privileges" menu selection? How would it identify it?

Also, "Clean Up" has been revamped.  In the normal case, it now says "Clean
Up Window."  If you select something first it says "Clean Up Selection" and
will only clean up what you have selected.  If you hold the option key down,
it only says "Clean Up."

The trash can now becomes bloated if there is something in it.  A nice
visual touch, if not a bit whimsical.

And, a comma was added to 1024K in the "About Finder."

Lastly, the much advertised new "Get Info" is quite nice.

Did I miss anything?
--
Robert N. Berlinger
Systems Analyst, Scientific Computing Center		Compuserve: 73047,741

wbell@utcs.UUCP (02/01/87)

Distribution:na

I logged on to Compuserve this afternoon, after reading here about the
new System, etc, and couldn't find any sign of it.
I looked in DL8 in MacDev, and the latest thing was a version of
ResEdit from Dec86.

Are we talking about the same Compuserve?

btw, any idea if the dealers have the new System yet?
--
----
University of Toronto Computing Services	       Warren Bell

"Eh? Doctor *WHO*?? What are you talking about..?"
     -Doctor Who (William Hartnell), "An Unearthly Child" (episode 1, 1963)

naftoli@aecom.UUCP (Robert N. Berlinger) (02/01/87)

The new System and Finder were recalled from CompuServe.  The following
message was posted by Neil Shapiro:

	#: 107751 S0/SIG Business 30-Jan-87 12:18:30
	Sb: SYSTEM AND FINDER
	Fm: Neil Shapiro/Chief Sysop 76703,401
	To: ALL (PLEASE READ)
	Please note that I have removed from our databases the
	System 3.3 and Finder 5.4 files that were uploaded here.  As it
	turns out these files were not supposed to be distributed and we
	received them through an error.  Apple has requested that we
	delete the files and we have, of course, complied.  Apple tells us
	that there is nothing wrong with the files (so you need not
	have fear of using them if you have them) but that they have even
	more improved versions in the works and want those to be the ones
	that get widely distributed.  I was told that we can expect these
	newer versions in about six weeks.  I regret the inconvenience that
	this may have caused anyone and apologize.

	Thanks,

	-- Neil Shapiro
	   Chief Sysop
--

benn@sphinx.UUCP (02/09/87)

 (Warren Bell) writes:

>I logged on to Compuserve this afternoon, after reading here about the
>new System, etc, and couldn't find any sign of it.
>I looked in DL8 in MacDev, and the latest thing was a version of
>ResEdit from Dec86.

Why did you look only there?

>Are we talking about the same Compuserve?

CompuServe is BIG, fella.  Best thing to do is go into each of the THREE
[or is it four?] MAC areas and read [B]ulletins on DL [Data Libraries].
That gives you a quick index, in reverse chron. order, of all new files.
Great for finding things like that.  If I can find it I'll post its
location.

>University of Toronto Computing Services	       Warren Bell
>UUCP: {cbosgd,ihnp4,utai,utcsri,utzoo}!utcs!wbell

-= Thomas Cox =-
CompuServe: 76317,3121
...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!benn
 "There are people who have a need to feel superior to others.
    But me, I'm above that."