[comp.sys.mac] How do you scale a picture equally in X and Y in MacDraw or Word?

terry@onfcanim.UUCP (02/09/87)

In MacDraw it is possible to stretch a picture vertically and/or horizontally
by selecting it and then using the mouse to drag the side or corner of
a bounding rectangle.  A similar operation exists for re-sizing pictures
in Word.

Is there a way to do this in either application so as preserve the aspect
ratio of the picture, that is, so that the scale factor is constrained
to be equal vertically and horizontally?  (I've checked the manual.)

Thanks in advance.

Terry Higgins  {watmath,musocs,micomvax}!onfcanim!terry

dgold@apple.UUCP (02/10/87)

In article <15205@onfcanim.UUCP> terry@onfcanim.UUCP (Terry Higgins) writes:
>In MacDraw it is possible to stretch a picture vertically and/or horizontally
>Is there a way to do this in either application so as preserve the aspect
>ratio of the picture, that is, so that the scale factor is constrained
>to be equal vertically and horizontally?  (I've checked the manual.)

In MacDraw, if you hold down the shift key AFTER mousing down on a handle
on an object, it will retain its proportions as you resize it.

--
David Goldsmith
Apple Computer, Inc.

AppleLink: GOLDSMITH1
UUCP:  {nsc,dual,sun,voder,ucbvax!mtxinu}!apple!dgold
CSNET: dgold@apple.CSNET, dgold%apple@CSNET-RELAY

oster@lapis.berkeley.edu.UUCP (02/11/87)

Precise scaling in macdraw:
1.) Turn grid on.
2.) draw a square larger than the subpicture you want to change over the
subpicture, so it entirely covers it.
3.) drag the mouse to sweep out the square, and therefore what the square
covers.
4.) Select group. This attaches the subpicture to the square.
5.) Resize the square along its diagonal.
6.) ungroup
7.) destroy the square.

Your subpicture is now resized, but the X and Y ratio has been preserved.
(This trick was taught to me by Fred Reif.)
--- David Phillip Oster		-- "We live in a Global Village."
Arpa: oster@lapis.berkeley.edu  --
Uucp: ucbvax!ucblapis!oster     -- "You are Number Six."

mrh@Shasta.UUCP (02/11/87)

In article <15205@onfcanim.UUCP>, terry@onfcanim.UUCP (Terry Higgins) writes:
> In MacDraw it is possible to stretch a picture vertically and/or horizontally
> Is there a way to do this in either application so as preserve the aspect
> ratio of the picture, that is, so that the scale factor is constrained
> to be equal vertically and horizontally?  (I've checked the manual.)
>
> Terry Higgins  {watmath,musocs,micomvax}!onfcanim!terry

   I don't know whether this works in WORD but the shift key works in
MacDraw to constrain the selection. In MacDraw you first have to press the
mouse button on the handle THEN hold down the shift key, THEN resize the
picture. I remember looking forever in the manual and never finding...

David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          UUCP address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538
usual disclaimer #432 applies: my employer apologizes for the fact
that I have access to this net.