[comp.sys.mac] Two Problems

glassner@unc.UUCP (02/13/87)

Hi!  I'm having a couple of problems using my Mac+, and I thought
I'd appeal to the net.  I have a Mac+ and 800K external drive under
Finder 5.3 and System 3.2

Unusable Disk:  I wished to erase and re-use a disk recently.  I removed
 everything on the disk to the trash except for one application, for which
 the Finder gave me an error alert: "That may not be duplicated or moved".
 Seeking a cause for this alert, I opened ResEdit and did a "Get Info"
 on the persistent application.  Four switches were on: Bozo, Bundle,
 Initied, and File Protect.  I unchecked the first three, but I could
 not turn off File Protect.  I closed ResEdit and tried again to throw
 away the file: the same error alert.
   I wasn't able to select "Erase Disk" from the Finder at any point
 (it was grayed).  So I figured I would just copy over some other disk
 on top of it, in the hopes that that would erase the problem file.
 I used CopyIIMac 4.51 to copy a playpen system disk to the disk with
 the sticky file.  The copy completed normally.  When I returned to the
 Finder and re-inserted the disk, I an the alert telling me that the
 disk was damaged, and presented the disk initialization dialog (buttons
 for eject, one-sided, two-sided).  I selected two-sided.  The result
 was an error alert stating that the intialization failed!  My only
 option was to click in "OK".
   That's been the story ever since.  I'd love to empty this disk, and
 make it look like I had just unwrapped it for the first time.  But now
 I cannot even get it accepted by my Mac.
   The wisdom of the net is humbly requested for assistance.

---------------------------

System Crash:  I am working on an application.  Inevitably, a pointer
 goes astray, and I get a system bomb alert.  My only choice is to reboot
 the system - which takes a while.  Is there anything I can do, in the
 Finder, System, or my application, that will enable the system to resume
 after such a problem?  I wouldn't mind if it just rebooted itself auto-
 matically, but something more graceful (and fast!) would be nice...

Thanks for any help!

--

-Andrew

Andrew Glassner
glassner@unc	decvax!mcnc!unc!glassner

akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (02/13/87)

In article <906@unc.unc.UUCP> glassner@unc.UUCP (Andrew S. Glassner) writes:

> goes astray, and I get a system bomb alert.  My only choice is to reboot
> the system - which takes a while.  Is there anything I can do, in the
> Finder, System, or my application, that will enable the system to resume
> after such a problem?  I wouldn't mind if it just rebooted itself auto-
> matically, but something more graceful (and fast!) would be nice...
                                              ^^^^^
              We are talking about the Mac here aren't we ;-)

--
-----------------------
Atul Kacker

dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (02/13/87)

In article <906@unc.unc.UUCP>, glassner@unc.UUCP (Andrew S. Glassner) writes:
>  ...I'd love to empty this disk, and
>  make it look like I had just unwrapped it for the first time.  But now
>  I cannot even get it accepted by my Mac.
>    The wisdom of the net is humbly requested for assistance.

Try running a bulk tape eraser over it.  This is what I do when I want
to get the initialize dialog again for a disk.

It sometimes works for disks that won't initialize when they're new, too.

---
Paul DuBois     UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois    |
                ARPA: dubois@unix.macc.wisc.edu                   --+--
                      dubois@rhesus.primate.wisc.edu                |

"My help does not come from the hills"
                      Psalm 121:1

fry_b@husc4.UUCP (02/13/87)

In article <1062@uwmacc.UUCP> dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois) writes:
>In article <906@unc.unc.UUCP>, glassner@unc.UUCP (Andrew S. Glassner) writes:
>>  ...I'd love to empty this disk, and
>>  make it look like I had just unwrapped it for the first time.  But now
>>  I cannot even get it accepted by my Mac.
>>    The wisdom of the net is humbly requested for assistance.
>
>Try running a bulk tape eraser over it.  This is what I do when I want
>to get the initialize dialog again for a disk.

	An even simpler way, if you don't feel funny doing it, is to go
to a library that has one of those electronic book detection systems
at the door.  Go to the main desk and convince them to wiggle
your disk down inside the place where they zap the books after
you check them out.  Voila!  Instant de-guassing!
	This may not work at I all libraries, I suppose, but it was
very successful at Johns Hopkins's MSE.

David Fry				fry@huma1.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics		fry@harvma1.bitnet
Harvard University			fry%huma1@harvsc4.bitnet
Cambridge, MA  02138			...!harvard!huma1!fry

mark@rtech.UUCP (02/14/87)

In article <906@unc.unc.UUCP> glassner@unc.UUCP (Andrew S. Glassner) writes:

> goes astray, and I get a system bomb alert.  My only choice is to reboot
> the system - which takes a while.  Is there anything I can do, in the
> Finder, System, or my application, that will enable the system to resume
> after such a problem?  I wouldn't mind if it just rebooted itself auto-
> matically, but something more graceful (and fast!) would be nice...

Well, I don't know if there are any other solutions, but I've got a 2Mb
MonsterMac from Levco, and got RamSafe for it (PROMs and a small program
from CJS Systems in Berkeley, CA) that gives me a non-volatile ramdisk.
I no longer bother trying to ExitToShell, since rebooting is now about 4
or 5 seconds!  Besides, ExitToShell can cause problems if the filesystem
or other useful system stuff has been trashed, and sometimes the ExitToShell
code itself has been trashed.

While I'm here, I've noticed that my first reboot doesn't run any INITs
that are not in the system file, but subsequent reboots do.  Any hints?
This is RamSafe 1.1, System 3.2, Finder 5.3.

Mark Wittenberg
Relational Technology
--

Mark Wittenberg