[comp.sys.mac] Possible bug in AppleShare, System 3.3/Finder 5.4

dbw@crash.UUCP (02/18/87)

I was at an Apple Dealer today, and the following problem occurred several
times while I was there.  I was wondering whether anyone else observed this
problem.  Basically a Mac running AppleShare was being used to create new
system startup discs with varoius fonts.  The Mac was booted initially with
system 3.3/Finder 5.4 and placed on AppleShare.  A blank disc was then
formatted and a System 3.2 was dragged from a shared folder on the AppleShare
volume to the blank disc.  Some laserfonts were added to the system using
Font/DA mover 3.2, and then Finder 5.3 was dragged over from the same folder
to the same disc.  During this process only the Finder was used to move files.
The resulting disc would not be able to boot a Mac; further analysis using
Fedit + showed that the boot blocks were never written.  I thought that the
boot blocks were always written when the finder moves the system to a disc.

All the Macs on the AppleLink network were running 3.3/5.4, both were
MacPlus's, the AppleShare volume was on an HD20SC.

scott@apple.UUCP (02/19/87)

In article <809@crash.CTS.COM> dbw@pnet01.CTS.COM (David B Whiteman) writes:
>...  Basically a Mac running AppleShare was being used to create new
>system startup discs with varoius fonts.  ...
>...  A blank disc was then
>formatted and a System 3.2 was dragged from a shared folder on the AppleShare
>volume to the blank disc.  ...
>The resulting disc would not be able to boot a Mac; further analysis using
>Fedit + showed that the boot blocks were never written.

The boot blocks of an AppleShare server cannot be read (they are outside of
the volume).  Finder 5.4 knows this and doesn't try to copy them which
causes the problem you describe.  A work-around is to copy on a System file
from a non-AppleShare volume first.
--
				--scott douglass, Apple Computer
CSNet:  scott@Apple.CSNet	UUCP:  {nsc, voder, well, dual}!apple!scott

gus@Shasta.UUCP (02/21/87)

In article <809@crash.CTS.COM>, dbw@pnet01.CTS.COM (David B Whiteman) writes:
> I was at an Apple Dealer today, and the following problem occurred several
> times while I was there.  I was wondering whether anyone else observed this
> problem.  Basically a Mac running AppleShare was being used to create new
> system startup discs with various fonts
> The resulting disc would not be able to boot a Mac; further analysis using
> Fedit + showed that the boot blocks were never written.  I thought that the
> boot blocks were always written when the finder moves the system to a disc.

The Finder copies boot blocks to a disk from the source disk when you copy a
System and Finder to it (and there was not one there already.) Since AppleShare
is an External File system, (the protocol does not demand that the Server be
a Mac - only the current implementation...) there really is no place that the
Finder can get the original source boot blocks from. Although the local
system must have boot blocks, (ou  cannot boot off of AppleShare) boot block
parameters such as Finder and Startup file names, and system heap size can
vary from disk to disk, so this is not reliable.

The only current solution is to first copy a local system and finder to the
floppy, and then to overwrite what you need from the server. Fedit's "Write
boot blocks" function also seems to work pretty well.