[comp.sys.mac] Shar for the mac?

zen@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (02/14/87)

	I was wondering if anybody had done shar for the Mac? It would
be very,very useful to be able to only download the shar file and then
break it up at the Mac.

		Thanks

			Nick

--
	Nick Zentena

	UUCP:           zen@utgpu {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}
        BITNET:         zen@utorgpu.bitnet, zen@gpu.utcs.utoronto
        UofT LAN:       zen@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
        Internet:       zen@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (This may not be
                                                   recognized quite yet)

	I don't need no stinking signature

       Everything I say has no possible meaning if you think it is controversial.

jimb@dopey.UUCP (02/15/87)

in article <1987Feb13.230922.18562@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, zen@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Nick Zentena) says:
)
) 	I was wondering if anybody had done shar for the Mac? It would
) be very,very useful to be able to only download the shar file and then
) break it up at the Mac.
)
No shar, but 'fpack' was written by Gary Perlman for Unix and IBM PC.
I ported it to the Mac. It packs TEXT files into a single file, and unpacks
it.
Sources to both have been posted in the past, as well as the Mac binary.
I have all the above.

Requests accepted.
--
+==== Jim Budler ==== Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. ==== (408) 749-5806 ====+
|               Compuserve:     72415,1200                                 |

eer@ritcv.UUCP (02/16/87)

Another approach, which does not have the advantage of doing
text compression, is to use unix 'more' to create a single file
via the command
	% more *.* >whatever

When you do that, more creates a file with the individual source
files separated by
	::::::::::::::
	source/file/name
	::::::::::::::

which can then be parsed.  Obviously this works best with source files.

I've written a little 'c' routine for Lightspeed C which 'unmore's
such files.  If anybody's interested in such a hack, I'll send it
via mail.

Frankly, I'm more interested in knowing if anybody has ported the
ARC program from the public domain to the mac.  If it does compression,
it would be better if running on both the unix and the mac ends.
The 'c' source was posted a while back, but I haven't had a chance to
play with it yet.

Ed Reed - Rochester Institute of Technology
phone:    (716) 334-3006
Delphi:   EERTEST
GEnie:    SQA.INC
Usenet:   ...rochester!ritcv!eer

jimb@dopey.UUCP (02/17/87)

in article <98@ritcv.UUCP>, eer@ritcv.UUCP (Ed Reed) says:
> Frankly, I'm more interested in knowing if anybody has ported the
> ARC program from the public domain to the mac.  If it does compression,
> it would be better if running on both the unix and the mac ends.
> The 'c' source was posted a while back, but I haven't had a chance to
> play with it yet.

Someone has a MacARC0.02 or such posted on Compuserver or Delphi.
It's called beta and has an expiration date built in. I downloaded it
but haven't gotten Unix ARC running ( which of the X copies works?)
so can't even say if it works. By now my copy may have expired even.
Given the expiration date I haven't been too interested in trying.

--
+==== Jim Budler ==== Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. ==== (408) 749-5806 ====+
| Compuserve:     72415,1200                             Delphi: JIMBUDLER |

blob@bnrmtv.UUCP (02/18/87)

> in article <98@ritcv.UUCP>, eer@ritcv.UUCP (Ed Reed) says:
> > Frankly, I'm more interested in knowing if anybody has ported the
> > ARC program from the public domain to the mac.
>
> Someone has a MacARC0.02 or such posted on Compuserver or Delphi.

Leo Laporte has ported ARC to the Mac.  It's called MacArc, the current
version is 0.2, and it only does unARCing.  He plans on having a newer
version soon.  You can download it from many Mac BBSs, such as:
	MacQueue I, San Francisco	(415) 661-7374
	MacQueue II, San Francisco	(415) 753-3002
which are run by Leo himself.  He's also the author of QDial, a
background dialing DA.

--Brian Bechtel		{amdahl, hplabs, csi}!bnrmtv!blob

keeshu@nikhefk.UUCP (02/21/87)

In article <1434@bnrmtv.UUCP> blob@bnrmtv.UUCP (Brian Bechtel) writes:
>Leo Laporte has ported ARC to the Mac.  It's called MacArc, the current
>version is 0.2, and it only does unARCing.  He plans on having a newer
>version soon.
>--Brian Bechtel		{amdahl, hplabs, csi}!bnrmtv!blob

 Is there a kind soul out there who would post this to the net (if MacArc is
PD, ofcourse..). We Europeans don't usualy donwload from US BBS's.

(as the saying goes): Tanks in advance

-- Kees

PS. If, instead of posting you'd like to mail : my mail addresses follow below.

clubmac@runx.UUCP (02/22/87)

In article <281@dopey.AMD.COM> jimb@dopey.AMD.COM (Jim Budler) writes:
>No shar, but 'fpack' was written by Gary Perlman for Unix and IBM PC.
>I ported it to the Mac. It packs TEXT files into a single file, and unpacks
>it.
>Sources to both have been posted in the past, as well as the Mac binary.
>I have all the above.
>
>Requests accepted.

Here's a request. Could you post the sources to fpack for UNIX and Mac ?

Thanks,
	Jason Haines