[comp.sys.mac] Apple/ the look and feel of toys

ted@imsvax.UUCP (02/06/87)

 Pierce T. Wetter of CalTech writes:

 >ha! ha! ha!
 >You were kidding, right? I mean no one would be stupid enough to
 >violently flame apple without knowing the facts, right? Like the
 >fact that Xerox at one time owned a large portion of apple stock
 >and was thinking of buying more?

 But they thought better  of it?   Makes  sense to  me, but hardly
 seems relevant to the topic of the article I posted.

 >Like the fact that some of the people who developed the original
 >Lisa interface at one time worked on the Xerox Parc project?

 Bad move on their  part and  I'm sure  they regret  it, but again
 irrelevant.

 >No one would be that much of a blazing idiot, right?
 >Mellowout.
 >  Pierce Wetter

 right

 >P.S. If  you are  so hung  up about  finding someone to be angry
 >with why don't you yell at addison wesley. They're charging $600
 >a copy  for the  mac version of TeX, a public domain program. No
 >site licencing either. Smooth guys real  smooth. To  be fair, it
 >isn't  really  AW's  fault  they're only distributing it, it the
 >programs authors who put on the limitations.

 The fact that the authors would attempt to charge Apple customers
 $600 for something which is nearly free to the entire rest of the
 world indicates that they have made a far  more damning judgement
 of   the   Apple   milieu,   including   the  relative  level  of
 sophistication of the typical  Apple CUSTOMER  than I  ever have.
 This isn't terribly insulting to ME, however.

 Relevant:  Adj.  Having a significant and demonstrable bearing on
 the matter at hand.

 Dan Bricklin,  the author of Visicalc who could conceivably claim
 a copyright on the look and feel of spreadsheets, claims:

      "The expansion  of copyright  protection is  saying that the
      whole  way  we  have  developed  software historically is no
      good.....  Historically, the industry has been made  on very
      small steps, improvements based on existing products."

 Picture Henry  Ford having  patented the automobile or the Wright
 brothers having patented the airplane.  The one  sure loser would
 have been the United States, which would have been limited to one
 brand of car or airplane exactly as Russians  are now,  while the
 rest of the world raced ahead with healthy competition.  We could
 easily lose any lead we now enjoy in computers in such a manner.

 Xerox, which invented the 8010 look and feel  in the  first place
 has not  been out  there suing  anyone and reputedly was ready to
 assist DRI in the Apple suit had it  come to  court.   Xerox is a
 competent  organization  which  obviously  believes in making its
 living in the real world rather than in  courtrooms.   That Apple
 is no longer capable of following such a course has nothing to do
 with DRI or Atari or anyone else copying  the "look  and feel" of
 the 8010  interface, but  much to do with another kind of a "look
 and feel" problem inherent to all  Apple products:   what  I call
 the look and feel of toys.

 When Joe  Businessman in  New York  City plunks down $3000 of his
 hard-earned cash  for a  small computer,  he doesn't  want to see
 plastic, 5"  screens, toy  keyboards, cutsie logos, machines with
 one floppy drive, or  EXTERNAL  floppy  drives  or  anything like
 that.   My first  reaction to the Lisa was disbelief;  I couldn't
 believe anyone would even try to sell anything  which LOOKED like
 that in  America.   Maybe in Borneo or the Australian outback....
 The Mac, unfortunately, doesn't  qualify  as  evidence  that they
 learned anything from the Lisa.

 By  the  way,  InfoWorld  reports  that  Adam Osbourn's PaperBack
 Software, and Mosaic Software are setting up legal  defense funds
 to fight  "look and  feel" suits from Lotus over their respective
 spreadsheet  offerings.  This  is  a  worthy  cause,  and  anyone
 interested  in  the  basic  health of the industry might consider
 sending one or both of them a check for $10 or $20.  We'd  all be
 better off if this "look and feel" ogre were killed dead.

 Ted Holden,
 IMS

andy@thelink.UUCP (02/08/87)

I have to wonder how far somebody can take this nonsense about
look and feel.  Like, AT&T claiming that Lattice C infringes
upon the "look and feel" of their C compiler...

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (02/08/87)

In article <677@imsvax.UUCP>, ted@imsvax.UUCP (Ted Holden) writes:

>  When Joe  Businessman in  New York  City plunks down $3000 of his
>  hard-earned cash  for a  small computer,  he doesn't  want to see
>  plastic, 5"  screens, toy  keyboards, cutsie logos, machines with
>  one floppy drive, or  EXTERNAL  floppy  drives  or  anything like
>  that.   My first  reaction to the Lisa was disbelief;  I couldn't
>  believe anyone would even try to sell anything  which LOOKED like
>  that in  America.   Maybe in Borneo or the Australian outback....
>  The Mac, unfortunately, doesn't  qualify  as  evidence  that they
>  learned anything from the Lisa.
>  Ted Holden,

...after all, Joe Businessman wants a computer on his desk that LOOKS like a
computer.  You know, solid steel, EXTERNAL monitors, takes up lots of room on
a desk.  You know, a computer that says "Hi, I'm a big important machine for
a big important man."  Obviously, Joe's computer is mostly for looks, anyway.

Okay, the screen is small.  I don't see too much problem with the keyboard.
I put it next to an IBM keyboard and it was the same size.  In fact, when I
looked at the Mac keyboard, it seemed tiny until I realised that it was a
normal size...it just didn't have all the function keys, external keypads,
cursor controls, num locks, scroll locks, etc.  My only gripe with the Mac
keyboard is that I occasionally miss the apostrophe and hit the return.  I
think that might have been corrected on the new keyboards anyway...

The PC-XT has one floppy drive.  If you have a hard disk, why do you need
two or three floppy drives.  If Joe Businessman is being halfway serious,
anyway, he has a hard drive.

As for cute logos, well, yes, a machine that greets me with "Welcome to
Macintosh" might turn off a serious computer user, but most people could really
care less.  Again, those people who are so concerned with how their computers
look and act are probably the people who are more interested in their image.
Me?  I use my computer to get work done.  Whether it looks like a toaster
or not, it does lots of things that the IBM PC people around here would kill to
be able to do.  That does more for my image than having a large hulking machine
sitting on my desk looking important.
--
"Nyah."                                           Peter Merchant
                                                  merchant@dartvax.UUCP

pdc@nott-cs.UUCP (02/11/87)

> Picture Henry  Ford having  patented the automobile or the Wright
This side of the pond he wouldn't have got the patent, someone called
Benz had the idea first. He even built the odd car or two!
--
	       Piers Cawley

opinions! I'm allowed to have my very own opinions! What's an opinion Mummy?

keith@telesoft.UUCP (02/19/87)

> >  When Joe  Businessman in  New York  City plunks down $3000 of his
> >  hard-earned cash  for a  small computer,  he doesn't  want to see
> >  plastic, 5"  screens, toy  keyboards, cutsie logos, machines with
> >  ... etc. etc.
>
> ...after all, Joe Businessman wants a computer on his desk that LOOKS like a
> computer.  You know, solid steel, EXTERNAL monitors, takes up lots of room on
> a desk.  You know, a computer that says "Hi, I'm a big important machine for
> ... etc. etc.

Those of us that do real work, with real desks, greatly appreciate the
notion of "small footprint".

Just like the fact I can park my Karmann Ghia many places Joe B. can't
get his Lincoln.

Small is beautiful.

Keith
--
Keith Allan Shillington  telesoft!keith@UCSD.ARPA         619/457-2700x388.ATT
My opinions are mine.    {ucbvax!sdcsvax,celerity,bigbang}!telesoft!keith.UUCP

nee@sdics.UUCP (02/21/87)

Sender:Clydene Nee

Tim Holden writes

 >The fact that the authors would attempt to charge Apple customers
 >$600 for something which is nearly free to the entire rest of the
 >world indicates that they have made a far  more damning judgement
 >of   the   Apple   milieu,   including   the  relative  level  of
 >sophistication of the typical  Apple CUSTOMER  than I  ever have.
 >This isn't terribly insulting to ME, however.

While one the subject of sophistication.  Why not discuss the corporate scare
tactics a certain *large* computer corporation has used on many naive company
managers to buy their product.  There are many well known stories of managers
being told if they didn't buy XXX computer that they would lose their jobs.
Ther's a lot to be said about the typical XXX customer.

Also, I know of one instance where the salesman sold company Z a computer
telling them that it would take care of all of their needs, however, forgot to
mention anything about the actual software needed to run the machine.

Recently a friend of mine purchased a computer.  They were told that the other
computer companys around couldn't be trusted to be around in 5 years, and they
they would have a hard time getting the machine serviced if it broke down.

> When Joe  Businessman in  New York  City plunks down $3000 of his
> hard-earned cash  for a  small computer,  he doesn't  want to see
 >plastic, 5"  screens, toy  keyboards, cutsie logos, machines with
 >one floppy drive, or  EXTERNAL  floppy  drives  or  anything like
 >that.   My first  reaction to the Lisa was disbelief;  I couldn't
 >believe anyone would even try to sell anything  which LOOKED like
 >that in  America.   Maybe in Borneo or the Australian outback....
 >The Mac, unfortunately, doesn't  qualify  as  evidence  that they
 >learned anything from the Lisa.

Yes, I think that everyone can agree that the Lisa was a big disappointment.
It is a much better machine than some other things that I have been forced to
use in the past.  Lets talk about the IBM System 36, where the power buttons
are exactly at knee level on the machine. I would like to know who designed
this feature.  And all the screen driven menus. Yes, and how about the manuals
on operation. I have never seen so much poorly written technical documentation.
And so much of it....And the training classes on it were laughable.
Yes, both the word processor and I loved the feature on the keyboard where you
would have to lift you hand off of the home keys to hit the return key.
However, if we want to talk about jokes lets discuss the PC jr.

I know for a fact that the engineering division one of a big computer
company uses A MAC for all their presentation graphics, and the office
manager uses it for all of their record keeping.

More Joe/Jane Business people are choosing the MAC because it is not a
learning intenstive machine.  If you where to look at the learning curves for
the MAC and related software verses IBM products I'm sure that you would see
that the average person would pick up the MAC faster than the IBM.  And time
is money.

Clydene Nee

goer@sphinx.UUCP (02/24/87)

     Isn't it about time we stopped carrying on like second graders, saying,
"My machine's better than yours."  Neither Apple nor IBM is an ideal outfit to
work with.  Apple spends its idle hours suing the competition, instead of
simply making better, cheaper products.  IBM sits around playing market-
ing games, and giving people the old line about not being able to get
clones fixed five years from now (Who's going to be using a PC five years
from now?  What technician can't service, by and large, any compatible?
Even if a clone fails, you can buy two or three of them for the cost of a
single IBM!).

     The Mac and the PC/AT each have advantages.  With MS-DOS you get an oper-
ating system that's not going to die soon, tremendous variety in software,
relative ease of development, etc.  With the Mac you get incredible flex-
ibility in the video display, and the ability to interface this display
with a printer in a very elegant fashion.  To die-hard MS-DOS fanatics, this
is going to sound like a cute, though largely wasteful, use of the CPU.  But
look - have you ever tried to, say, display Hebrew, English, and Greek to-
gether on a PC?  With an EGA it can be done.  But then you have to worry about
printing it.  And all the while, you have the tremendous overhead of getting
the machine to do something its designers provided no support for.  (Iron-
ically, because Mac software is not so prevalent as MS-DOS software, programs
which do multilingual word-processing with mixed right-left left-right lang-
uages [without screwing up wordwrap, etc.] are actually more readily found
among MS-DOS machines.  In fact, I don't believe any full-featured academic
word-processor that does this is available on the Mac, while MS-DOS has two.)
There are many other examples of advantages the Mac's user interface pro-
vides.  This is just one.

     The bottom line is that points are scored by both machines.  On the
other hand, each has distinct deficits - many of which are occasioned by
the attitude of its manufacturers/designers rather than by any intrinsic
deficiencies.  I think everyone would agree that each of the two outfits
could take a page out of the other's book.  IBM could create a much
more flexible video interface.  Apple could adopt an open-information
policy, and, in effect, open up the box.  Why not approach this whole matter
in a more even-handed manner, avoiding those silly, often quite uninformed
sorts of value-judgments which have marred much of the discussion?

                                             --Richard

smvorkoetter@watmum.UUCP (02/26/87)

In article <294@sdics.ucsd.EDU> nee@sdics.UUCP (Clydene Nee) writes:
>However, if we want to talk about jokes lets discuss the PC jr.

I happen to own a PCjr, and the only joke about it was the outrageously high
price for a "home" computer.  I got mine cheap, added the Racore expansion unit
and now have 640 K with two disk drives.  The PCjr is a very good machine.

	- it does not have DMA, but disk I/O is faster than any other PC or
	  PC clone I have tried, though I don't know why.  Only drawback is
	  that you can't type during disk I/O.
	- keyboard is compact.  All the keys are there, and they are all full
	  size, but the keyboard takes about half the space (Admittedly, the
	  original chiclet keyboard was a joke)
	- with the Racore extended memory, programs actually run FASTER on a
	  PCjr than they do on a PC.  The PC uses wait states, the PCjr does
	  not when running in the top 512K.  The bottom 128K is a different
	  story since the video circuit gets every other cycle.  Still only
	  about 10% slower than a PC there though.
	- better graphcis than a standard CGA, although completely downward
	  compatible.  Hi-res mode gives 640 x 200 in 4 colours, not just two.

I have used the PCjr for some serious development, and my only complaint is the
lack of a hard disk, although hard disk interfaces are becoming available.

IBM made several mistakes with the jr (price, original keyboard, original limit
of 128K), but their price reductions, new keyboard, peripherals and extra memory
and third party products make it the best bargain around.  Too bad they don't
make them anymore.